• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Adams A4 VS Harrelson Summit

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffsutton

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Adams A4 VS Harrelson Summit Reply with quote

After paying in full for a Summit trumpet and not receiving the horn for over a year despite being told on at least 8 different occasions that the horn was ready for final assembly , I initiated chargeback procedures through PayPal and ordered an Adams A4 . I received the Adams trumpet in 3 days at half the price of the Summit . Upon learning of the chargeback , Jason Harrelson sent me the Summit(minus the gold plating as originally ordered) without me agreeing to take delivery of the horn . I decided to keep both trumpets to compare them knowing that I could sell whichever one I didn't want to keep .
It turns out that the Adams A4 was the horn that I have been looking for . It has a much darker sound and the build quality is every bit as good as the Summit . The Bauerfeind valve block is the best and I have found that the horn is really versatile and can be used in all kinds of settings . I have sold the Summit and used the money that I saved to buy an Adams F2 flugelhorn as well which may be the finest instrument I have ever owned .
I ordered the Adams from Austin Custom Brass and the customer service has been amazing !
Many say that the wait times and communication issues as well as the expense of the Harrelson trumpets are worth it , but clearly this was not the case in my situation . There are lots of options out there these days for anyone looking for a top quality hand made custom trumpet .
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Harrelson makes some very good quality, innovative horns, but like you, I have found his responsiveness and customer service to be quite poor. It's great that you found a horn you did like.
Ze

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait - you initiated a chargeback, and you got a horn that isn't what you ordered (no plating) and you were forced to sell it on your own to recoup? I hope not, that's cruddy! Maybe if selling on your own & you somehow got more than you paid it'd fall into the 'alls well that ends well', but that seems unlikely? Taking any monetary hit on it, even slight, would really grind my gears.
Master Jabroni

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted..

Last edited by Master Jabroni on Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total
jeffsutton

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zee , I got a refund for the gold plating but I lost a little money in the sale . That was the price I paid for accepting the Summit so that I could compare the horns . I wanted to see if the difference in price of the horns was justified. The Summit was $6000 with gold plate and the Adams was $3000 in brushed lacquer which is stunning looking . The build quality of the Adams is just as good if not better with the Bauerfeind valves and the sound of the horn is what I was looking for . Even after the consultation with Jason during which we talked about everything that I wanted in the horn to give me a darker sound , he failed to deliver . The A4 is perfect for me and I bought the Adams F2 flugel horn as well which is just as good as the A4 . I got 2 awesome horns for the same price as the one Summit .
Dealing with Harrelson was an awful and stressful experience that dragged on for more than a year , but if it hadn't happened like that , I wouldn't have even heard of the Adams brand . In the end I wound up with 2 of the most beautiful horns that I'll ever own . I definitely will not do business Harrelson Trumpets again .
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:14 am    Post subject: horns Reply with quote

Considering all the horn makers there are these days, I can't see how one can stay in business for too long with that kind of customer service.
cyber_shake
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, it is awesome that your found the right horn(s) ... plus, very good that you could play them side-by-side to determine which was best for you. Now you'll never wonder 'what if...?' I also love my A4 and have an F1. They are 'the best' for me ... and after playing many horns over the years, finding axes that 'fit' you makes every moment of playing the greatest joy!

Schagerl LU5A
DaCarbo Unica
Adams A4 LT-S
Adams F1
Schagerl PT-200S
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes you feel like a nut,
Sometimes you don't!😈
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep hearing these stories about Harrelson and I just find it so disappointing. I really want to experiment with 5MM but it just doesn't seem worth the trouble. I understand the long wait for horns but misleading people about the lead time isn't cool. You've heard similar stories about Calicchio but they're upfront about it: "we build one horn at a time and youll get yours when it's finished..." That can be frustrating but at least you know what to expect. I imagine it's hard to be in that position and I hope for everyone's sake that Jason finds a way to manage the workload because we need people like him to continue pushing boundaries (of trumpet manufacturing, not customer relations, obviously.)

It's great that you eventually found what you were looking for and I'm thankful that you shared your experience in an honest and respectful way.
DickieG64
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My story with Jason goes like this:

I ordered the Summit in May about 8 years ago. I expected to wait 6-9 months. Then in June they emailed me and said they were running a production of that kind of horn and I would have in three weeks. I was really excited. After 6 weeks I called. They said they had some delays and I would have it in three weeks. After another 7 weeks I wrote a letter demanding my money back. And wouldn't you know it, I got an email saying it was on the way with an apology. I got the horn in a week..

The horn was a really good horn. I played it for a year and half and then sold it. I too think Jason is a great innovator and we need people like him who pushes the design envelope. But you have to have good business practices and not promise delivery twice and then the horn not come. I thought maybe things had changed, but maybe not.
Kanstul -Charlie Davis pic prototype never produced
Conn 80A Cornet

Taylor Flugle Horn
Kanstul-Charlie Davis Prototype Piccolo-never produced
1946 Conn 80A cornet
Ex-Trumpet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under-promise, over-deliver...a simple concept that apparently is difficult to execute, as so few companies--or people--do it.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ex-Trumpet wrote:
Under-promise, over-deliver...a simple concept that apparently is difficult to execute, as so few companies--or people--do it.

Just like Capt. Kirk hearing the confession from Scotty that he's always overstated his time estimates for anything - "Well cap'n thahts how I keep me reputation as a miracle worker!"

I've never met Jason, never played one of his horns - maybe they're magic. I sometimes find his demeanor on his Youtube videos to be offputting, particularly the petty squabbles he gets into in the comments. Maybe that's why Monette has disabled comments altogether on all their videos.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be quite a few ex-Harrelson player/owners out there....

Ex-Trumpet wrote:

No kidding.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP:

in order to compare these horns the way you have, wouldn't you need to specify which bell and leadpipe are on the Harrelson? Or has Jason discontinued those options?
jeffsutton

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Summit that I had was built with leadpipe #4 and the 10x bell based on a consultation with Jason where I explained the sound that I was looking for and the type of playing that I do. I primarily do small jazz combo stuff in very intimate settings so I was looking for a trumpet with a darker sound and a bell that spread the sound rather than focus it tightly . The Adams A4 does this much better than the Summit .
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the summit a heavy horn?
there really has to be a reason to have a trumpet custom built what with some very nice merchandise available off the shelf. it isn't like last century when you wished you had a mt. vernon bach. we have,, many,, stunning choices out there.
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff it was a pleasure working with you and I am very happy you are part of our "Adams Family"!

Looking forward to hearing you on your horns soon.

Cheers,

T
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
wee steve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Chuck that having a custom horn for some of us is a once in a lefetime special purchase, that service, the option of saying can you change those waterkeys, can you move the pinky ring a little, seeing your horn being built,that special touch, choosing the finish, you just can't get that off the shelf, for me it's nothing to do with weight. It's knowing that the horn was built for you and to your choices.
If I wasn't happy with my horn (which I am incredibly happy) I'd be looking at Van Laar, Adams, Taylor etc... not Bach or Yamaha. The care and attention to detail with smaller companies has to be there or it's their pride and reputation.

Previous horns:
Eclipse Celeste CLS MY
Eclipse LY (rear tuned)
Bach ML37
B & S Challenger ii
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wee steve wrote:
I think Chuck that having a custom horn for some of us is a once in a lefetime special purchase, that service, the option of saying can you change those waterkeys, can you move the pinky ring a little, seeing your horn being built,that special touch, choosing the finish, you just can't get that off the shelf, for me it's nothing to do with weight. It's knowing that the horn was built for you and to your choices.
If I wasn't happy with my horn (which I am incredibly happy) I'd be looking at Van Laar, Adams, Taylor etc... not Bach or Yamaha. The care and attention to detail with smaller companies has to be there or it's their pride and reputation.

FYI one thing you might not notice is that while Adams might still be a less-known name in the brass word Adams is a large company and one of the world leaders in tuned percussion (and have been for 45 years). I have no doubt in my mind that Adams will be a huge player in the brass world as well and that's why I devote a great portion of my shop's energy to making their brand (and their amazing workers who care for each and every client) a household name in our industry.

They changed my life for the better I hope we can help change yours.
-T
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
scipioap
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all you and Miel do, Trent!

By coincidence, this came to me in a daydream today...Miel's next innovation:
the world's first "Super Recording Committee"! The handcraft mutation to
trump them all! (sorry about the verbage
1963 Martin Committee #3
1962 Martin Committee Cornet #3
1961 Martin Custom Committee C
1941 Martin HC Committee #2
1945 Martin Committee #2
1942 Martin HC Committee Cornet
1941 Martin IBICO Indiana
2012 Kanstul 1525 SLB
1977 Olds CT Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: