• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Backwards Progress

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrumpetProbs

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Backwards Progress Reply with quote

Lately, I've noticed a decline in my ability to practice efficiently every day. I'll wake up and I'll be excited to play later on that day, but when I pick up the horn and play for about 10 mins through my warm-up I'll tend to get frustrated with my playing. I don't know if it's because school is out and summer is here or what. Does anyone have advice on how to get motivated or on how to practice properly when unmotivated?
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, and it's not really difficult: as the Nike slogan said, just do it. No, it's not always fun, interesting or exciting, but what separates the people who become accomplished from those who don't is dogged determination. Just like real life, it's not always fun. Sounds like your problem is not ability to practice, it's motivation to practice. The guys who reach a very high skill level didn't get there by only showing up for rehearsals and gigs, they did it in practice rooms.

That being said, you need to know WHAT to practice, apparently you're not taking lessons? Finding a qualified teacher should be your next priority, that will help you more than any school band rehearsals, contests, concerts, etc.

Brad

Last edited by Brad361 on Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play music. Not exercises. Not stuff somebody assigned. Play music you like. Be in a band. Play gigs.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
Play music. Not exercises. Not stuff somebody assigned. Play music you like. Be in a band. Play gigs.

I don't completely agree. Sure, what you mention absolutely is important, but so is working on fundamentals, exercises and "stuff somebody assigned."
Today's society has become about "feeling good", "enjoyment", etc. Sure, those things should be part of life, but so should developing the determination to wade through the aspects of life, in this case playing an instrument, that may not always be fun.

Brad
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Richard III wrote:

I don't completely agree. Sure, what you mention absolutely is important, but so is working on fundamentals, exercises and "stuff somebody assigned."
Today's society has become about "feeling good", "enjoyment", etc. Sure, those things should be part of life, but so should developing the determination to wade through the aspects of life, in this case playing an instrument, that may not always be fun.

Brad

I'm kinda with both of you in different ways.

If the motivation problem is due to boredom with practice routines... then perhaps stripping them back a bit and playing more music might make it easier to pick the instrument up each day and at the very least tread water (ie: not make significant progress, but not regress either).

But, not making progress is an opportunity missed... lots of students won't practice properly over the break - if you want a great opportunity to come back in further up the class (or futher clear of the class? ) then this is it.

Do you know of any local groups you can play with that might help to motivate you?
If not, how about local players? Any opportunities for starting a quartet or quintet?
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason we get frustrated while practicing is that we don't sound the way we want to.

I wold estimate in the vast majority of cases, the frustration is due to not knowing what or how to practice. That knowledge will not come from playing in a band unless it is the elemental and basic sort of information. To really get to know what you need to do, go get a good teacher and start doing what they tell you to do.

Keep doing this all summer and on into next school year. See how you feel about your practice then. there is a chance you will feel much more positive about it.

cheers

Andy
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest setting goals and then practicing to attain them. The awareness of progress and the meeting of goals is motivating.

For the last 8 months I have played very little music. I practice daily, almost exclusively on exercises. It is not boring because I am improving. My range has greatly improved. I have memorized all of the major scales (and I am playing them faster), etc.

That said, there is something to be said for playing music that you enjoy as well.

Regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
y-o-y
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"regression"
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to some great music. That always gets me motivated to play.

If it's a practice session, think about what you will work on and try to accomplish. Thinking about the "big picture" gets me motivated to practice the things I need to work on.
Piccolo Stomvi
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 minutes in is often when bugs in our chops first show up. They are there to be worked out! This is why so much of TH bandwidth is devoted to specific warm-up routines, fundamentals and pedagogy. Long tones, Clarke and Schlossberg are favorites for a reason. (Its to get us ready for Arban, right?
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much time did Louis spend playing exercises.? College has taken over music. Listen. Learn. Imitate. Innovate. Make it happen.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
drboogenbroom
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practicing is a matter of habit, not willpower. If you are having to force yourself to practice, you are already starting out in a bad place. It needs to become something you do everyday, without particular emotional impetus or attachment. We don't get frustrated with "bad showers" or motivated by "good showers," we just build a habit of showering, if we value being clean. If we value being a musician, we build a habit of practice.

So far as the meat of that practice goes, get with a teacher. Really. You won't improve if you don't work on the right things in the right way and it is too easy to get a teacher these days. There are a number of world class teachers who offer skype lessons if you don't have someone in your area.

The structure of lessons will also help you build the practicing habit.
Kevin

Bruno Walter
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.businessinsider.com/my-11-year-old-son-auditioned-at-juilliard-2017-5
ztay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Practice Reply with quote

I see this a lot with my students.
One thing I tell them is to, right when you have the urge, to play. Don't wait until later in the day if you can help it. Because if you do it will effect your mental capacity to play as well as your actual abilities.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
How much time did Louis spend playing exercises.? College has taken over music. Listen. Learn. Imitate. Innovate. Make it happen.

How much time did J.B. Arban spend playing exercises?

How much time did St. Jacome, A. Liberati, and Jules Levy spend practicing exercises?

How much time did Herbert L. Clarke spend playing exercises?

How about Maurice Andre?

How about Doc Severinsen, Wayne Bergeron, and Arturo Sandoval?

How about Chris Martin? And Phil Smith?

The answer to all the above questions is, a lot.

And not incidentally, how much time did Louis Armstrong spend playing exercises? A lot. He grumbled about it, but his wife made him practice classical literature, etudes and other practice material for hours a day during his formative years.

To the OP:

From my teacher's book Brass Playing Is No Harder Than Deep Breathing:

Quote:
Brass playing is a form of athletics. This means the aspiring playing must train and coordinate like all athletes. This also means, if you are lazy, forget it.

I don't mean to be harsh, but I'm being candid with you: If you want to become a great trumpet player, or for that matter, even a good one, you are going to have to put in the time practicing a well-rounded daily routine, and practicing that routine correctly. It doesn't have to be six to eight hours long (unless you want to eventually play like Wayne or Arturo), but very few can become good, solid trumpet players without building up slowly to a daily routine that takes a couple hours a day to go through. On the bright side, I can tell you that once you have achieved a decent level of playing ability, an hour or so a day of daily practice will pretty much maintain that ability (or at least keep you close enough to your peak that a few weeks to a month of wood shedding will get you back in top form).

Now go do what I'm about to do. Pull out that trumpet and as Adolph Herseth would tell you (and this is a direct quote), "practice your butt off!"

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
http://www.businessinsider.com/my-11-year-old-son-auditioned-at-juilliard-2017-5

Excellent, excellent article.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's a certain inevitability to having times where you lose ground. Everyone has an evolving idea of how to get ahead, but that idea is often imperfect. When you follow your imperfect method your progress may stall or retreat. When that happens, that's the time to take stock of what works and what doesn't, tweak your approach, and come at it from a slightly different angle.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:

Sure, but IMO that's far too vague and abstract for most students. "Make it happen".....ok, HOW? I'm fairly sure we are talking about a student here, suggesting listening, innovation, etc. are not incorrect, but not enough for someone with minimal experience.

Brad
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Richard III wrote:

How much time did J.B. Arban spend playing exercises?

How much time did St. Jacome, A. Liberati, and Jules Levy spend practicing exercises?

How much time did Herbert L. Clarke spend playing exercises?

How about Maurice Andre?

How about Doc Severinsen, Wayne Bergeron, and Arturo Sandoval?

How about Chris Martin? And Phil Smith?

The answer to all the above questions is, a lot.

And not incidentally, how much time did Louis Armstrong spend playing exercises? A lot. He grumbled about it, but his wife made him practice classical literature, etudes and other practice material for hours a day during his formative years.

To the OP:

From my teacher's book Brass Playing Is No Harder Than Deep Breathing:

Quote:
Brass playing is a form of athletics. This means the aspiring playing must train and coordinate like all athletes. This also means, if you are lazy, forget it.

I don't mean to be harsh, but I'm being candid with you: If you want to become a great trumpet player, or for that matter, even a good one, you are going to have to put in the time practicing a well-rounded daily routine, and practicing that routine correctly. It doesn't have to be six to eight hours long (unless you want to eventually play like Wayne or Arturo), but very few can become good, solid trumpet players without building up slowly to a daily routine that takes a couple hours a day to go through. On the bright side, I can tell you that once you have achieved a decent level of playing ability, an hour or so a day of daily practice will pretty much maintain that ability (or at least keep you close enough to your peak that a few weeks to a month of wood shedding will get you back in top form).

Now go do what I'm about to do. Pull out that trumpet and as Adolph Herseth would tell you (and this is a direct quote), "practice your butt off!"

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested

ABSOLUTELY.

Vague suggestions about "listening", "innovation", etc. made to a young student are simply not enough, and IMO might even be detrimental. If the OP wants to improve, I don't believe there are any shortcuts around what John mentions. PRACTICE, tons of it and practicing the right material is what works. Might not always be fun, which seems to be something 2017 society feels ALWAYS needs to be primary.

Brad
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting back to the original post. If you're getting frustrated in 10 minutes then you need to reconsider what it is you're doing in that 10 minutes and how it is that you're doing it.

I used to be guilty of believing that I'd make the best use of my time by playing the hardest things I could fine. Low and behold, in just a few minutes time I was shot. It took me a really long time to realize that all I was doing was getting really good at beating myself up. I'm not suggesting that's what you're doing but there's may more unproductive ways to practice than there are productive ones.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: