• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

C Trumpet, Large Bore, Going Sharp on High G

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottseward

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: C Trumpet, Large Bore, Going Sharp on High G Reply with quote

Help! I'm trying to figure this C trumpet thing out. I play on a Yamaha Chicago C and Bb. Mouthpiece is a GR67c** converted for sleeves by Matt Frost. I'm using the equivalent of a Reeves 5 on the C, and a little less gap on the Bb. But no matter what piece I use on my C, I hit G above the staff and go very sharp. I tried every stock mouthpiece I own with a tuner...

This only happens on my C, Bb plays very comfortably. I feel like the large bore on the C trumpet is the culprit, but I'm not sure how to balance my gear. I feel less endurance and less range on the C, e.g., I can play a high D comfortably on the Bb, less so a high C on C trumpet.

Confused as to what to try next - larger Gap on the C? More efficient leadpipe? I'm very comfortable on my Bb. Thanks in advance.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a C. They're quirky.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try pulling the tuning slide some more- I'd bet you're on the high side the entire time on your C. Are you playing it much? There is some acclimation. I play on a 9445CHS and it's a great instrument. Good luck.
scottseward

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play every day, and I do love the instrument, just can't figure out why my Bb plays so much easier. Thanks for the replies
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long have you played C trumpet, compared with Bb?

The last thing I'd do is mess with the horn. The Yamaha Chicago is one of the best and most in tune C trumpets out there.

Your mouthpiece has a large throat entrance and large backbore. Could be too big (although, generally it's odd that it's not pitchy on the Bb where many people like a smaller threat and backbore)

Most likely, constant work with the horn is all you need. Don't just practice on it. Play it in ensembles. A C slots differently from a Bb. Also, your ears may be fighting themselves if they're grounded in Bb trumpet.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: C Trumpet, Large Bore, Going Sharp on High G Reply with quote

scottseward wrote:
Help! I'm trying to figure this C trumpet thing out. I play on a Yamaha Chicago C and Bb. Mouthpiece is a GR67c** converted for sleeves by Matt Frost. I'm using the equivalent of a Reeves 5 on the C, and a little less gap on the Bb. But no matter what piece I use on my C, I hit G above the staff and go very sharp. I tried every stock mouthpiece I own with a tuner...

This only happens on my C, Bb plays very comfortably. I feel like the large bore on the C trumpet is the culprit, but I'm not sure how to balance my gear. I feel less endurance and less range on the C, e.g., I can play a high D comfortably on the Bb, less so a high C on C trumpet.

Confused as to what to try next - larger Gap on the C? More efficient leadpipe? I'm very comfortable on my Bb. Thanks in advance.

Generally speaking, the tighter nature of a C trumpet requires a more open throat than the Bb trumpet. I would look into that element first, as well as the backbore. A player can use a standard mouthpiece on the Bb, but require a larger throat and backbore for the C trumpet. My suggestion would be to first look there. An open backbore (to a point) can lower the upper register of the trumpet.

Then, I would practice without a tuner. Play the same thing on the Bb, then transpose down a step and have it "sound" the same. Use your ears to guide your pitch, not your tuner. This can be very beneficial to overall pitch. Getchell's First Book of Practical Studies can offer easier etudes that you can easily transpose, and concentrate on tone and tuning. Do this for a while with a well-tuned Bb, but do not constantly obsess over the tuner. Listen to bring down the pitch and match on both instruments.

The goal for me is to have both instruments with a similar, if not equal, tone and tuning characteristic. If that still doesn't work, I would be in contact with Bob Malone for potential suggestions. He designed the horn, he knows it better than anyone.

But I'll be honest, I am betting you will not have to do that, because the use of your ears instead of a tuner will be more comfortable and allow you to relax into the pitch on the C trumpet.

Hope this helps,

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
scottseward

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all. I am a comeback player, but have played a C for many years. This has always been a struggle. I feel like my playing has stabilized now, however, and that a careful look at my setup is in order. It seems I run counter to the norm. Like maybe a tighter backboard or smaller throats on thC trumpet will help. I like the suggestion of not using the tuner and going for a similar feel on each horn. Thanks again
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottseward wrote:
Thank you all. I am a comeback player, but have played a C for many years. This has always been a struggle. I feel like my playing has stabilized now, however, and that a careful look at my setup is in order. It seems I run counter to the norm. Like maybe a tighter backboard or smaller throats on thC trumpet will help. I like the suggestion of not using the tuner and going for a similar feel on each horn. Thanks again

I hope it works. Please keep us informed, and let me know if I can be of any additional help.

Good luck!

AL
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: C Trumpet, Large Bore, Going Sharp on High G Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:
Generally speaking, the tighter nature of a C trumpet requires a more open throat than the Bb trumpet. I would look into that element first, as well as the backbore. A player can use a standard mouthpiece on the Bb, but require a larger throat and backbore for the C trumpet.

Al, how many sizes more open would you recommend starting with?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: C Trumpet, Large Bore, Going Sharp on High G Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
dr_trumpet wrote:
Generally speaking, the tighter nature of a C trumpet requires a more open throat than the Bb trumpet. I would look into that element first, as well as the backbore. A player can use a standard mouthpiece on the Bb, but require a larger throat and backbore for the C trumpet.

Al, how many sizes more open would you recommend starting with?

I would typically start with 1 throat larger at a time, so that I do not overdo the opening too much and ruin the mouthpiece. With GR pieces, the guys there may be able to best advise you on throat sizes. Many of my friends who play a Bach 1 1/2 standard (as an example) on their Bb trumpets will open a second one to a 23 throat for their C trumpets.

If you work with the backbore, from a standard backbore for a Bach mouthpiece ( which is called the #10), I would consider either a 7 or a 24. Both are larger than the 10, but not too big. I have a Bach 1 with an 87 backbore and 24 throat that I used to play a lot. It was very open, but the backbore brought the upper register down in pitch nicely. Unfortunately, ordering a larger backbore takes time. I know the fellows at Osmun, Dillon, and a couple other folks can do it for you as well, and I honestly feel like any of those folks (and others) could do a great job of opening the backbore up.

The only disadvantage? If you go too large, that mouthpiece is now effectively ruined for you. Others might find it perfect though, so a market exists. I used to alter my "second" mouthpiece, and then play it for a while. I kept the favorite set aside until I was comfortable with the second, then altered it in exactly the same way (one bit taper larger at a time) until I got to where the two played equally well. Typically, the second and the favorite both improved to the point where I couldn't (without looking) find the differences I had with them when they were stock.

As an aside example, my Monette Prana Bb has a 14 throat, and my C Prana has an 11 throat. I know they sound huge, but they work on the Monette horns.

All best wishes,

Al
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may wish to consider the obvious. If every mouthpiece, every time has the same issue, it isn't the mouthpiece, but the horn.

Try a different C trumpet... For not very much, you can get a Kanstul/Besson. You may well be very surprised!

Cheers

Andy
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
Try pulling the tuning slide some more- I'd bet you're on the high side the entire time on your C. Are you playing it much? There is some acclimation. I play on a 9445CHS and it's a great instrument. Good luck.

+1. I also recommend practicing with a drone. I've been doing that a lot lately, and it's made me realize that I should pull out the tuning slide slightly. I can play in tune where I had the slide, but it forces me to lip down more—now that I've been pulling the slide out a bit more, not so much. Practicing with a drone is a great way to pick up on these things.
Piccolo Stomvi
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 6th partial in the overtone series is sharp by nature (physics). A mouthpiece can exacerbate the issue as well as inadequate compromises made by the manufacturer.

I hope I am not being Captain obvious but blowing straight ahead on a trumpet without knowing the inherent intonation tendencies of a brass tube can lead one astray.

My tight mouthpieces bring out the worst in inherent trumpet intonation. That is why I use bigger back bores on smaller horns. It took years of stubbornness to figure that out due to my thick skull.

Best of luck
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful to not go too big on a c trumpet throat.

A GR67C** is a free blowing mouthpiece with an open backbore and an opened theist entrance compared to the c*. It's very much geared towards c trumpet already.

You can ask GR what his thoughts are. Wonder what he'd think about your sleeves on the mouthpieces!
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott-

There is something about that G on almost every C trumpet out there. For me it's often more of a problem when I need to play soft. When playing out at full volume the G can be "tamed" a bit easier, but at soft volumes it is a challenge!

I wouldn't get too deep into the mouthpiece throat thing at this point. That road leads to a mindset that any and all problems need to be attacked by changing mouthpieces or horns, etc. Listen carefully, use a tuner for feedback, and spend some time teaching yourself to do what you need to do to play the G in tune. There is no magic mouthpiece, or mpc alteration, that will solve these issues.

JU
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the stock mouthpieces you have tried - were some of them Yamaha's such as the 17B4 and 17C4 - they have slightly smaller backbores.

1. Have a friend play your C while you listen and check with a tuner. Don't tell them of the problem with G.
2. Check with GR and tell them the model of Yamaha you have.
3. Check with Matt Frost - there might be a backbore solution - he wrote a niffy dissertation on the effects of changing different sections of the backbore.
4. Try a different tuning slide. See if M/K has anything for trial in either smaller or larger ID.
5. Check the Stomvi site on the intonation effects of too little or too much gap.

http://stomvi-usa.com/learn-about-the-annulus-gap/

6. Review TH past discussion on gap and Yamaha trumpets - here's one
http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1476335
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with much of what has already been said here. a GR C** setup is already a good setup for a C trumpet. While the throat bore at it's smallest point is a 27, it has a very open throat exponent and a very open backbore. I'm a little surprised it works so well on Bb. I'm wondering if you tried a C* on Bb if that would then bring the C** more into balance on the C? Like, maybe you are used to compensating for a pieces that's a bit open for your Bb and it makes you over compensate on the C?

Again, that goes into another rabbit tail, and like John said and others have said, that is likely not the best place to go.

You have what is a well made, well in-tune C, and all C trumpets have that tendency to some extend. I recommend what others have said, just play the C as much as possible for a while, which gives you a chance to work up your Bb transposition to a level of second nature while you are at it, and revisit the idea in about a month or so.

Best of luck to ya!
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, since you are dealing with GR mouthpieces, please reach out to Brian Scriver. He's on the forum, or you can e-mail him from the GR website. I say this because I don't know that he plays close attention to this particular area of the forum. He's only 2nd to GR in knowledge about GR pieces, and would be one of the best people to help you make the player -> mouthpiece -> horn match. Shoot a couple of videos for him, and he'll give you spot on advice!

Good luck!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al - thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
scottseward

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have talked with Brian at GR - very helpful.

I think what this comes down to is that I have always been more comfortable on Bb. I took a lesson from Mark Inouye a few years ago, and he made that comment. I wanted to deny the truth, because I want to sound at ease on a C, but I still struggle.

I went through a period of experimentation with Monette, and the Prada throats caused all sorts of problems. When I first tried the GR, it seemed to have the right balance of throat opening and backbone. I tried the sleeves, because I thought they might be the elusive answer for C trumpet.

I know that I am probably trying to many things, but I am 50 years old and have played since I was 8. I went to music school, where because I was an ed. major, my education was geared more toward learning music, rather than breaking down my playing.

I'm not ready to give up, but this is a tremendous source of frustration. I recognize that I am not the most efficient player, but I don't think my equipment helps me, since I seem to have found a set-up and comfort level with the Bb trumpet. Thanks again for the advice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: