• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

You guys who use gig bags:

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: You guys who use gig bags: Reply with quote

I know, gig bags have been discussed to death here, but this is for you guys who use them on a regular basis.

Be honest (😉), have you had horn damage? Occasionally? Frequently? Never?
I know it has a lot to do with whether or not your horn in the bag is ever out of your sight, the type of gigs you do, how you travel, etc.

What prompts me to ask are the Cronkhite bags that Steve of Torpedo Bags now makes and sells. I've never used a bag because of the higher chance of horn damage, but these Cronkhite bags do look great, even though I REALIZE they're not the same thing as a hard shell case.

So, you guys who regularly use and have used them (and specifically people who do regular gigs, not just those who use a bag for horn storage at home), what say you? Horn dent/damage disasters? No real problems?

Brad
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May not be exactly the input you're looking for, but I've always been fairly careful with my horns. I'm not rough with them, so I had considered using gig bags in the past. But a friend of mine used a gig bag and had it in the back seat of his car when he was hit by another car (through no fault of his own). That was enough to damage his horns. Since then I haven't really been tempted to buy a gig bag. It's not always about how well you treat your horns, but what may happen outside your control. Maybe that's paranoid to think that way (that you could get into an accident at any moment), but that's how I see it. Yes, gig bags look cool, and are light and functional, and no, a hard case isn't perfect, and your horn could still get damaged, but it's a cheap way to offer a bit more protection.

Honestly, I think the leather Torpedo bags have a great combination of awesome protection, but still look good and have a pleasing profile.
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: You guys who use gig bags: Reply with quote

Have been using gig bags since the 1970's and have NEVER had so much as a ding on any of my horns!!! Used the old Reunion Blues then switched to Cronkhite Bags...even the Gard singles are nice. That being said I am very careful with my equipment.

Butch
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "TKO" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: You guys who use gig bags: Reply with quote

maynard-46 wrote:
Have been using gig bags since the 1970's and have NEVER had so much as a ding on any of my horns!!! Used the old Reunion Blues then switched to Cronkhite Bags...even the Gard singles are nice. That being said I am very careful with my equipment.

Butch

Interesting, and the horns in your signature are not exactly beaters by a long shot!

Brad
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using the Cronkite triple for quite a few years. Before that I used Protec. I haven't had any damage other than the bells scratching each other in the triple.

But I am pretty careful. I never leave the horns in the car except while traveling to and from a gig. If the case is on stage with me it goes under the chair. etc...
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've worked all over the world since I bought my first Reunion Blues leather single bag back in 1977 and never had any horn damage while the horn was in the bag. I even did three years of touring with Circus Bands in the late 1980's using that bag the whole time. By the time I did my next tour though (the European Tour of the musical Grease in 2003-2004) I had bought and kept my horn in a nice, strong Walt Johnson single case. In addition to the single bag, whenever I've been on shows that require more than a Bb trumpet (which has been most of the time), I've used a Reunion Blues Leather Triple Bag, again, with no issues.

For most situations, if you're reasonably careful, I think a good (Cronkhite) bag would be safe.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody so far!

Brad

Last edited by Brad361 on Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Kanstul leather double bag, made my Protec. The original divider sucked and the flugel got scratched by the bottom caps of the Bb. I found an outfit that sold me a much-improved divider that turned it into a triple bag. Never had a problem in all the years I've used it. I do agree that some care is required. If you're not going to exercises a fair amount of care then you probably need to go with a hard case.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use gig bags frequently and have for long time. I don't have a habit of leaving them unattended out of my view/control. (Gard triple, Reunion Blues triple and single, a new Bach single and Pro Tec double and triples)

The one and only time since 1980 that I've had damage was when I left a C trumpet in a Gard triple bag backstage. During the gig someone moved or bumped the table the bag was on and it fell to the floor - bent the bell.

I actually had more damage done in hard shell cases. Cases that were handled by others: unloading a truck, or bus or plane. The case was obviously dropped or tossed and the trumpet inside shifted against the case - bent bell flair, dents on crooks, etc.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
kshtrumpet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used my reunion blues (designed by conkhite, now made by torpedo bags) for years and no problems. I don't throw it around, and my horns are insured. I love the simplicity of those bags, and plenty of padding for what it is. Carry any two horns and some junk and all the music you want. I have the Trent austin reissue with the crocodile print.

If I only carried one trumpet and mutes, I would use a torpedo bag every single time. Those cases are the best.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had a problem with a gig bag but that's only when the horn is in my posession or control 100% of the time. When someone else might handle the horn, I use a Protec of the appropriate size.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a ProTec triple bag for 5 or 6 yeas now, and haven't had any damage with it. Of course, I'm still very careful with it, but it seems very safe so far.
grizzle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my two cents.

I used a bag forever out of college, no problems. But no one touches my stuff. Then I started making cases and switched mostly to my own stuff. And yes, over the years, I heard horror stories from lots and lots of people who had damage from horns in bags, as well as cases. Basically, you don't want an item in motion to suddenly stop being in motion. A case protects from impact or crushing weight, but I think bags/cases are about equal when it comes to sudden stops -- except the legacy Coyote. I think what we do with those and the multi-layer, multi-density foam is special.

A bag is great if you are careful. They are very light, and that means something if you're also carrying mic cords, stand lights, etc. and a change of clothes all day long.

I think the main attraction with Glenn's stuff is the weight and the durability. Wee have 2000 patterns to sort through, and if you're a tuba player or guitar player, it's almost understood that you'll have a bag. And with Glenn's, they're made very well. His shoulder strap webbing is INSANE. If you ever heft one, you'll know what I'm talking about. 1" HD foam, which some other companies use -- all of them should. We even had to upgrade to T138 thread! I thought we used tough enough stuff, but noooo, Glenn had us beat! He also really dialed in his leather supplier, so we're going to stick with what he established.

There are a few little things I want to improve: I think his SR clips on his trombone bags weren't a very high quality. His delrin snap hooks are durable, but no swivel, so I'm going to switch those to our Outlaw Delrin swivel snaps once I get Glenn's approval. But overall, what impressed me about Glenn were these little design things he did, like covering up a zipper on a tuba bag where it hits the ground. He showed me 30 or 40 of these things no one would notice, and they all screamed, "I'm a musician making things for musicians, and I care about your axe." It's probably the main reason why he entertained my offer to continue making his stuff. I think he and I approach these as musicians helping musicians.

Hint: Get yours in leather. Unlike a case, it's not just cosmetic. There's a bunch more protection with leather compared to Cordura. Glenn made sure I understood this.
612-849-3574
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one case of gigbagitis, years and years ago. At the time I had a Reunion Blues all-leather double case, and I was on an Army Band trip with the Old Guard Fife & Drum Corp. I didn't use my trumpet to perform, but I'd brought it with me on that trip because I was working on getting some chops back after having only played one-valve bugle for a while.

As I got to my hotel room at the end of the hall, I swung the bag off of my shoulder in a move I'd done dozens of times - kind of flip it off the shoulder, but catch the strap in my hand on the way down.

I missed. I missed and the whole bag knocked into the heating/cooling register at the end of the hall. The end result was that my second valve was hanging, and I needed to take it in for repair - one of the very few times I've ever needed to actually repair a trumpet.

One other time though, my horn was in an all-leather Reunion Blues triple bag in the hatchback of my Honda Civic when a guy pulled out in front of me at a T-junction, and I hit him going almost 50 mph. I had to straighten the shaft of my Manhasset music stand that was back there with it, but my trumpet came through unscathed.

These days I prefer semi-hard gig cases like ProTec - I liked the added protection of the rigid sides provided by the plywood inserts. I also have at Torpedo bag issued to me by the National Guard Band. That thing is a tank - probably more durable than any other hard case.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a pro freelancer and, for 90% of my work, I use an Altieri backpack trumpet/flugel bag. It is an absolutely wonderful bag. I can put all I need for most gigs in it - even a wire stand, iPad, mutes, etc. Yes, I've gotten some dings and the like, but nothing serious. It's one of the reasons I don't play very expensive horns.. That, and there are plenty of gigs where I leave my trumpet and/or flugel just sitting out on the K&M in-the-bell stands. Sometimes I need to leave my trumpet in my car.

When I was younger I used to have one of the standard brown Reunion Blues gig bags.. Yeah, my horns got dinged up..but never anything that made them unplayable. All the best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
jimspeedjae
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used a leather renunion triple bag for a long time, inlcuding on 5 years of cruise ship gig. Trumpet, flugel, all my mutes and moutpiece bag..

That was of course in the day when I could carry on a bag that size. Bought in the early 90s it's still in really in great condition.

As for damage - I needed to get home once and cruise lines being cruise lines moving people around, set me down in the Bahamas I think it was (let's be honest, I was on a cruise ship gig 20 year ago - things are hazy. Actually, they were then). Had to get a small plane back to the States and they made me check the bag at the gate. For some reason I had my picc with me on that trip (in a picc bag it still fits in the bag with all the other stuff). Anyway, had a crease in the bell by the time we got to Miami. Everything else was OK.

I stopped using it so regularly not because of protection, but because I got a bit of neck stiffness from lugging around a heavy bag on my shoulder all the time. So got something with wheels. in my case a Mains Custom, where the wheels are optional and you can strap on your back if you must (I haven't).

Is it perfect? No. Still miss the convenience of the bag and now I don't do so much might start using it again.
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used an original San Fran Reunion Blues triple with Bb and flug for many hundreds of gigs over the last 20-30 years, and only had one incident. The buckle on the end of the shoulder strap started to wear out. While removing the case from my car trunk, the strap unbuckled and the case fell from trunk level to the pavement. A water key got banged off. I then replaced the buckles with circular key chain rings. No problems since. Love the case.
grizzle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimspeedjae wrote:

I stopped using it so regularly not because of protection, but because I got a bit of neck stiffness from lugging around a heavy bag on my shoulder all the time. So got something with wheels. in my case a Mains Custom, where the wheels are optional and you can strap on your back if you must (I haven't).

I LOVE cruise ship stories, btw. It's like being on tour, but with free food, less bus, and more sun.

Our Torpedo Bag rubberized straps are great for keeping shoulders low:

https://torpedobags.com/product/straps/

I have a quote for getting that feature built into the super stiff webbing Glenn requires. Might be a while, but that will be the best of both worlds.
612-849-3574
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding my all-leather Reunion Blues triple bag, I remember that when I got that, I was just tickled pink because to me it represented the pinnacle of what a gig bag could be, except for maybe the larger triple designed specifically for use with a flugel.

In any case, I used that bag A LOT, but I was always worried about when I used it with a flugel, because I thought it was slightly too small for that purpose.

When I bought my Kanstul CCF 925 Flugel from PiCK Music in York, PA, I brokered a deal and got them to sell me a ProTec trumpet/flugel combo case - the big one, not the smaller Mike Vax model. Once I had that case, it became my primary case, and my preference for it was enough, that after having that RB case sit and collect dust for years, I decided to sell it off to put toward an upgrade kit of drums.

I don't regret selling it - I've always felt the ProTec case is a better gigging case for me, and I'm pretty sure that if I still had it, it would still be collecting dust on a shelf - it's better that someone else is getting some good use out of it.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
gunnarerikc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Pro Tech Slimline Pro Pac. It's the best of both worlds. Light, small, and hard sided.
Protects the horn great. Highly recommend.
"If I could Play like Wynton Marsalis I would without a doubt, 100% play like Wynton Marsalis" -Me
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: