• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Looking for Feedback: Playing Lead "Swingin' For The Fe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MilesBelvin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:36 am    Post subject: Looking for Feedback: Playing Lead "Swingin' For The Fe Reply with quote

I've been working on playing lead a lot lately and recorded this snippet for my practice vlog. Any and all feed back is greatly appreciated!

Link

Thanks!
Flugel: Yahmaha - YFH 731
Curry 3FL - Y
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your playing on this video. There are a lot of notes in the chart you chose so it is not easy to get a window into your style or musical interpretation. When the more sustained sections are played the lead trumpet can really sing and be melodic.

Making pretty with a singing sound at the higher range of the trumpet is not easy. There are so many things going on inside the breathing system and chops going against you. So lead players need to mentally create that soaring exciting singing thing to "lead" the band.

Great job!

Gordon Stump
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet.

I can't play lead at all, so I'm impressed with anybody who can.

Thanks for posting.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
MilesBelvin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gstump wrote:
I like your playing on this video. There are a lot of notes in the chart you chose so it is not easy to get a window into your style or musical interpretation. When the more sustained sections are played the lead trumpet can really sing and be melodic.

Making pretty with a singing sound at the higher range of the trumpet is not easy. There are so many things going on inside the breathing system and chops going against you. So lead players need to mentally create that soaring exciting singing thing to "lead" the band.

Great job!

Gordon Stump

Thanks! I'll definitely take that into consideration with the next piece I work up for lead practice(maybe more "Basie" and less "Be-Bop" lol).
Curry 3FL - Y
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job of following the tracks.

3 things:

1. Whenever you go for a higher note, you start lifting / leaning the upper part of your body back. That actually closes off your air & creates tension that hold the sound back. Watch & listen closely - you'll see & hear it.

2. As I opened with, nice job of "following" the tracks. You have obviously listened to this tune a bunch of times. Try it with "leading" the tracks. You're playing the Lead Trumpet book...so Lead the band, even tho it's a recording.

3. Experiment with your own interpretation of shaping & phrasing. Small & subtle things can make a big difference in performance, both good and bad. Only thru experimentation will you find out which is what.

Keep at it!

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
MilesBelvin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
Nice job of following the tracks.

3 things:

1. Whenever you go for a higher note, you start lifting / leaning the upper part of your body back. That actually closes off your air & creates tension that hold the sound back. Watch & listen closely - you'll see & hear it.

2. As I opened with, nice job of "following" the tracks. You have obviously listened to this tune a bunch of times. Try it with "leading" the tracks. You're playing the Lead Trumpet book...so Lead the band, even tho it's a recording.

3. Experiment with your own interpretation of shaping & phrasing. Small & subtle things can make a big difference in performance, both good and bad. Only thru experimentation will you find out which is what.

Keep at it!

Thanks for the advice and encouragement! I just added all of these to my list of things to improve on over the next few months.

Any specific advice on relaxing/easing tension when playing in general?
Curry 3FL - Y
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: