• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A mild caution. Don't over do any isometric exercise.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: A mild caution. Don't over do any isometric exercise. Reply with quote

Lately you may have noticed that I've been using the "Double Pencil Exercise". Which is essentially the same as the regular pencil exercise. I've just taped an extra pencil end to end on the single pencil.

Good lord my results have been astonishing...

That said? Be very careful not to over due this exercise! It is after all a supplement to practice. In addition it really works your chops without smashing them against the hard metal of the mouthpiece and dense enamel of your front teeth.

In fact I personally want to develop a practice log for this and/or any kind of isometric, chop building exercise which we could do. Because if you or I throw caution to the wind and start doing excessive practice of this very challenging exercise. Fatigue and over-trained chops will soon set in. After this bewilderment will grip our minds.

And before we know it? A form of mental depression specific to trumpet players could set in. And this is why I recommend each trumpet player working on building up his embouchure WRITE DOWN EXACTLY HOW MUCH physical exercise he does. Both a daily/weekly/monthly exercise catalogue.

All serious athletes do this. And playing high notes on the trumpet truly is yet another form of athleticism.

And at the point I'm at now I'm not sure exactly how much additional work outs to prescribe. Perhaps no more than a 10% increase in time holding the pencil(s)/. And by the way, that "10%" could includejust a 10% increase of time hold thef pencil. You can also increase the load by extending the length of the pencil.

I would go one or the other.

Extend the length of time holding the pencil by 10% one week. Week after? Extend the length of the pencil itself by no more than 25%.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
dcjway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should the pencil be limited to 5 or 10 feet? lol
1935 NY Bach 26-59 silver plate
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just man up and use a piece of angle iron.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: