• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

King Tempo Cornet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
baseman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: King Tempo Cornet Reply with quote

Hi, this is my first post and I'd like to ask for your thoughts and opinions.

It's been a while since I played anything. I played bugle as a kid, now as an adult I'd like to pick up a trumpet or cornet to play. I'm not looking to be part of an ensemble or marching band.
Just looking to play for enjoyment and to add a little something to my wife's band.

Question: I have an opprtunity to purchase a King Tempo Cornet for $110.00 from the original owner. It's in nice shape and it looks like it was taken cared of.
I think it was made around 1977. Would this be a good horn to start off with? Pro's - Con's? Any thoughts, suggestions would be helpful. thanks
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: King Tempo cornet- student horn Reply with quote

King Tempo is an excellent student cornet.What mouthpiece is provided? Is there a 1st slide thumb saddle or ring? Have you pulled the slides and valves? Is a cornet case included? How does it sound and feel?

Welcome to the world of cornet playing.
Denis Wick 4 W classic gold short shank mouthpiece
Getzen 4 B short shank mouthpiece
Vincent Bach 5 B short shank mouthpiece
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tempo was a "mid-line" brand for King. It was a step up from the Cleveland student line and below the Master model pro cornet. King is quality; just make sure as the other poster noted, that slides and valves all work and nothing is stuck.
-Lionel
https://yourbrass.com/
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having had many King cornets and trumpets, I found the Tempo line to be one of the worst examples of a King. Maybe it was in bad shape, but I found it to be quite stuffy. The King 603 played much nicer and was a favorite of mine. Old ones can be had quite cheap.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Tempo cornets are indeed the mid-line. What makes them different in mid-'70's livery is the nickel plating. They have the same hardware as a Master Model, which usually means no 1st valve adjustment, only 3rd valve.

King Tempo horns are like the nursery rhyme of little girls and their curls: when they are good, they are very good. When they are bad, they are horrid.

Another thing that makes them stuffy is the King 7M mouthpiece, the one with a smooth exterior profile, which is essentially trash. Get a "real" mouthpiece for it. By the time this horn was made, King had long since discontinued the propriety shank taper and receiver and fell in line with the "Bach" standard shank taper and receiver specs.

Play the horn before purchase to make sure it is in good shape, and then send it to a tech to have the corks and felts aligned.

FWIW, I had my choice of a used Tempo and a used Cleveland for marching to go with my Super 20 for concert, and I chose the Cleveland instead.
baseman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Thank you all for responding and providing your feed back and suggestions.
The Slides and Valves work good. However, the cornet will need a good cleaning, the owner said It's been stored since 2007. I'm really surprised at the condition it's in. It looks pristine, no scuff marks or scratches. There is no 1st slide ring or thumb saddle but has a 3rd valve slide ring.
The mouthpiece is a King 7K and it come with the original case which is in very good condition. I blew a few notes and it seems like it sounds pretty good but like I said, it's been a while since I played anything.
I'll send it in to have it cleaned and evaluated for what ever else may be needed to bring it up to snuff.

Thanks !!!!
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: King Tempo cornet Reply with quote

Congrats on your purchase. It will play very well after a cleaning and tweaking by a tech.

Have you tried any other mouthpieces on this cornet?
Denis Wick 4 W classic gold short shank mouthpiece
Getzen 4 B short shank mouthpiece
Vincent Bach 5 B short shank mouthpiece
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: