• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Need case to hold 1 horn, 2 mutes, ~1" of music

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctownj30

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Need case to hold 1 horn, 2 mutes, ~1" of music Reply with quote

An hour of Googling and no luck. I'm trying to find a case that can hold:

1 x Bb trumpet
2 x mutes (normal size)

...and about 1 in. of music (really, a notebook and a bit of sheet music).

Want it to be as streamlined as possible (buying a 3-horn case and cramming some music in isn't what I want to do).

Is there nothing out there? Sick of carrying a separate bag with my music. I used to have a case with a case cover and I crammed the music under the cover but that's not great either.

If not, can someone recommend a custom builder?

-djm
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an older Bach case cover with an outside zippered pocket that will hold music. If you happen to have a Bach (or Bach case) and can find one of those covers, you're in business...

snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the Protec singles? The contoured ones look pretty slim, and I assume the outer pocket could fit a couple of mutes and some music...

http://www.protecstyle.com/product-p/mx301ct.htm

http://www.protecstyle.com/product-p/pb301ct.htm

http://www.protecstyle.com/product-p/pb301tl.htm
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
I have an older Bach case cover with an outside zippered pocket that will hold music. If you happen to have a Bach (or Bach case) and can find one of those covers, you're in business...

Dale,

Where do you live and will you be out tonight?
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snichols wrote:
How about the Protec singles? The contoured ones look pretty slim, and I assume the outer pocket could fit a couple of mutes and some music...

http://www.protecstyle.com/product-p/mx301ct.htm

http://www.protecstyle.com/product-p/pb301ct.htm

http://www.protecstyle.com/product-p/pb301tl.htm

I will add though, that finding the combo of slim + carrying full size music folders could be a challenge, since music folders themselves are rather wide. You might have to go with something slightly bulkier just so it has a pocket that's wide enough... might need to go with something like http://www.protecstyle.com/product-p/mx301.htm.

I actually bought a tablet to put all of my music on since my case pocket wasn't wide enough for the paper music. So I sort of side-stepped that problem...
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Need case to hold 1 horn, 2 mutes, ~1" of music Reply with quote

ctownj30 wrote:

1 x Bb trumpet
2 x mutes (normal size)

Want it to be as streamlined as possible (buying a 3-horn case and cramming some music in isn't what I want to do).

Is there nothing out there? Sick of carrying a separate bag with my music. I used to have a case with a case cover and I crammed the music under the cover but that's not great either.

I think what you're asking - slim, single trumpet, mutes, plus lots of room for music - doesn't exist. Some of those criteria are directly at odds. I remember a Torpedo Bags video in which they had a mock email that asks for a case that holds 7 trumpets, fits in an overhead bin on a commuter jet, and costs less than $50. Until you can fold space and make a case bigger on the inside than the outside, I don't think you're going to be satisfied.

The two big roadblocks in your wishlist is the "slim" part and the music part. I never really found a case that adequately held a orchestral music folder - even my old ProTec triple had a pocket that was not large enough (this is a pre-iPac case) - so I gave up and carried it in a separate bag. I'm not sure if the new iPac triple and quad cases have a large enough front pocket for that - but they might. Here's your options as I can see them:

- Old Style case with a music slot. That's either the case + cover as Dale suggests or something like the new-ish standard Strad cases. Getzen also makes a case with a music slot. Some pictures linked below. Not sure if this is "slim."

https://media.music123.com/is/image/MMGS7/1852-Stradivarius-Trumpet--Flugelhorn-Case/467350000000000-00-750x750.jpg

http://www.kesslermusic.com/html/trumpet/getzencustom/3003S/new/case.jpg

- Torpedo Bag single with mute and music attachments. I prefer cases without stuff clipped to them - I'd rather have a tote bag, but this fits the critieria.

- ProTec iPac triple or quad case - with or without wheels. Definitely not slim. Large front pockets for music. Room for mutes in and other stuff in trumpet slots. Definitely not slim.

snichols wrote:
I will add though, that finding the combo of slim + carrying full size music folders could be a challenge, since music folders themselves are rather wide. You might have to go with something slightly bulkier just so it has a pocket that's wide enough... might need to go with something like http://www.protecstyle.com/product-p/mx301.htm.

I actually bought a tablet to put all of my music on since my case pocket wasn't wide enough for the paper music. So I sort of side-stepped that problem...

This looks interesting. I guess it depends how bulky your the music you're toting around is. Mine used to be a large orchestral folder or a large 3 ring binder, so there was never room for that in any case I owned or even saw.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Dale Proctor wrote:

Dale,

Where do you live and will you be out tonight?

Luckily, thousands of miles away...
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Need case to hold 1 horn, 2 mutes, ~1" of music Reply with quote

ctownj30 wrote:

1 x Bb trumpet
2 x mutes (normal size)

If not, can someone recommend a custom builder?

-djm

I think you are out of luck. Steve at Torpedo has told me the hardest part of making a case is the music pouch, because (for example) of the variety of music sizes out there (from standard paper to huge orchestral sized folios). Even my Coyote 2.5 won't carry an orchestral folio. It can carry a lot of things, but an orchestral folio is a no-go.

The Torpedo Outlaw can carry a single horn, mutes, and up to a full sized orchestra folio, but it won't carry a hard sided notebook. However, for all the other things you mention, a new Outlaw (*the first issued ones could not carry a full orchestral folio*) would work. Lots of room for mutes and music in the zip-on outside package, which works well.

I own a lot of different cases. Marcus Bonna does not make anything that will easily carry the folio. The music pocket would tear open after a while from the size of the folder.

Bach made cases for a while enough room inside the case for an Arban book and mutes. The new ones won't do that...so maybe look for one of those? I've even seen a few fit with rings on each end to attach a strap. But, it has limits too, and the durability of those cases was a concern when they were new.

Making a case isn't as simple as it sounds. Getting everything in the right spot can take a while, and add issues to the design.

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snichols wrote:
I will add though, that finding the combo of slim + carrying full size music folders could be a challenge, since music folders themselves are rather wide. You might have to go with something slightly bulkier just so it has a pocket that's wide enough... might need to go with something like http://www.protecstyle.com/product-p/mx301.htm...

Since the OP didn't say he needed room for a music folder, that one might do the trick.
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
snichols wrote:
I will add though, that finding the combo of slim + carrying full size music folders could be a challenge, since music folders themselves are rather wide. You might have to go with something slightly bulkier just so it has a pocket that's wide enough... might need to go with something like http://www.protecstyle.com/product-p/mx301.htm...

Since the OP didn't say he needed room for a music folder, that one might do the trick.

True, and it says the outer pocket is 9" wide, so one might be able to barely squeeze in a standard paper 2-pocket folder. https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Plastic-Pocket-Business-Assorted/dp/B01LZGJM3N/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1496779784&sr=8-5&keywords=folder+2+pocket

I really wish they made the Protec Xtreme case still. That had the best combo of slim single case with a roomy, expandable external pocket, and backpack straps. The external pocket could hold 4 or 5 mutes, or a bunch of music, or a combination of the two. Mainly because the pocket goes all the way to the edges of the case and had a few inches of depth, so you could even squeeze a concert folder into it if you put it in a little crooked. Mine's currently got a fair amount of damage, but I'm trying to keep it together because I like it so much.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
snichols wrote:

No, he said notebook, which to me is larger and harder than a folder. Maybe the OP can clarify?
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like what is generically known as a "Gladstone case." Getzen makes them for their instruments. Here's a pic of the one that comes with their Genesis trumpet:

I don't know if they sell these separately. You could call a Getzen dealer.

Kanstul also sells Gladstone cases with some of their instruments. I don't know if they have a place for music, though.

There's also a Jakob Winter Prestige trumpet case that has a place for music inside the lid. I'd be really careful not to put something too thick in there, though, because it could press against the second valve slide, which can mess up the valve action if the second valve slide gets bent inward.
Piccolo Stomvi
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:
Kanstul also sells Gladstone cases with some of their instruments. I don't know if they have a place for music, though.

The one that came with my kanstul pic does not have any room for music.
ltkije1966
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put all this in my Torpedo Classic.

I can't do a Orchestral Folio, but I can do 8 1/2" x 11" sheet music (up to about 1" thick) and two mutes.

I actually have to put in a "stiffener" so the music doesn't get bent when I have only a few pages (not 1" thick of music).

I can also put in a small music stand (one that I modified).
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:
No, he said notebook, which to me is larger and harder than a folder. Maybe the OP can clarify?

I was thinking a paper notebook, not an electronic one. Guess I'm showing my age...
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Alteri single gig bag with the "piccolo pocket" which will hold a full complement of mutes and a trumpet stand. http://www.altieribags.com/br_trumpet.html (#5)

Use an art folio case for music. I know it's two cases, but it's lite and not bulky.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
dr_trumpet wrote:

I was thinking a paper notebook, not an electronic one. Guess I'm showing my age...

Dale, you may be absolutely correct! That's why I asked the OP if he could clarify for us. Your folder would be a LOT easier to carry in most cases than mine would!

All my best,

AL
ctownj30

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help everyone! The Getzen case is actually exactly the sort of thing I had in mind (but don't love the hard/metal corners, etc.) - not sure why others' don't put a nice full-size pocket on the side...

I'm going to try to track one down and if that fails, I might be able to make one of the Protec cases work - I had seen those but didnt realize the pocket was 9" wide - usually I'm just carrying a notebook (standard 8.5x11 paper) and some printed sheet music so that might work - crazy that they would not make that pocket a bit wider...

-djm
lakejw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trent Austin has these. They're awesome.

http://austincustombrass.mybigcommerce.com/gl-combi-single-trumpet-fiberglass-case/

This also might fit your bill. Looks like a lot of storage.

http://austincustombrass.mybigcommerce.com/gl-cases-etui-trekking-glk-case-in-nylon/

johnlakejazz.com
ctownj30

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lakejw that 2nd link looks perfect! new winner. thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: