• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Louis Dowdeswell

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NevadaBigHorn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what happens anytime somebody sticks his head above the crowd. There's always an endless line of folks wanting to lop it off. You people are too much, really!
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The disagreement bit is fine, IMHO - it's the lost tempers and resultant snark that makes such threads a disappointment...
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Louis Dowdeswell Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
snichols wrote:
I'm also with Grits, I don't see why the speculative attack on Louis's playing ability is necessary.

The issue is with your and others' over-valuing and mischaracterizing one particular aspect of playing.

Quote:
Where did I say any of that?

What else do you mean by:

I'm also of the thought that a strong command of the extreme upper register is an impressive display of technique.

You're trying to categorize someone as technically proficient because of one aspect of their playing.

Good lord... Have a good day, Robert. Enjoy your weekend.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Louis Dowdeswell Reply with quote

snichols wrote:
Robert P wrote:

What else do you mean by:

I'm also of the thought that a strong command of the extreme upper register is an impressive display of technique.

Good lord... Have a good day, Robert. Enjoy your weekend.

I notice you don't answer my question.

I will have a good weekend.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Louis Dowdeswell Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
snichols wrote:
I'm also with Grits, I don't see why the speculative attack on Louis's playing ability is necessary.

The issue is with your and others' over-valuing and mischaracterizing one particular aspect of playing.

Quote:

You're trying to categorize someone as technically proficient because of one aspect of their playing.

One definition of "technique" - is "skill or command in a particular activity."

He also didn't actually say, "Louis is a technically proficient player."

This has become a battle of semantics where each side is trying to prove himself right.

Doesn't really do much to forward music making and enjoyment.

However, to get it back on topic, he has some pretty decent jazz improv in Zero to Hero and demonstrates a nice sound throughout the staff in his recording of When You Wish Apon a Star with Wayne Bergeron.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, you all are horrible. He's a kid with great chops, clearly patterns his sound after one of the greats, ol' Wayno, and that's a worth debating like a Fox News show?

Let's bring in Newt Gingrich and David Gergen to speak to the nuances of his mouthpiece policy. "Is he a salmon that swims upstream, or a carp? His relaxed corners are being investigated by the Senate Intelligence Committee."

"Let's pivot to his pivot."

jeez...

ed
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdMann wrote:
Boy, you all are horrible.

Nope.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
meoates1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All- it's a shame to see everyone get their pants in a bunch- it's all supposed to be fun- let music lift people up!

I have never met Louis, but ran across his vids years ago and was totally flabbergasted to see a young man with such a good command of the horn at such a young age. The most remarkable thing is that he would record himself in one take over VERY difficult numbers that most mature players cannot handle. It has never occurred to me to publicly criticize someone like him. If he has some success related to a great command of the high register- good for him- but he is a talented, well-rounded young man who we will be hearing about for a long time to come.

Here is a video I saw I while back of him while in high school - certainly a better command of the horn than I had then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnjhzttS1j0
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
EdMann wrote:
Boy, you all are horrible.

Nope.

THAT'S the quote you pulled? Man, I thought I was a better writer than that!

And I didn't see a question mark for someone to answer, not that your Rex Reed-ish review deserves it.
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis is a wonderful player and a very nice guy as well. He is quickly becoming one of London's top call players. I have seen him on tv playing with Michael Buble and I live in Canada. I would consider this confirmation that he can play.

I have found Louis to be wonderful every time I have been in touch with him. His playing is top notch, his video production is also top notch. He makes us all look good. Disagree? Ask Bergeron what he thinks.

Brian Scriver
www.grmouthpieces.com
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdMann wrote:
I thought I was a better writer than that!

Nope.

Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Here is a video I saw I while back of him while in high school - certainly a better command of the horn than I had then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnjhzttS1j0 "

that says it all. Wow. Well done, kid.

ed
meoates1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meoates1 wrote:
Hi All- it's a shame to see everyone get their pants in a bunch- it's all supposed to be fun- let music lift people up!

I have never met Louis, but ran across his vids years ago and was totally flabbergasted to see a young man with such a good command of the horn at such a young age. The most remarkable thing is that he would record himself in one take over VERY difficult numbers that most mature players cannot handle. It has never occurred to me to publicly criticize someone like him. If he has some success related to a great command of the high register- good for him- but he is a talented, well-rounded young man who we will be hearing about for a long time to come.

Here is a video I saw I while back of him while in high school - certainly a better command of the horn than I had then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnjhzttS1j0

And here is a one take shot of him playing through a cover of the Shorty Rogers chart Maynard Ferguson (I think I saw someone say that they would like to see him tackle this one ...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xwsaofTZyQ&list=LLaR_TVRQ0S99DNWno1yceFg&index=26

Edited: to add a link to MF
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B. Scriver wrote:
I have seen him on tv playing with Michael Buble and I live in Canada. I would consider this confirmation that he can play.Brian Scriver
www.grmouthpieces.com
My favorite post of the year on TH!
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grits Burgh wrote:
Hmm, I don't understand the criticism of Louis' playing. He is making very good music. I listen to all of the things he posts and really enjoy it musically. I know, different strokes for different folks, but that some music might not appeal to you isn't necessarily a reflection on the artist's technical ability.

+1 He does what he does very well. I can't relate to the criticism that he gets while earning his due. Good young player! I especially appreciate his apparent relatively effortless approach. If I knew how to do it that way, I would, as would many other honest players. Celebration of his success is appropriate. Think about it for a moment, this is an occasion for appreciating a valuable accomplishment, not a time for critical disdain.
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy hearing him play, he seems like a classy individual.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meoates1 wrote:
And here is a one take shot of him playing through a cover of the Shorty Rogers chart Maynard Ferguson (I think I saw someone say that they would like to see him tackle this one ...

What do you think of his attempt at Maynard Ferguson? How do you think it compares, apples to apples to Maynard's?
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
meoates1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
meoates1 wrote:
And here is a one take shot of him playing through a cover of the Shorty Rogers chart Maynard Ferguson (I think I saw someone say that they would like to see him tackle this one ...

What do you think of his attempt at Maynard Ferguson? How do you think it compares, apples to apples to Maynard's?

Ha! Are you saying apples to apples- Maynard on stage with the Kenton Band vs. a 16-year-old kid in his bedroom in one take after school while playing along with a recording of Arutoro Sandoval? Sorry- it ain't apples to apples. Did you check the other vid I posted oh playing the Harry James Concerto for trumpet in high school (probably 15 or 16 there...) If you haven't also checked out some of his other vids I suggest you give them a listen. MF stuff isn't everyone's cup of tea. As it is I can count on two hands the people I know that you can find a recording of any kind of them playing that number at all. I was only sharing in case you had missed it. There are plenty of examples of this young man playing with control, technique, style, sound- and yes plenty of high notes. It's just the icing on the cake. Everyone has a double c on the internet. Louis is not famous on the interwebs because he hits high notes. He has a following because he is a fabulous young trumpet player- who in addition to many other fine qualities, sounds great in the high register. If you don't dig it, it's cool man. I don't think it will affect him or me or anyone else. Come to think of it, not sure what I am doing here right now at all! I should be practicing!!
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meoates1 wrote:
Robert P wrote:
meoates1 wrote:

Ha! Are you saying apples to apples- Maynard on stage with the Kenton Band vs. a 16-year-old kid in his bedroom in one take after school while playing along with a recording of Arutoro Sandoval? Sorry- it ain't apples to apples.

So if you acknowledge it's highly flawed and isn't in the same universe as Maynard's recording what was your point in posting it? If it makes you feel better I don't think Arturo's recording comes close to Maynard's either. All it demonstrated was that he isn't the player that prime Maynard was.

Quote:
Did you check the other vid I posted oh playing the Harry James Concerto for trumpet in high school

Yes. Again, another performance that isn't close to the original. Yeah, high school kid. Again, what's it supposed to be evidence of? That like a lot of high school players he could do a hit and miss rendition of a piece that doesn't come close to the standard of the original? I'd be curious to hear him try it now. My money is on that he still couldn't do it as well as Harry.

Quote:
If you don't dig it, it's cool man. I don't think it will affect him or me or anyone else.

As I've stated previously my main issue isn't Louis - I'm sure he's prince of a guy and people hire him for what he can do on the horn. My original point is the annoying over-emphasis on high notes that people go on about. I haven't seen any evidence to negate my previous statement about technical facility. I don't think Louis right now could shine prime Doc's shoes, or even Doc at the same age that Louis is now.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
GOP Trumpet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you seriously saying that a 16 year old kid wasn't as good as one of the greatest trumpet players of all time? Just take a step back and look at what you're posting. I'm pretty sure LD would agree that he's not Maynard. Probably was having fun paying respects to one of his idols.

I think it's pretty evident that he has command of the horn, plays with a good sound and in tune. Here he is playing some tough music in a section: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk98yNrKbLQ

But I have to concede your underlying point: music is a competition and must be won at all costs. Maybe Louis will get lucky and win one someday.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: