• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What would be a good inexpensive set up to record myself

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trolarg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: What would be a good inexpensive set up to record myself Reply with quote

I'm looking for a set up that can record me playing trumpet without it clipping.
Also if I could record myself playing piano and bass and loop that with some software and or hardware. So I guess I'm kinda asking for a microphone that can record trumpet and maybe some hardware so I could loop stuff that I record
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I understand your needs, but I have both Zoom H2 and Hn4 recorders and they're terrific and simple.
trolarg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
Not sure I understand your needs, but I have both Zoom H2 and Hn4 recorders and they're terrific and simple.

How louis records himself here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WBgy5ancjw
for the microphone I mean and so the way I mean loop stuff is like what if I want to play something with myself so I can record the sound from my bass and my piano and just jam with that
aTrumpetdude

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The free open source program Audacity works for this. You might need to get a usb audio interface depending on your computer. I have a $100 apex ribbon mic that works pretty good for trumpet for the money, there are a lot of differing opinions on best budget mics or course. Shure sm 57 is another popular choice for around $100.
1969 Conn 8b Artist
1980 238 CL
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm1qCev_sfof-Bfj5MAMLrQ
trolarg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aTrumpetdude wrote:
The free open source program Audacity works for this. You might need to get a usb audio interface depending on your computer. I have a $100 apex ribbon mic that works pretty good for trumpet for the money, there are a lot of differing opinions on best budget mics or course. Shure sm 57 is another popular choice for around $100.

I have like software that I can record myself and edit it, its called reaper and I'm pretty fluent with stuff like that since I also produce EDM but I want something more like loop pedals or whatever that I can record maybe me playing like the form Autumn leaves with piano and bass and just have it loop.
Also what mic would you recommend ?
aTrumpetdude

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an Apex 210 ribbon mic and I like it, it sounds better for trumpet than the budget condenser mic I had. I have also had good results recording guitar with it.
1969 Conn 8b Artist
1980 238 CL
trolarg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aTrumpetdude wrote:
I use an Apex 210 ribbon mic and I like it, it sounds better for trumpet than the budget condenser mic I had. I have also had good results recording guitar with it.

could you show me a recording you've done with it??
aTrumpetdude

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can click on my youtube channel where I demo a bunch of vintage horns, everything on there I recorded with that mic. I'm not saying it would compete with a high dollar top shelf mic, but since you said inexpensive I think it is good bang for the buck.
1969 Conn 8b Artist
1980 238 CL
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go again - there are plenty of threads, both here and the TM forum, that talk about this. There are a lot of different ways a person can get there from here, so it's going to depend on:

1.) your budget
2.) how easy or complex you want it
3.) how portable you need it to be

You could do everything from getting a simple dynamic mic like a Shure SM57/58 or a cheaper clone, getting an XLR/USB converter, and then recording into some Digital Audio Workstation such Cubase or something along those lines (or if you have a Mac, Garage Band) or you could get a field recorder that has variable gain settings....so many options.

Google-fu is your friend.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trolarg wrote:
Craig Swartz wrote:

How louis records himself here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WBgy5ancjw
for the microphone I mean and so the way I mean loop stuff is like what if I want to play something with myself so I can record the sound from my bass and my piano and just jam with that

There's some VERY expensive and complex recording equipment being used there - undoubtedly they are using high end preamps and interfaces, and recording into something like ProTools or Digital Performer.

Those Royer ribbon mics by themselves (x3 that I could see) are thousands of dollars.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
trolarg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
Here we go again - there are plenty of threads, both here and the TM forum, that talk about this. There are a lot of different ways a person can get there from here, so it's going to depend on:

1.) your budget

You could do everything from getting a simple dynamic mic like a Shure SM57/58 or a cheaper clone, getting an XLR/USB converter, and then recording into some Digital Audio Workstation such Cubase or something along those lines (or if you have a Mac, Garage Band) or you could get a field recorder that has variable gain settings....so many options.

I could spend maybe 300 ish and id like it to be just like not super complex, just enough so I could maybe just hit record and loop what id want say it be 8 bars or 32 bars and I mean why is portability a thing? id just like it to be home
trolarg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trolarg wrote:
trickg wrote:

1.) your budget

I could spend maybe 300 ish and id like it to be just like not super complex, just enough so I could maybe just hit record and loop what id want say it be 8 bars or 32 bars and I mean why is portability a thing? id just like it to be home

I don't need a recording program what I need is hardware for it yknowww
jazzjezz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Boss RC-30 for simple recording and playback. It is a loop station too but I don't use it for that at the moment, but has the functionality.
Has manual recording level - so you can avoid the clipping.
I plug a mic in, and have the output going to a little Mackie monitor.

Good for immediate play back of phrases and playing duets with myself.

Read the specs for yourself, but I think that it will cope with what you want.
trolarg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait I just found the perfect thing, here is basically what id like to do, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j54ttgqzlk
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're talking about different things - one is a live application, and the other is a recording application.

Are you trying to do this on a computer? If that's the goal, get a USB audio interface, (There are many to choose from M-Audio, Focusrite, Presonus, etc) a dynamic microphone, a budget set of studio monitors or studio monitor headphones, and call it a day. Then it's a matter of what software you are looking to use.
- ACB Doubler

spyke
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend a Zoom handy recorder. I like the H6 but used an H4n, H4, and H2 in the past before it.

They are portable, have (sometimes interchangeable) built-in mics, microphone preamps (so you can plug in your mic of choice if you get one in the future), and can work as audio interfaces for computer-based recording as well.
HarryRichardson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had good luck with a Zoom H2n. I've used it several times making recordings of students for ITG with success. It's the best thing I had, and it worked each time. I borrowed a Zoom Camcorder for the NTC recordings which did well too. They required a video. I'm not up with technology though. I tend to find something that works and stick with it until it no longer meets my needs.
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a mic made by a company called Blue, called a Yeti. It's a USB mic and probably as plug-and-play as they get. That and Audacity would be my go-to.

I'm not of the finest tastes, though. Pass the Fritos.
strangedejavu506

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a cheap 2 input focusrite interface right into my Mac even on a cheap mic it does a great job using garage band. But these days you can also get the presonus daw for free which opens up even more possibilities for tweaking recordings.

Another thing I have done is gone straight from my silent brass preamp into my interface. This provides a really nice warm tone that I feel like is pretty accurate without tweaking.

These days most 100-150 dollar interfaces will do you right. Most even come with built in preamps that work great! Check out presonus or focus rite any of their interfaces will do great for what you want!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: