• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

uncontrolled chin shake during concert

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: uncontrolled chin shake during concert Reply with quote

I have fairly old chops (same class as Vince DiMartino, Phil Collins, Chappy Perry) and have mostly been a college teacher and recitalist, playing the last 30 years in the local symphony. The chops have routinely gotten a workout to some degree every day.

Last Friday night the weirdest thing happened. Twice on holding G above staff (or somewhere in that locale) my chin, all on it's own, started a HUGE vibrato. My brain said STOP, my chin said NO WAY.

Never happened before and hasn't happened since. At this point I'm not looking for a "cure" since it hasn't happened enough. What I'm looking for is to see if anyone has seen or had this happen

(Outside pops concert, probably in the high 70s, lots of playing (Raiders, Superman, Rocky type stuff), tiring but not enough to get an assistant. Also used a smaller mpce for brighter sound)

Anyone seen this?
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

Once is an irritation and means nothing.
Don't worry.

Now for people with a problem:
If it starts happening 30% of the time then it is something that needs attention.

Essential tremors, Parkinsons, Palsy if it happens suddenly, Dystonia and a few other things can cause this. It starts on a few notes but if a player keeps playing and doesn't get help then it can finally do this to all notes played.
The list gets scary but many things can be controlled IF they act before they lose everything.

I point this out because I have seen a few people with Dystonia that ruined their playing by ignoring the signs and pushing through until they crashed. And with Bells palsy fast medical treatment is vital.
7,000 pages of free music. Trumpet Books, Skype Lessons: www.BbTrumpet.com
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this happen twice. Both times I was in an audition and nervous. It's been years since the auditions and never happened again.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pops said it all. If it happened once, don't fret. If it happens more, see a doctor.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be all kinds of things...

Sounds a bit like one of the examples in one of Dave Wilken's youtube clips, can't remember what the cause was but there was one with uncontrollable tremors... Might be well wide of the mark, but without seeing it, everything is speculation... Maybe worth checking out to see if it resonates?

I'll see if I can find the link...

Edit: https://youtu.be/nAELJiAYfCo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: