• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Leigh Mckinney and Eclipse Trumpets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wee steve

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Leigh Mckinney and Eclipse Trumpets Reply with quote

I have been the owner of an Eclipse Large Yellow in gold plate for 10 years, I bought it 2nd hand and have loved it ever since, it was one of the first generation.

Unfortunately the weekend before last I dropped it at a gig and damaged the bell.

I took it to Leigh to see what could be done, basically it has now been rebuilt around the old Bauernfeind valve block.

I arrived at 5pm to the Eclipse workshop and was there until about half 7 trying all the different Eclipse combinations. I decided before I picked up the Celeste that I didn't like it as it's their new 'traditional' model and therefore is double braced like a Bach, how wrong was I, it was absolutely Amazing, As my bell was ruined and didn't sound anywhere near as good as these anyway, we spent the next twenty five minutes just swapping between the Medium yellow and the medium red, I couldn't decide as they both sounded amazing. The large lightweight yellow was superb too but as I already had the Large Yellow originally I fancied a medium bell. Leigh was incredibly patient whilst I tried every combo of bell and leadpipe.
The customer service was amazing, especially as it was after his days work.

Eventually we settled on the medium yellow Celeste CLS design, that is one beast of a trumpet, it is traditional in shape and design but with a a mass of power and projection and great thickness in the overtones in all registers, it just sings. The slotting and tuning are now so much better too.

Over the next two days Leigh totally rebuilt it and send me photos of the process at every step.

I cannot tell you how impressed I am with the finished article, i loved the original Eclipse I had but this is taking it to another League.

On its first gig I had a trumpet, I had another trumpet player ask me for lessons something that doesn't happen very often.

Here are some photos of Leigh's rebuild, at the moment in the photos it is raw brass but I'll update them when it's finished.

If you are at ITG go and see Leigh and try the Eclipse Celeste, you will be amazed.

Here are some pictures of the whole process, currently the leadpipes I have are The Celeste, the 40 and the 20. When I have settled on the one I like best Leigh is going to exchange the other two for sizes either side, so far and it's early days the Celeste pipe is wining. Leigh also built me a brand new 3rd valve slide from scratch taking up a lot of his time free of charge and has also said if I change my mind anytime before finishing the instrument he'll swap the bell or any other thing I am unhappy with. How many other manufacturers will give you that service. Just to let you know I only met Leigh for the first time last week.

The images are shown here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUenlsIgpIP/?taken-by=stephenclyde007&hl=en

Previous horns:
Eclipse Celeste CLS MY
Eclipse LY (rear tuned)
Bach ML37
B & S Challenger ii
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the pleasure of spending a lot of time with Leigh - mostly on the soprano cornet developments (if you check his facebook, you'll find pictures of the final version that's going to ITG... and maybe later of the crazy other one that's a particular love child of ours)...

Couldn't ask for a friendlier welcome or for a more fun time than a visit to see Leigh and Carl.

Naturally I've played near enough everything in the shop, from the Flower-Power trumpet (and other display specials) to a good selection of what happens to be on the shelf at the time... the Celeste's are wonderful, especially the CLS model and if I played enough trumpet to justify buying a serious horn, it would certainly be that one (MR for me).

(As you might guess, I'm rather biased...)
wee steve

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also loved the red, the reason we went Yellow is because I play a lot of Soul and Funk and hate the look of silver plate, Leigh reckoned the yellow will cut better than the red, as the red would darken if we lacquered it, but that red for jazz is a mouthwatering prospect.

I must admit I did play the Flower power it's a work of art and the little flowers underneath the valves actually spun

I think the Celeste is the best Trumpet I've ever played and don't think it can be called traditional, those laser welding bells don't half ring.

Previous horns:
Eclipse Celeste CLS MY
Eclipse LY (rear tuned)
Bach ML37
B & S Challenger ii
wee steve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok had the Celeste CLS rebuild for three weeks now, though for one week I was on holiday.
Still mega mega impressed with it, it's everything I want in a trumpet.
It's an amazing horn, a few q's for eclipse players though, or anyone with an interchangeable leadpipe. I have the Celeste pipe and the 4T and the 20. I did a gig on the Celeste pipe, I found it fantastic, but in the house I can't decide weather I like the 4T or the Celeste best, I am slightly favouring the Celeste but two people (non players) have said they prefer the 4T. I am going to go back to Leigh after choosing my fav pipe and he's going to swap the others for the one size below and above my fav.
My thoughts are that I should gig on all three pipes and then pick my favourite. How do you choose your favourite pipe, I am a little nervous of gigs on the 20 as psychlogically I know it's bigger and therefore I am scared my endurance won't be good enough. (I am a weekend gigger not a full timer).
Next big Question, mouthpiece thoughts, I play with a TCE style embouchure, I have been using callet superchops3 for the last 4 years but was never completely happy with it, however it does sound better with this horn, I have started practicing with a 7c and a 1.5c and the super chops, the 1.5c sounds much better but let's be honest it's a bucket, I gig mainly funk and soul covers, should I go on an mp safari? If so, I am thinking I might try monette and the mike Lovett pieces, any recommendations for eclipse horns? I want something slightly smaller than the 7 but with a great fat tone.

Lastly after I do the next gigs and I am happy Leigh is going to put a finish on the horn, what Eclipse finishes do we prefer, had gold plate before with a scratch bell but won't be doing that again because of cost. My preferred is scratch gold laquer but cannot do that because of the nickel on the valve casings, do not want silver or shinny laquer as it's just boring, possibly scratch laquer? Does it last? Any thoughts.

Previous horns:
Eclipse Celeste CLS MY
Eclipse LY (rear tuned)
Bach ML37
B & S Challenger ii
wee steve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok had the Celeste CLS rebuild for three weeks now, though for one week I was on holiday.
Still mega mega impressed with it, it's everything I want in a trumpet.
It's an amazing horn, a few q's for eclipse players though, or anyone with an interchangeable leadpipe. I have the Celeste pipe and the 4T and the 20. I did a gig on the Celeste pipe, I found it fantastic, but in the house I can't decide weather I like the 4T or the Celeste best, I am slightly favouring the Celeste but two people (non players) have said they prefer the 4T. I am going to go back to Leigh after choosing my fav pipe and he's going to swap the others for the one size below and above my fav.
My thoughts are that I should gig on all three pipes and then pick my favourite. How do you choose your favourite pipe, I am a little nervous of gigs on the 20 as psychlogically I know it's bigger and therefore I am scared my endurance won't be good enough. (I am a weekend gigger not a full timer).
Next big Question, mouthpiece thoughts, I play with a TCE style embouchure, I have been using callet superchops3 for the last 4 years but was never completely happy with it, however it does sound better with this horn, I have started practicing with a 7c and a 1.5c and the super chops, the 1.5c sounds much better but let's be honest it's a bucket, I gig mainly funk and soul covers, should I go on an mp safari? If so, I am thinking I might try monette and the mike Lovett pieces, any recommendations for eclipse horns? I want something slightly smaller than the 7 but with a great fat tone.

Lastly after I do the next gigs and I am happy Leigh is going to put a finish on the horn, what Eclipse finishes do we prefer, had gold plate before with a scratch bell but won't be doing that again because of cost. My preferred is scratch gold laquer but cannot do that because of the nickel on the valve casings, do not want silver or shinny laquer as it's just boring, possibly scratch laquer? Does it last? Any thoughts.

Previous horns:
Eclipse Celeste CLS MY
Eclipse LY (rear tuned)
Bach ML37
B & S Challenger ii
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we (as players) look for isn't necessarily what non-players listen for - we're looking for our favourite tone in the feedback and what feels the most comfortable, whilst the non-player is judging the sound from a different angle and they might not be married to the same preconceptions we are, there might be something about the 4T that just sounds great to the listener?

What do players listening think?

Leigh's​ got a damned​ good ear but things often sound brighter in his shop than in rehearsal rooms and gigs - it'd be interesting to see what he picks.

Maybe have a friend/partner record you on multiple pipes and label the recordings with names that don't give it away and see which you pick out blind - sometimes what we think we should like isn't what we actually do when preconceptions are taken out of it.
wee steve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Celeste pipe to me is incredibly resonant especially in the lower register. The 4T is very easy to play. TBH I haven't had it near any players yet, I may have to do that. My preconceptions are that I want to like the bigger pipes more as my brain tells me bigger pipe more bigger sound but I know that's not the case. I might have to play in front of some others and maybe get them to play too so I can hear from a listeners point of view though I know they sound nothing like I will on it. I thought an interchangeable leadpipe system was just a gimmick so I am surprised it's such a hard choice, I spent the first week changing leadpipes every ten minutes, maybe I should keep both the Celeste and the 4T and just choose another. The other thing is as I am just getting back into practicing I haven't played a lot upstairs a few scales up to and around a top c but that's about it, most of my practice has been in and below the stage so I'm going to change that in the next week and see what sounds best upstairs.

Previous horns:
Eclipse Celeste CLS MY
Eclipse LY (rear tuned)
Bach ML37
B & S Challenger ii
trumpetgeekIII
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOOOOOOVE THAT MAN!!!
ECLIPSE MY
ECLIPSE ENIGMA
ECLIPSE EQUINOX
EClIPSE FLUGEL
CALICCHIO #2555
SMITH-WATKINS
wee steve

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I picked up the Eclipse last night after it was finished. Just whoa, what a stunning horn, been playing on callet whilst it was in for finishing, my range dropped a bit, my tone was poorer and my articulation sloppy, even in a paranoid moment booked an embouchure lesson, got the eclipse home and all the problems I have been having are gone, could be psychological or it could just be that these Celeste CLS models are amazing. As promised here are the pics of the finished article which just don't do it justice.

https://instagram.com/p/BbUSrKcArb9/

Previous horns:
Eclipse Celeste CLS MY
Eclipse LY (rear tuned)
Bach ML37
B & S Challenger ii
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the good fortune to win an Eclipse in one of Leigh's contests years ago. I opted for the medium red. It is a gorgeous horn. It has a thick dark sound. I recently sold a 1951 Committee that I had purchased. It just could not displace the Eclipse as my go to jazz horn.

Thanks again, Leigh!!!
wee steve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a used Medium red, in parkers about ten years ago and I preferred my Large Yellow (these where the rear tuned). With the new bells I honestly couldn't decide, the red definitely had a special character, if money was no object, I'd have them both.

Previous horns:
Eclipse Celeste CLS MY
Eclipse LY (rear tuned)
Bach ML37
B & S Challenger ii
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the MY and MR about the same, there's something special about the LYL though - the room just seems to come alive in every decent players hands that I've heard, there's something there that really excites me... But it wouldn't blend as well in a section of Bach's as the MR would, I'm sure
wee steve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a few reasons why medium suited me, I know the LYL is the most popular at the moment but I’m not the strongest and my theory was bigger Bell more air. Also I had the large Yellow before and I sounded very mellow on it which was amazing for jazz ballads etc.. but not so much for funk and soul etc... I like the new medium yellow because I can still sound really smooth on ballads but cut on stevie wonder style stufff, win win.

Previous horns:
Eclipse Celeste CLS MY
Eclipse LY (rear tuned)
Bach ML37
B & S Challenger ii
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's definitely a personal element to it, for sure, and your logic makes perfect sense to me.

Interestingly I prefer the tighter (4T and 6T) pipes regardless of which bell is on, but the 4T is apparently such a good match to the LYL that it's the standard pipe for it (ie: the non-CLS) where the medium is generally preferred with the C or O pipes... So I guess it makes sense that I'd like the bell that particularly suits that 4T pipe anyway - interesting that I also prefer how others sound on it
wee steve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spent two hours recording for someone, a sort of Mexican style piece acoustic guitar trumpet and vocals, the first 10 takes, i used the CL the second hour I used the 4T, I love em both, sounds gorgeous, not sure which I prefer yet, I don’t suit the 2T randomly though I have only tried it once for a few minutes.

Previous horns:
Eclipse Celeste CLS MY
Eclipse LY (rear tuned)
Bach ML37
B & S Challenger ii
trumpetmaniac72

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I just had an amazing experience dealing with Leigh today, like few hours ago. My story is not entirely related to Eclipse trumpets, but rather to the type of attitude and service you get with Leigh. I had a lead pipe and tuning slide sent to Leigh for repair and plating work. Leigh contacted me like 30 minutes after receiving my parts in the mail. Send me before and after (yes, after) pictures. I immediately contacted him on the phone to discuss what to do. As the main leg on my tuning slide had some rot spots on it, he suggested he can replace it with part from other vintage Bach Strad. We discussed different matters related to sound and I shared that I would love to try a rounded slide on my 43/43 Bach as I use it primarily as a lead/commercial horn, but still get some classical gigs. My current setting is the regular D shaped slide which works well for both, however a rounded one might be even more suited for commercial work. Well, what did I know, he's answer was literally: let me see what parts from vintage Bachs I have and if I have some, I will build you a rounded slide! I was stunned! How many shops you know would go to that extend? Leigh contacted me like couple of hours later, the old slide was fixed, the new one made and both ready to be shipped to the plating shop! Honestly, I have never seen a better service and such a responsive gentleman! Not to mention his prices are hard to beat by anyone! We discussed complete overhaul on a trumpet-if you are interested in such a service contact him. His price is times less than what Bach charges and I am sure he will do a better job! With 36 years of experience he knows his craft!
Next step-a trip to Eclipse factory to test trumpets and perhaps a custom trumpet order will follow.
I can only compare my today's experience dealing with Leigh to one I had dealing with Dave Monette, who after a 30 minutes conversation over the phone sent me overnight 3 mouthpieces to try and keep if I like.
wee steve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the same boat when leigh built me a brand new 3rd slide and made it matching to the rest of my valve slides, with the nickel on there. His custom trumpets don’t half play but if you want an idea of how good his rebuilds are of beaten up Bach strands check out his personal Facebook he’s just done at least three amazing rebuilds two of vintage crackers.

Previous horns:
Eclipse Celeste CLS MY
Eclipse LY (rear tuned)
Bach ML37
B & S Challenger ii
trumpetmaniac72

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wee steve wrote:
I was in the same boat when leigh built me a brand new 3rd slide and made it matching to the rest of my valve slides, with the nickel on there. His custom trumpets don’t half play but if you want an idea of how good his rebuilds are of beaten up Bach strands check out his personal Facebook he’s just done at least three amazing rebuilds two of vintage crackers.

Sorry, perhaps it is the language barrier, but I am not sure I understand what you mean by "his custom trumpets don't half play".
When I said custom, I mean an Enigma or CLS based trumpet with customized details.
wee steve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It means they are really amazing players. I haven’t tried the Enigma but love the Celeste CLS. Though they are a range they are custom because they are tweaked to your individual wants and needs.

Previous horns:
Eclipse Celeste CLS MY
Eclipse LY (rear tuned)
Bach ML37
B & S Challenger ii
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: