• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

"Stunt" high F

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: "Stunt" high F Reply with quote

Co-opted from another thread.

Joshua712 wrote:
If you (gently) tap the mouthpiece with your palm, the horn "tell you it's name" so to speak - a Bb horn will produce Bb Concert, an Eb trumpet=Eb, and so on and so forth

When I was in the Army band program, there was a Navy instructor Senior Chief Ed Rodgers at the Armed Forces School of Music aka the SOM who did this stunt where he would nail a high F cold on any trumpet with any mouthpiece. He would get his pitch doing what you said - popping the mouthpiece lightly to get a C then gauge the F from that. I never saw him miss. He was making rounds at the barracks one night as the NCO in charge of quarters and he did it using some huge bucket of a Schilke trumpet mouthpiece that belonged to a tuba player who used it to buzz at the behest of his instructor who felt it would focus his sound. I think it was whatever the largest trumpet mouthpiece was that Schilke made. Someone asked him to do his "trick", so Chief Rogers borrowed this mp, put it in whatever horn someone had and nailed a sizzling high F.

Oddly as I recall his personal mouthpiece had a rim that he'd had machined absolutely flat, you would think he'd be restricted in what mp he could function on, but he did the above mentioned stunt on any mp that was handy.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel

Last edited by Robert P on Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

his stunt "F" just wanted to be all that it could be
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:
his stunt "F" just wanted to be all that it could be

"Be all that you can be" is an Army slogan but okay - lol.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for bringing up Ed Rogers.

When I went through the SOM, he appeared to me to be just another Navy petty officer who played trumpet. He was 4th chair in the faculty jazz band, and a pretty humble guy. But one day he stopped by the jazz band rehearsal I was in, and asked the instructor to play a particular chart (a trumpet solo) so he could "warm up" for a gig he had the next day. He then proceeded to blow the walls down. I was flabbergasted at his range and sound.

The 4th chair stuff was nonsense. He and Bob Pomerleau were the two top Navy guys there at the time, but neither ever got to play lead (while I was there). It was pure military pecking order policy.

I assume that ended when Ed reached the rank of Sr. Chief.

Below is something more current on Ed.

https://vineyardgazette.com/news/2015/09/07/if-its-taps-it-must-be-edson-rodgers

Jeff
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetteacher1 wrote:
But one day he stopped by the jazz band rehearsal I was in, and asked the instructor to play a particular chart (a trumpet solo) so he could "warm up" for a gig he had the next day. He then proceeded to blow the walls down. I was flabbergasted at his range and sound.

I didn't get to hear him play a lot but what I heard was really good. He was the instructor of the jazz band class I was in.

I remember he had a photo on his desk of a Navy band trumpet section that included a skinny young Stan Mark back in his Navy days. By the time I was at the SOM Stan had gained notoriety as Maynard's lead player. I met Stan at a Maynard concert just down the road from the SOM in Newport News.

Quote:
Below is something more current on Ed.

https://vineyardgazette.com/news/2015/09/07/if-its-taps-it-must-be-edson-rodgers

Jeff

Excellent, thanks for posting that!
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: