• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

You guys who use gig bags:

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GarryOwen2008

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a compromise between a hard case and a gig bag and bought an Outlaw Torpedo Bag. I cannot say enough great things about them. Very light, comfortable to carry, and easily capable of dealing with accidents (getting knocked off a table, etc). Steve, you make a great bag!
1954 LA Olds Ambassador
Carol Brass "Blackhawk" Flugelhorn
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I also use Torpedos, great cases. Was just considering a Cronkhite bag for gigs where I can always keep the horn nearby/in my possession. Plus, being honest, I like new horn-toys.😎

Edit: I did spring for a Cronkhite single from Steve, hopefully it will work out well.

Brad

Last edited by Brad361 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used a homemade gig bag, Reunion Blues and Gard bag for several decades. Never a problem.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used all kinds of gig bags for over 50 years through all kinds of situations. I've used them during my Air Force band years, and later on the road with all sorts of bands, and have carried them on airlines and on and on. I've never had a single issue. No dents, dings. Nothing. I currently use Guard, Pro Tec and Torpedo. I hate hard cases. I like to toss the horn onto my should and go. If I need to carry a bunch of extra mutes and other accessories I pack an additional bag for those things. I'm currently playing a 74 year old NY Bach. It lives in a gig bag.

Last edited by Larry Smithee on Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use all gig bags, individual ones ever since some cretin stole an old Schilke B3 and a flugel in the same case. I used tuning bell Bb and C horns for 30 years and never a problem, started with Reunion Blues but the zippers always crapped out. Switched to the Gard leather singles about 10 years ago and they are terrific, IMO. My P5-4 is in a RB cornet gig bag, at least until the zipper goes. Anyway, never a problem. Most people would think tuning bell horns in gig bags would be a disaster waiting to happen, but so far, so good.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wrap my horns in a towel and throw 'em in a pillow case. My colleagues are always pointing out the dents and dings, but I can't see what the big deal is...
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine is in a paper bag
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
I just wrap my horns in a towel and throw 'em in a pillow case. My colleagues are always pointing out the dents and dings, but I can't see what the big deal is...

F... F#... close enough... 440... 448... 435... it's all the same..
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:
mine is in a paper bag

Tried paper...rips too much in the rain. When the grocery store clerk asks paper or plastic, I always say plastic, 'cause I figure it's an upgrade for my piccolo.
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Reunion Blues San Francisco super triple and a Dolly Bags single regularly and have never had a horn damaged.

It's entirely a matter of the owner and its care and attention to the bag though. You could definitely damage your horns, just like you could damage your kids in a stroller, or stub your toe in sandals. Just don't do that.
nkolisnyk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trombahonker wrote:
I use a Reunion Blues San Francisco super triple and a Dolly Bags single regularly and have never had a horn damaged.

It's entirely a matter of the owner and its care and attention to the bag though. You could definitely damage your horns, just like you could damage your kids in a stroller, or stub your toe in sandals. Just don't do that.

Based on my life experience of irony and good ol' Murphy's Law, I recommend being very paranoid this week. Now that you've posted this, there's a very good chance that THIS is the day that you slip and drop your gig bag!

Also be aware of cyclists on the sidewalk, meteors, and dogs who love the taste and smell of leather gig bags. But of course, I do not wish this on anyone. Good luck!

www.rupertslandbrass.ca
www.nafrodance.com
www.cnhussi.com
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on folks. It's not like you're hauling around a $300,000 dollar cello. Trumpets are cheap and if damaged are highly repairable. The only time I ever damaged a trumpet was in a marching band practice 57 years ago. At the time I thought it was the end of the world as I knew it. It actually cost $15 bucks to repair. Lesson learned. Keep away from marching bands.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry Smithee wrote:
Come on folks. It's not like you're hauling around a $300,000 dollar cello. Trumpets are cheap and if damaged are highly repairable. The only time I ever damaged a trumpet was in a marching band practice 57 years ago. At the time I thought it was the end of the world as I knew it. It actually cost $15 bucks to repair. Lesson learned. Keep away from marching bands.

True, but different people have different perspectives on their horns. Some guys are "hey, whatever, as long as it plays", others are inclined to be bothered by a scratch, many are somewhere in between those extremes.

I think, generally, guys who play full time for a living tend to think of their horns more as tools, which they probably are.

Brad
grizzle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:
mine is in a paper bag

Settle down now...
612-849-3574
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry Smithee wrote:

Larry, it's not 1960 anymore. If someone's carrying a leather triple gig bag, they could be carrying $12,000 (or more if you play boutique horns like Monette) worth of horns. Also, you're not going to find many repairs for under $100 anymore. Maybe a minor dent removal or something. A serious fall or accident could do hundreds of dollars in damage.

I'm happy for you that you have enough disposable income that it doesn't concern you to spend an extra few hundred dollars on a repair that could possibly have been prevented, but some of us would rather have the extra protection of a hard case that can be had for cheaper than the new Cronkhite bags. It's a matter of practicality over the "cool looks" of a gig bag.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grizzle wrote:
homebilly wrote:
mine is in a paper bag

Settle down now...

Maybe like this one?

😉

Disclaimer: just a joke, I own Torpedos, they are GREAT.

Brad
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snichols wrote:
It's a matter of practicality over the "cool looks" of a gig bag.

Gig bags are super practical, and not about cool looks (to me). They're light, easy to get in and out of when under a chair, you can put all sorts of different things in them for work (maybe a couple trumpets, snacks, bottle of jack for after, plus your ereader, and whatever else you want to lug).

Again, never had damage to a horn using a gig bag. It only requires that you be responsible when using the bag. This includes Altieris - I have a triple backpack that is preferred when I have to cycle with horns.
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trombahonker wrote:
snichols wrote:

Gig bags are super practical, and not about cool looks (to me). They're light, easy to get in and out of when under a chair, you can put all sorts of different things in them for work (maybe a couple trumpets, snacks, bottle of jack for after, plus your ereader, and whatever else you want to lug).

Again, never had damage to a horn using a gig bag. It only requires that you be responsible when using the bag. This includes Altieris - I have a triple backpack that is preferred when I have to cycle with horns.

That's great, and I'm truly glad that you haven't had any issues. I personally like to prepare for the worst. A person can be super responsible, but that doesn't prevent other people's actions, or even just accidents. Nobody plans on tripping on the curb, or their strap breaking, or getting in a car or bike accident, but it happens.
grizzle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just added a few of Glenn's trumpet related lineup, and they are on SALE!

Rotary Trumpet Bag
Cornet Bag (Shepherd's Crook)
Flugelhorn Bag to the website.

Photos will follow in a few days when we have time.

https://torpedobags.com/product-category/cronkhite-trumpet-bags/

Still to come, probably by the weekend:

Large flugelhorn (Van Laar, Vintage 1, etc.)
Flugabone (Seriously -- Glenn made everything!)
Piccolo Trumpet
Double Trumpet or 1 Trumpet + Mutes
Trumpet & Flugel or 2 Trumpet + Mutes
Contra Alto Trumpet (I didn't even know there was such a thing, but we have it!)
Bass Trumpet, small
Bass Trumpet, large
The other Cornet Size -- I have to check but I think it's longer than the Shepherd's Crook size. If Kelli didn't distinguish the two, I'll make sure she does.
612-849-3574
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snichols wrote:
trombahonker wrote:
snichols wrote:

That's great, and I'm truly glad that you haven't had any issues. I personally like to prepare for the worst. A person can be super responsible, but that doesn't prevent other people's actions, or even just accidents. Nobody plans on tripping on the curb, or their strap breaking, or getting in a car or bike accident, but it happens.

ANYTHING is possible, I don't think any instrument case is a 100% guarantee. Being prepared for accidents is wise, and limiting the odds of, in this case, a horn being damaged is a tradeoff between absolute best possible protection (like maybe a Pelican style extremely strong and well padded flight case) and lighter weight, portability, etc. My plans for the Cronkhite are using it in situations where I have the best chance of monitoring where it is, who else is around, etc. I doubt it will replace my Torpedos, but for me it's another option depending on circumstances.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: