• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Breathing Tip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Breathing Tip Reply with quote

Hi all, I recently discovered a breathing tip that really helps to make playing easier. Try this: before you take a breath, push your shoulders back and lean backwards a fair amount. After you're done taking a breath and are about to play, return so your back is at a normal angle and make an extra effort to tense your abdominal muscles.
I'm not sure if this is common knowledge, but it helped me a lot.
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Breathing Tip Reply with quote

Pt wrote:
Hi all, I recently discovered a breathing tip that really helps to make playing easier. Try this: before you take a breath, push your shoulders back and lean backwards a fair amount. After you're done taking a breath and are about to play, return so your back is at a normal angle and make an extra effort to tense your abdominal muscles.
I'm not sure if this is common knowledge, but it helped me a lot.

Whatever works for you Pt its good. IMHO we dont see breath support discussed here anywhere near enough. And while I'm not quite one of those,

"Air support is everything" type cats?

I can still see the wisdom of those who are such air fanatics. The fact is that almost everyone learning and playing the trumpet is naturally predisposed to turning off his air supply. Especially when the more demanding technical phrases come up.

Maynard was wise to emphasize both,

Air support and esp,
The STANCE

Miles once thought Maynard was full of of it when he was told by The Boss (Davis called him "Fox" and they were great, lifelong friends),

"Your upper register problem is caused by your stance".

Yes Miles, like most trumpet players at first refused to accept the idea that his STANCE can be critical at helping a lead player.

I used my last lead trumpet gig in a full sized big band to force myself to remain in exactly the same stance as Maynard describes. See "Maynatd Ferguson, Canadian Stage Band Festival" on a Youtube search.

And while I could go on for literally hours about my thoughts concerning the various embouchure types and separate systems for each of them?

Never-the-less in my life I have never seen a more helpful video related to high note production than The Boss's late 1970's Canadian stage band festival clinic. I urge everyone to take it seriously. Plus? Its simple!! As it added another two sets of endurance to my abiity to blow lead in a challenging big band first trumpet book.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a very good interview on ITG with Lee Loughnane of Chicago. He discusses some breathing techniques that he uses. He began studying with a Claude Gordon disciple named Paul Witt. He was well in to his 40's when he did this and feels that it helped his playing quite a bit.
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peanuts56 wrote:
There's a very good interview on ITG with Lee Loughnane of Chicago. He discusses some breathing techniques that he uses. He began studying with a Claude Gordon disciple named Paul Witt. He was well in to his 40's when he did this and feels that it helped his playing quite a bit.

Loughnane does not have the easiest gig in the world. Even though his isnt a screech chart. Ive played in numerous Chicago cover bands over the years and can verify that certain charts like "Make Me Smile" esp when performed in sequence with the longer "Ballet For A Girl In Buchanon" is a real test of endurance. Someone blowing 2nd really helps the solo/lead player. But? Chicago has no 2nd trumpet player. Contrary to BS&T.

(If I must spell out what those 3 initials mean? You're not a true trumpet geek...)

The brass interlude to "Make Me Smile" only goes up to a mere B natural below high C. Yet after the whole song gets played and at the end of a second set? Typical trumpet players may start to pray just that they'll make it through.

Ive played bonified screech gigs that seemed easier than the trumpet book for Chicago. And the highest note that I know of is just an E above high C from the Chicago 7 album. Loughnane is to be commended for hanging in there the past 50 years. Its not easy what he's doin.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: