• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Favorite musicians?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Favorite musicians? Reply with quote

Not just trumpet or instrumentalists: Who are your top 5 favorite musicians?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dexter Gordon
Peter Damm
Miles Davis
Renee Fleming
Art Pepper

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is impossible to limit the list to 5 people. I mean, on my recording artists list there isn't room for Pops? Doc Severinsen? Wynton Marsalis? Wayne Bergeron? Clark Terry? Diana Krall? Marian McPartland? David Benoit? Frank Sinatra? Mel Torme? Sarah Vaughan? Barbara Streisand? So many more...

That said, the 5 people who wrote the best music I have ever heard:
Bach
Mozart
Beethoven
Mahler
Debussy
(and it killed me to leave off Haydn just for his string quartets - sublime)

Recording Artists:
Jussi Björling
Jascha Heifetz
Maynard Ferguson
Arturo Sandoval
Bob James
(So many left off this list)

Regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Mathes
Herbie Hancock
Jimmy Webb
Jake Shimabukuro
Pat Metheny
Abroadway

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not doing a top 5 but:

The band "Dirty Loops," were a very pleasant surprise to hear. Their music features heavy jazz influence, and combines this with astonishing musical talents in all of the main band members. If that's not enough, they have a few tracks that feature Wayne Bergeron killing it on lead!
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great answers.
I agonized over my own list, but I think it would be something like this:

Wynton Marsalis:
I wanted to say Louis Armstrong, but Wynton is who really made me love trumpet when I was in 7th grade...also Fred Mills and Ron Romm, but especially Wynton. I had recorded a Jazz at Lincoln Center off of PBS onto VHS, and I literally wore it out. I would love to have a copy of that concert again. It had Wynton and the LCJO, and also Doc Cheatham, Art Farmer and Benny Golson. That also sparked my long love of Art Farmer's music.

Glenn Gould:
Gould is one of my favorites for reading, writing and studying, although I have to be careful not to get sucked in and caught up into what he is saying through his piano. I love Bach in general and I especially love his interpretations.

Johnny Cash:
The man in black. His music has been influential to me my whole life. Others who might have filled this spot are Hank Williams Sr., Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, and Kris Kristofferson.

Four and Five go together as they were both huge guitar influences on me:
Doc Watson and Chet Atkins:
These two influenced my own personal guitar style more than any others. Other close runners up in this category would be Merle Travis, Norman Blake, Tony Rice, and Tommy Emmanuel.
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaysonr wrote:
Great answers.
I agonized over my own list, but I think it would be something like this:

Wynton Marsalis:
I wanted to say Louis Armstrong, but Wynton is who really made me love trumpet when I was in 7th grade...also Fred Mills and Ron Romm, but especially Wynton. I had recorded a Jazz at Lincoln Center off of PBS onto VHS, and I literally wore it out. I would love to have a copy of that concert again. It had Wynton and the LCJO, and also Doc Cheatham, Art Farmer and Benny Golson. That also sparked my long love of Art Farmer's music.

Glenn Gould:
Gould is one of my favorites for reading, writing and studying, although I have to be careful not to get sucked in and caught up into what he is saying through his piano. I love Bach in general and I especially love his interpretations.

Johnny Cash:
The man in black. His music has been influential to me my whole life. Others who might have filled this spot are Hank Williams Sr., Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, and Kris Kristofferson.

Four and Five go together as they were both huge guitar influences on me:
Doc Watson and Chet Atkins:
These two influenced my own personal guitar style more than any others. Other close runners up in this category would be Merle Travis, Norman Blake, Tony Rice, and Tommy Emmanuel.

Chet Atkins was such an amazing musician. There is a wonderful article about Chet that was written by Janis Ian. They were very close friends and her tribute to Chet is very heart felt.
Google In Memoriam: Chet Atkins and you should find it.
I loved watching Chet play, he was so relaxed. He had such mastery of the instrument but made it look so easy. Chet would always try to learn new things and would practice until he was satisfied. Read the article, an amazing musician and even better guy!
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was great, peanuts, thanks.

I got to meet Chet in 1990, when I was 10. He was so kind to me, and that's what I remember the most, was his warm, kind personality. He gave me one of his thumbpicks, which I will treasure until I die. Occasionally, I actually put it on and play with it. It was way too big when I got it, but it fits now. I still play the same brand today, but I always feel like I play a little better with Chet's on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: