• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Staying in shape over 5 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:22 am    Post subject: Staying in shape over 5 days Reply with quote

shortly I will have to spend 5 (possibly 6) days in the hospital. I don't think bringing trumpet with me would be a good idea. Its kind of noisy and hospitals aren't build for security and I can see someone walking off with it. I also have no idea how good I will feel. How can I stay in reasonably playing shape, so I don't have to start all over again when I get out.
Al Innella
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jerry,sorry you have to go to the hospital.The last time I was away from the trumpet for a week,using the P.E.T.E helped me keep my embouchure muscles from weakening as much as they would have done.It,s not the same as using the horn,but it did help shorten my return to playing.

Have quick recovery,all my best Al.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given your posting since date clearly you're not a beginner. Besides that I'm sure there's no way they're going to let you play a trumpet in a hospital, I wouldn't worry about it. You're not going to forget how to play in a week. The break will probably do you good.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a professional with an engagement the day after you leave the hospital - you may have a problem.

If not, trust me, nothing really bad will happen.

My college teacher used to talk about "learning in repose".

OK - maybe I've "reposed" a little too much in the last few years - still you will not forget how to play in 7 days.

Take some good CD's and listen to your favorite brass groups. Take sheet music to practice fingering.

(If you find your high register has magically improved after the break, do a post in Mouthpieces and we will have a discussion about rim choice.)
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Combining what Al and Robert said, I don't know the extent of your medical issue, but if it's anything around or in your abdomen or neck, I wouldn't do anything more than a PETE or pencil exercises. Wouldn't do any blowing or straining your chest, abs, neck, etc...

If it's something like a foot injury or something where playing wouldn't potentially agitate your issue, I think the only way to do something would be using a practice mute. And that's only if you're lucky enough to have your own room and if they let you close the door. If you're sharing a room, you won't want to bother your roommate with extra noise.

Otherwise, just take a break. You won't actually be starting from the beginning. With only a week off it should only take a day or two to get back in the saddle with playing.
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:

Take some good CD's and listen to your favorite brass groups. Take sheet music to practice fingering.

Ooo yeah, forgot about this. Definitely do this. Perfect opportunity. If you have a tablet and can watch some Youtube of your favorite trumpeters that works too.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
Given your posting since date clearly you're not a beginner. Besides that I'm sure there's no way they're going to let you play a trumpet in a hospital, I wouldn't worry about it. You're not going to forget how to play in a week. The break will probably do you good.

THIS.

Some will disagree, and for some people taking five or six days off might be detrimental; I know Doc has said he needs DAILY practice, but how many of us are anywhere close to his level? Personally, that rest time would not hurt me one bit. I played two gigs last weekend after a week of not much playing, the rest helped.

Brad
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done it, and seen it done, many times. Don't sweat it. "Enjoy" the break.

Sorry to hear of your hospital stay. Hope it's nothing that can't be resolved. Good time to do some quality listening, though.

(But if you're exceptionally technique obsessed, PETE, pencil exercise, fingering (and tonguing) existing music, are all non-intrusive possibilities. Another thing not mentioned, is that there are hand exercisers for therapy that you can use.)

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geese, like others have said, take the break and enjoy it.

I've been in a cardiac unit since last Tuesday, and I know I will be able to play once I am released... the rather important issue is your health! Deal with that, and the playing will be fine!

Cheers

Andy
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming back from a break can be a great opportunity for learning. I wouldn't think it'd be more than a couple weeks until you're back to 100%.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
jimjehu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: staying in shape Reply with quote

I was hospitalized a few years ago. Begged and pleaded to practise. Doctors and nurses agreed to a trial. Yamaha silent brass passed the test. Staff from all over the hospital came in to see this mad man and trumpet.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:

I've been in a cardiac unit since last Tuesday, and I know I will be able to play once I am released... the rather important issue is your health! Deal with that, and the playing will be fine!

Cheers

Andy

Hope you're well, Andy.

And as he and others have said - take a break. Trumpet is just trumpet. Unless your entire livelihood hinges on a gig in 6 days, take a break. Five days is no big deal, unless you make it one. You won't be "starting all over." Good grief.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
Andy Del wrote:

Cheers

Andy

Hope you're well, Andy.

And as he and others have said - take a break. Trumpet is just trumpet. Unless your entire livelihood hinges on a gig in 6 days, take a break. Five days is no big deal, unless you make it one. You won't be "starting all over." Good grief.

Yes getting well top priority so good luck with that!
Concerning breaks I have a habit of taking a break, say 10-14 days every year, right after "rehearsal&gig season" ends. Of course depending on what happens after that, special gigs or so; but for me this is kinda relaxing, a vacation from this eternal playing and practising every day year in year out. Nerd warning!! Chops settles and maybe new ideas might have a fresh start. Gigs are one thing but practise practise...
I think even top athletes need a break after a hard season. Not that I compare myself but...
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Job one is to recover and get well. A week or so away from the trumpet under the circumstances, is nothing to worry about. Hell, I haven't played in 5 days just because I'm feeling lazy. Often, a break in playing does the chops good to recover a bit.

Get well soon!

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
Andy Del wrote:

Cheers

Andy

Hope you're well, Andy.

heh heh... I'm good, if somewhat bored off my scone. A week in hospital is not fun if all you can do for fun is fall asleep in a MRI test. Tomorrow is the installation of a defibrillator and then I get to go home, once all is tested and OK. Should be the day after...

Then I can start making noises! 😜

Cheers

Andy
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three weeks ago today, I had a kidney removed and spent 6 days in the hospital.
I am not a working pro and never once thought of bringing a horn in to practice for a number of reasons. Mainly. there could be someone struggling for life and shouldn't be subject to some musician practicing. A week off is not going to really harm you.
When I got home I buzzed the mouthpiece and did some very quiet Stamp and Chicowicz studies. In a couple of days I was pretty much back to normal but not healed enough to participate in the Evanston (Il) Symphony Orchestra's performance of Mahler's second symphony last Sunday as one of the off-stage trumpets.
Rest in the hospital. Think of music and heal.
Good luck and I hope everything goes well.
R. Tomasek
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take time off all the time because of work and family commitments. I'm not a pro, but i get paid all the time to play. I have found that since adjusting to the Bill Adam approach to playing that time off really isn't a big deal. I always go back to the basics which for me starts with leadpipe buzzing.
If i am doing it correctly the chops respond. so i spend a little extra time getting the pipe to buzz and it's off to the races.
I remember a story about Don "Jake" Jacoby, having not played for years but was asked to play at a party or reunion and was blowing DHC's and playing beautifully. I thought how is that possible. Now i know, when you learn how to do something correctly it isn't that hard to go back. I used to play golf 7 days a week, play the course or practice, literally, 7 days a week. I would routinely shoot 75 or better, I was single, lol.
I play now about 2 or 3 times a year with my kids, i can still break 90 easily and have broken 80 a few times as well in the past few years. I learned how to hit a ball properly and after a couple of buckets of balls i can hit the ball almost as well. when i make the putts i shoot good scores.
Taking time off is a good thing, especially if you know how, what and when to practice. borrowed that from John M, and mr gordon.
good luck

regards,

tom
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just take the time off and be happy to have a good excuse.

When you come back, spend more time playing long tones quietly than normal, you'll be fine. There's a great video of Bob Sullivan giving a class, he talks about coming back front breaks. Look that up and watch it during your break. Watch some other videos while you're sitting in your hospital bed, that'll probably do you more good than what you would on the trumpet normally anyway.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
Then I can start making noises! 😜

You mean with your trumpet, right?

Take care and recover quickly and well! - Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: