• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

James Thompson "The Buzzing Book"

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeptrumpet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: James Thompson "The Buzzing Book" Reply with quote

Hello! This is my first post so bear with me

I am an upcoming junior in high school and I just started using this book due to my private teacher's recommendation/good testimonials from others.

The only problem I am having is that in exercise 2 I am unable to take in enough air to complete the phrase because I am breathing through my nose.
Does anyone have any tips on breathing or how to overcome this?

Also are there any other tips/information I need when using this book?

Thank you so much!
Mzony
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a slow breath over two beats, and start softly-very softly.
drboogenbroom
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Take a slow breath over two beats, and start softly-very softly

This. Every student I've ever used the book with starts exercise 2 way too loud and then tries to crescendo too much.

Bruno Walter
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those. But also, just think it through: you are breathing through your nose and can't get enough air in... The answer is there, keep breathing in! Until you are full. And the keep breathing.

Most, if not all, do not really fill up. Take your time and explore this usually neglected part of your playing!

Cheers

Andy
Jeptrumpet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the tips guys!

I'm glad I joined this very friendly and welcoming community.
YoungMW

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take lessons with a new-ish graduate of James Thompson. She introduced me to this book and I could not for the life of me do all of 2. She told me that everyone starts with difficulties on it and that is the whole point. It is such a simple thing yet so hard to do well.

The advice I got, that I will pass onto you is "work on it". I hated getting that answer, but it worked. Thompson explains in the book that each set of exercises takes weeks to master and you should be patient. Just practicing this a few times each day should help focus your aperture to where it is most efficient. It should also help your breath control.

This will take time, but you should see huge improvements in your playing
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: James Thompson "The Buzzing Book" Reply with quote

Jeptrumpet wrote:

I am an upcoming junior in high school and I just started using this book due to my private teacher's recommendation/good testimonials from others.

The only problem I am having is that in exercise 2 I am unable to take in enough air to complete the phrase because I am breathing through my nose.

Thank you so much!

Why buzz when you could be spending your time practicing and playing your trumpet?

Seriously,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
rlk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: James Thompson "The Buzzing Book" Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Why buzz when you could be spending your time practicing and playing your trumpet?

I am just starting to play again after a physician enforced suspension.

Statements like the one above really strike a raw nerve.

Seriously.
drboogenbroom
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

I have an immense amount of respect for you, and over the years (I joined this site when I was eighteen) I have come around to many of your views on trumpet playing. I am not a great player nor have I studied for 14 years from someone who has a dedicated forum on this site. Honestly, I'm just a high school/middle school band director.

However, from that perspective, I really have to wonder what you hope to accomplish by making comments like that to a 16 year old who has a private lessons teacher. Do you really think you are doing more good by attempting to undercut his trust in his current teacher than his current teacher is doing?

I'm not really interested in debating the merits of mouthpiece buzzing with you or anyone else in this context. But imagine if a high school student of yours came to you one lesson and said:

"Well Mr. Mohan, I've kinda been struggling with some of the stuff you've been telling me about and someone online said tongue arch was bunk and since I can't play a double C yet and I'm 16 I think they might be right."

At that point it doesn't really matter if using tongue arch to play is right or wrong. What matters is that some random on-line person, who might be a great player and a world class teacher or who might be just a random high school band director, or who may have never taught in any context in their life has actively tried to undermine the trust a student has in their teacher so they can.....make a point on a subject every long term forum member knows their thoughts on? And even in a best case scenario where it's coming from someone like you or Lynn Nicholson or Pat Harbison or many of the other site's pros and master teachers, none of you are there to guide the student towards becoming a better player every week.

It's fine to have these debates with adults and pros and people flailing around in the dark. But why run the risk of stepping on someone who is actually in a young person's life trying to make a difference?

I'm just some random dude who teaches about 300 young musicians a year, but to me it seems like professional courtesy.

Kevin

Bruno Walter
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: James Thompson "The Buzzing Book" Reply with quote

rlk wrote:
John Mohan wrote:

Seriously.

He seems to be compelled to inject this same condescending snark whenever buzzing is mentioned. Generally, without actually making a convincing case, or even any case at all, against buzzing. Whether any other player could or should be playing their trumpet seems to be something he assumes without actual knowledge of the facts.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Mzony
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: James Thompson "The Buzzing Book" Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Jeptrumpet wrote:

Thank you so much!

Seriously,

John Mohan

Boy do I get sick of your snide arrogance on this subject.
Many fine players find great rewards in buzzing. It's great if you don't, but why do you find it necessary to tell someone otherwise when he didn't ask you specifically if he should buzz.
Furthermore, we should assume this person has a good teacher.
In a day and age when it is difficult to get people to take music seriously and is working with someone to advance their skills, I HATE seeing someone try to undermine someone's quest and the faith in their instructor.
Who are you to do that?
Gottfried Reiche
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's just a troll. Nobody knows or cares about who he is, other than this little community on Trumpet Herald. He's obviously an expert...

Go away Mohan. Seriously.
Daniel Barenboim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much of anything is bad for you, even sex!

DB
danny45635
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably should get the book cause I'll be studying with him in the fall.
danny45635
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably should get the book cause I'll be studying with him in the fall.
Polyphonic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Buzzing Book by James Thompson, when speaking of great brass playing:
Quote:
"...while they play naturally, these players have arrived at their level of achievement through disciplined, determined, and intelligent work. Frequently, the mehod these players apply in their practice is spoken of as a school or system of playing. Such systems are often named after a person, or some physical/mental aspect of playing. Just as often, proponents of one school refuse to acknowledge the validity of the concepts and methods of other schools, believing them to be incorrect, and by inference, harmful. My observation has been that when students practice any one school correctly and thoroughly enough to attain a high degree of ability, they discover that they must necessarily incorporate concepts from all schools of playing..."

This is a quote from one of the best players/teachers ever. There have been immense successes from the studios of ALL those who ascribe to mouthpiece buzzing; whether it be from "Buzzing Basics", "Stamp", or any other method that recommends the practice. These methods are exemplified by the world-class players/teachers who incorporate those methods, such as Richard Stoelzel, Charley Geyer, Barbara Butler, and MANY others.

We would be wise not to criticize ANY of the approaches that one employs to achieve the ultimate goal of transcending our instrument and making beautiful music. Now, if you are putting the mouthpiece on your butt, and trying to play that way, well then: "That's a horse of a different color"!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polyphonic wrote:
Now, if you are putting the mouthpiece on your butt, and trying to play that way, well then: "That's a horse of a different color"!

Damn! So that's what I've been doing wrong.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a quote from James Thompson. He gave a great seminar in Oslo and that same year his book was published on BIM.

Let me start by saying that there are lot of different schools of playing. I find that everyone of them have validity.

The idea of warm up is an interesting concept.

Warm up - well, I just came off the plane and I can play - so, warm up in terms of the muscles is not the point. Warm up in terms of making the connections between the brain and the muscles is the point.

What do I do for a warm up, and what do I recommend for a warm up?

I do buzzing exercises. On the mouthpiece to start with.

Ole
JayV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The list of trumpet players and brass players who use buzzing as a tool to work on fundamentals and/or musicianship is long and full of some of the greatest players. I can also think of a few players at the highest level who advocate against it for various reasons.

Fundamentally, over-practicing any one particular technique can be harmful. Even Mr. Thompson's exercises can be harmful if one overdoes it. However, I find that the Buzzing Book exercises can be extraordinarily useful in getting students' sounds to open up. I recall one student in particular who came to me with a pinched, stuffy tone, no low range, no high range, and poor endurance. I worked with him on the Buzzing Book and his tone opened up dramatically.

Do not, under any circumstances, play these exercises too loudly. Try to reach down almost into "whisper tone" territory where it says "p" if you can. These exercises are all about proper form, not power or strength. You will gain power, range, endurance, breadth of tone color, accuracy, and even improve your articulation if you put 100% of your focus on practicing the proper form and technique. You'll make these gains because you'll be playing more efficiently since your technique and form won't be working at cross purposes and hampering you.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: James Thompson "The Buzzing Book" Reply with quote

rlk wrote:
John Mohan wrote:

Seriously.

I'm sorry you feel that way. That said, if you're medically/physically able to buzz your lips or a mouthpiece you are able to practice a trumpet (unless you are not able to hold the trumpet up in front of you - in a case such as that, of course, mouthpiece buzzing would be better than nothing).

I hope you continue to recover from whatever you are recovering from!

Best wishes,

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: