• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Is it me, my horn, my mouthpiece...?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Juan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leading into my second year of college I ran into some playing problems. My sound turned stuffy, my high range gone, and I really felt like I couldn't get any air through the horn. My studio friends wondered what the hell happened to my playing (I wasn't amazing, but was climbing the studio ranks). I had terrible ensemble auditions to open the school year and was very upset with what was going on. I thought I was broken...

I'm practicing one day and ask an older student for some help, he takes my horn and is about to blow a few notes, looks down the center of the mouthpiece into the lead pipe and realizes something is wrong. He takes off the mouthpiece to reveal that there was less than a pencil point of air able to get through a completely clogged and congested shank.

You would not believe the miracles that happened to my playing after I cleaned it out. And neither could my friends. I was a completely different (and better) player instantaneously. I likened it to training a whole summer with the weight of a clogged mouthpiece.

Anyways, the point is, CLEAN your mouthpiece often and avoid putting yourself through unnecessary troubles lol.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Juan wrote:
Leading into my second year of college I ran into some playing problems. My sound turned stuffy, my high range gone, and I really felt like I couldn't get any air through the horn. My studio friends wondered what the hell happened to my playing (I wasn't amazing, but was climbing the studio ranks). I had terrible ensemble auditions to open the school year and was very upset with what was going on. I thought I was broken...

I'm practicing one day and ask an older student for some help, he takes my horn and is about to blow a few notes, looks down the center of the mouthpiece into the lead pipe and realizes something is wrong. He takes off the mouthpiece to reveal that there was less than a pencil point of air able to get through a completely clogged and congested shank.

You would not believe the miracles that happened to my playing after I cleaned it out. And neither could my friends. I was a completely different (and better) player instantaneously. I likened it to training a whole summer with the weight of a clogged mouthpiece.

Anyways, the point is, CLEAN your mouthpiece often and avoid putting yourself through unnecessary troubles lol.

That is possibly the most disgusting thing I've heard in a while. How did you not notice this?!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a chance to play a Wild Thing at one of the Chicago Trumpet Hangs several years ago. It played very dark, with a sound I would describe as almost sounding tubby. Not brilliant. Note that I normally play a Burbank Benge 6X (a large bore trumpet with a fairly tight bell), which is a pretty bright horn.

And also, what we hear behind the horn when playing is not what the audience hears out front. I have often had the situation when A/B testing different mouthpieces and even different horns, where the horn I think sounds brighter sounds darker to critical listeners out front.

If you play test some different horns, be sure to have a critical listener or listeners out front - not necessarily another trumpet player either, but rather, a "neutral party" who knows music well.

Cheers,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: