• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Out of breath after practicing Clarke

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
casivake718

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Out of breath after practicing Clarke Reply with quote

Yesterday, I did the Clarke exercies 1- 6 and I did it at 60 bpm, repeating 8 times. I took a breath not counting the first one a total of 3 times. I'm impressed since I have asthma and just started doing the clarke studies in this form on Monday. Now today when I woke up, I felt out of breath. When I went to practice, I felt like my lungs were weak when playing. Is this a sign that my lungs are getting stronger? (I still feel out of breath writing this.)
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Out of breath after practicing Clarke Reply with quote

casivake718 wrote:
Is this a sign that my lungs are getting stronger? (I still feel out of breath writing this.)

Clearly you should ask a doctor. I wouldn't expect people here to know what the implications are regarding asthma, unless they have the condition themselves. Asthmatics might not respond the same as people without the condition and I would assume not all asthmatics respond the same way to stress on their respiratory system.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Dieter Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asthma is not so much about being able to breath in, but to breath out as you probably know.

Adding resistance to your breathing out actually opens up the alveoli.

So the resistance of the mouthpiece/trumpet can actually help you to breath better.

On the other hand, you may overtaxed your lungs a little, but with slow, but steady increase in practicing you should get stronger over time.
B&S Challenger II 3137 rl
Buescher 400 - 225 (WWII)
Benge 90C
Eastman 540 D/Eb
ACB Fluegelhorn
Selmer Picc
ACB mouthpieces for most of my playing

Last edited by Dieter Z on Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked a friend - they say they have problems inhaling and exhaling when they have an attack.

As I understand it asthma can be serious - you should consult a doctor.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Out of breath after practicing Clarke Reply with quote

casivake718 wrote:
Yesterday, I did the Clarke exercies 1- 6 and I did it at 60 bpm, repeating 8 times. I took a breath not counting the first one a total of 3 times. I'm impressed since I have asthma and just started doing the clarke studies in this form on Monday. Now today when I woke up, I felt out of breath. When I went to practice, I felt like my lungs were weak when playing. Is this a sign that my lungs are getting stronger? (I still feel out of breath writing this.)

The feeling that you are out-of-breath is a very non-specific symptom, which can mean almost anything. In an of itself, feeling out-of-breath after practicing is not a sign that your lungs are getting stronger.

But building on the other comments in this thread, I agree that playing the trumpet, like other forms of aerobic activities, can increase the efficiency of your lungs.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
tomba51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Out of breath after practicing Clarke Reply with quote

casivake718 wrote:

If you did the Clarke exercises YESTERDAY, and you woke up out of breath TODAY, there is something going on besides the Clarke exercises taxing your lungs. There is no reason that doing an exercise YESTERDAY should make you out of breath TODAY. I'd get that checked out if I were you.
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, see your doctor.

I believe Clarke was out of breath after playing Clarke, originally.

But SOB (short of breath) the next morning, there's sompin' going on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: