• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Taylor Trumpet sticky and noisy valve

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chefcaleb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Taylor Trumpet sticky and noisy valve Reply with quote

First off, hopefully I posted this topic in the correct forum... Anyway, I recently bought a like new demo trumpet from Andy Taylor. I love the trumpet. It is a Chicago II Lite. Sounds amazing and plays amazing as well. But there is just something about the valves that just don't seem right to me. I also have a "antique" Taylor, as it were. It is, according to him, one of the first Chicago trumpet models he made. It is also built like a tank and weighs about as much as one too. The valves are much larger and have the spring over piston design as opposed to the spring in piston design of the newer Chicago one. Anyway, this older Taylor has valves that are as quiet as can be and operate like smooth butter. I rarely have to oil them as warm air seems to suffice. But with this newer Chicago, I have to oil every day and even then, it seems to still stick every once and a while and what is most annoying, the springs seem to be very "clangy" or noisy. I guess my expectations were just very high given my older Taylor. Perhaps they were too high? I was wondering if there are any fellow Taylor owners who can chime in and say whether they have had any issues with their valves and if their valves are noisy at all or if they feel they have to oil them every day or more than usual? I do wonder if their are better springs I can buy to alleviate the noisiness of their operation. I bought some Yamaha springs but that just made everything worse.

But what's more, I contacted Andy and he suggested I send it in to Martin Wilk. So I did. The third valve slide is needs some attention any way so it was worth it. Anyway, Martin suggests I nickel plate the valves to alleviate my sticky issues and to allow for more smooth operation. And since this is a 400 buck operation, I wanted to see if anyone on here thinks this is worth that price tag. I've owned a few trumpets in my day and a couple of them have had issues with sticky valves, which is my greatest annoyance. Except of course my old Taylor, that thing works like a charm, those valves are a Godsend. Anyway, I would love some insight. And I will say, I realize that I may not have the best technique when it comes to how I depress the valves; that I may not be depressing them straight down, but I do try to pay attention to how I am pressing them and the problems persist. Thanks so much.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unless you are in love with the horn I'd dump it and save yourself the headache

my .02¢ (worth .00005¢) after inflation
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
Chefcaleb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:
unless you are in love with the horn I'd dump it and save yourself the headache

my .02¢ (worth .00005¢) after inflation

Okay, I'm not really looking at getting rid of the horn. I like it very much and if I can get the valves working to the way I like, then it will be perfect. I do wonder if I am just expecting too much. Which may certainly be the case.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying it should happen, but sometimes newer valves just need a bit more care and attention than well worn-in ones do...

I'm assuming it's a hoxxon block (the older one would have been the old bauerfeinds)?
I've had quite a few horns with that block (all Eclipse's, but it's the same supplier) and they've all benefited from regular cleaning whilst fairly new, and they've been better with lighter weight synthetic oils (I personally like Ultrapure ultra-lite best)... but once working well, they're one of the nicest blocks I've had the pleasure of using.

Regardless of whether it feels like they need it, ALL valves should be oiled regularly - at the very least every day IMHO. It doesn't take much time or effort, but it could save a lot of headache down the line.

I'm not sure I get the recommendation to plate a virtually brand-new valveset - they're not old, worn valves that should need that kind of work... It would be very interesting to know why the tech recommended that.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that you have valve blocks made by two different companies. I seem to remember something about Bauerfind being used in the earlier Taylors. They often are accompanied by the "buttery" feel description.

If the valves are sticking on the return, especially after a long note, I would suspect that the valves are loosely fitted and could benefit from a rebuild. Or try a thicker oil. It doesn't work for all, but for my 72 strad which suffered from the "sticky after long notes" issues for decades, switching to Berp Bio oil made the issue go away.

Martin should have done a compression test that would help determine the fit.

However, the noisy spring issue might not be solvable even if the sticking issue is.
Chefcaleb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
I suspect that you have valve blocks made by two different companies. I seem to remember something about Bauerfind being used in the earlier Taylors. They often are accompanied by the "buttery" feel description.

If the valves are sticking on the return, especially after a long note, I would suspect that the valves are loosely fitted and could benefit from a rebuild. Or try a thicker oil. It doesn't work for all, but for my 72 strad which suffered from the "sticky after long notes" issues for decades, switching to Berp Bio oil made the issue go away.

Martin should have done a compression test that would help determine the fit.

However, the noisy spring issue might not be solvable even if the sticking issue is.

Martin said the compression is perfect, as I already knew it was. This is pretty much a new Taylor horn. The sticky after long notes is exactly the issue, you hit the nail on the head with that. And that is why I am wondering if my finger placement is to blame but as I said, I am trying to be careful with that.

I am using Hetman's oil. I thought that the consensus was that that oil was the best, but if you all think I should switch to something else, then I will. I agree with everyone, a new horn like this really should not need plating. And Martin Wilk said that he normally only plates when there is compression issues, wear issues or something of that nature going on. HOWEVER, he has seen success with using nickel plating when customers come in complaining of the occasional sticking issue, which is why he suggested the plating. He does all of the warranty work for Andy Taylor, so he seems to know his stuff. He is the inventor of the MAW valves as well, so again, it would seem he knows his stuff. It would seem I am starting to lean towards not getting it done and perhaps focusing on switching oils, oiling everyday (which I hadn't been doing since I was used to my older Taylor) and maybe searching once again for better springs.
Chefcaleb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
I'm not saying it should happen, but sometimes newer valves just need a bit more care and attention than well worn-in ones do...

I'm assuming it's a hoxxon block (the older one would have been the old bauerfeinds)?
I've had quite a few horns with that block (all Eclipse's, but it's the same supplier) and they've all benefited from regular cleaning whilst fairly new, and they've been better with lighter weight synthetic oils (I personally like Ultrapure ultra-lite best)... but once working well, they're one of the nicest blocks I've had the pleasure of using.

Regardless of whether it feels like they need it, ALL valves should be oiled regularly - at the very least every day IMHO. It doesn't take much time or effort, but it could save a lot of headache down the line.

I'm not sure I get the recommendation to plate a virtually brand-new valveset - they're not old, worn valves that should need that kind of work... It would be very interesting to know why the tech recommended that.

You're very right, the older Taylor has the Bauerfeind valves. They are very big and buttery. The new Taylor has smaller ones. So perhaps the main issue is that they are newer valves and just need to be more worn in and like I said in my other post, I need to oil them more frequently. The older Taylor made me more complacent I think.

And like I said in my other reply, Martin, the tech, said that he only suggested the plate finish due to the occasional stickiness. But he thinks the compression is perfect and the operation seems fine to him. He said that he has seen benefits from plating for costumers that come in complaining of the occasional stickiness. That the plating will offer a much more smooth operation. But he noted that there is nothing inherently wrong with the valves themselves.
Geodude
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is basically a new horn, you may well still be in the break in period where you need to be pretty attentive to cleaning and oiling. If you search a bit you should be able to find a post from Tom Turner (pretty sure) regarding breaking in new valves. It involved frequent oiling and piston and casing wiping until things settled in. That being said, I'm not sure that well oiled and scrupulously clean pistons and casings are going to address your noisy springs. Good luck getting things sorted.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chefcaleb wrote:
This is pretty much a new Taylor horn.

I suspect that the '72 Bach I own had loosely fitted valves from the factory. I was the only owner and know that I oiled regularly, so I doubt the issues with that horn were due to wear.

I spent many years trying to press the valves straight to prevent the sticking. I personally think this concept is mostly an urban myth. YMMV.

But based on your post, I agree that loose fit probably is not the issue with your horn.

re the oil change. It only costs a few dollars to try different oils. If you switch to a heavier Hetman's oil you probably don't even need to clean the valves when switching oils.
scipioap
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chefcaleb wrote:
TKSop wrote:
I'm assuming it's a hoxxon block (the older one would have been the old Bauerfeinds)?

You're very right, the older Taylor has the Bauerfeind valves. They are very big and buttery. The new Taylor has smaller ones. So perhaps the main issue is that they are newer valves and just need to be more worn in and like I said in my other post, I need to oil them more frequently. The older Taylor made me more complacent I think.

I couldn't agree more about the far superiority of the Bauerfeind valves - I have them in my Adams A9 - they're incomparable to all else out there, as well as being lowest maintenance. So I assume Bauerfeinds are now exclusively in the Adams line?

Therefore my conclusion - why not just trade the new Taylor in for a new Adams?

If there's a lesson: always suspect the reason a shop wants to unload a 'demo' horn - apparently you found it.
1963 Martin Committee #3
1962 Martin Committee Cornet #3
1961 Martin Custom Committee C
1941 Martin HC Committee #2
1945 Martin Committee #2
1942 Martin HC Committee Cornet
1941 Martin IBICO Indiana
2012 Kanstul 1525 SLB
1977 Olds CT Flugel
nordlandstrompet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which oil are you using?

Next step: Clean the valves and cases properly and reoil with TrombaT2 oil
---------------------------
Taylor
Chicago Custom X-VR
Chicago Gen III

CarolBrass
CTR-5200V-(D)-L
CCT-9392-GLS(D)
CCR-9990-RSM-SLB
CPT-3000-GLS
CPT-1000 mini
nordlandstrompet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If there's a lesson: always suspect the reason a shop wants to unload a 'demo' horn - apparently you found it.

This:
http://www.taylortrumpets.com/current_stock_demonstrators.html
Taylor
Chicago Custom X-VR
Chicago Gen III

CarolBrass
CTR-5200V-(D)-L
CCT-9392-GLS(D)
CCR-9990-RSM-SLB
CPT-3000-GLS
CPT-1000 mini
Chefcaleb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nordlandstrompet wrote:
Quote:

This:
http://www.taylortrumpets.com/current_stock_demonstrators.html

Right, I don't think Andy sold me a trumpet that was defective by any means. I first started talking with Andy when I bought the vintage Chicago and have had a relationship with him for a little while before purchasing this horn and I think that the main issue was that I didn't know that the new Chicago line had different valve blocks than the old ones and therefore require a different approach. Andy is a stand up guy and is upset that my horn isn't working to my standards but I really think it is more operator error and different expectations that's to blame. I'm going to try different springs that have been mentioned on other forum topics and the different oils mentioned here. I think I will pass on the nickel plating as I don't see that as necessary.
Chefcaleb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nordlandstrompet wrote:
Which oil are you using?

Currently using Hetmans 3 oil.
nordlandstrompet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chefcaleb wrote:
nordlandstrompet wrote:
Which oil are you using?

Really, you should try the T2. I know this works very well on these valves
Taylor
Chicago Custom X-VR
Chicago Gen III

CarolBrass
CTR-5200V-(D)-L
CCT-9392-GLS(D)
CCR-9990-RSM-SLB
CPT-3000-GLS
CPT-1000 mini
Chefcaleb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nordlandstrompet wrote:
Chefcaleb wrote:
nordlandstrompet wrote:
Which oil are you using?

Okay, will do
nordlandstrompet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chefcaleb wrote:
nordlandstrompet wrote:
Chefcaleb wrote:
nordlandstrompet wrote:
Which oil are you using?

Okay, will do

PM me when you have the oil and I will explain the procedure for you
Taylor
Chicago Custom X-VR
Chicago Gen III

CarolBrass
CTR-5200V-(D)-L
CCT-9392-GLS(D)
CCR-9990-RSM-SLB
CPT-3000-GLS
CPT-1000 mini
Zman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chefcaleb wrote:
nordlandstrompet wrote:
Which oil are you using?

Hi,
Before anything try picking up some Hetmann #1 which is a thinner consistency. (#3 is really more geared towards vintage horns with a little bit of wear to them)
I have a Taylor Chicago Lite II with that block myself, and I think I am qualified to comment on CarolBrass and their valve blocks and my experience with them (Distributor for quite some time) The #3 Oil is really too thick. #1 is the one I always recommend for the Hoxon Valve blocks (although they now ship with the Tromba T2 Oils)
HC Committee #2
HC Imperial #3 LB & #4 XL Bore
Deluxe Committee Bb, C & Eb
Taylor Chicago II Lite
Yamaha 8335LA

www.thebrasscellar.com
www.facebook.com/thebrasscellar
www.youtube.com/channel/UCZk1sIuyVsQzrbsl7HfIfKw/
nordlandstrompet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zman wrote:
Chefcaleb wrote:
nordlandstrompet wrote:
Which oil are you using?

Hi,
Before anything try picking up some Hetmann #1 which is a thinner consistency. (#3 is really more geared towards vintage horns with a little bit of wear to them)
I have a Taylor Chicago Lite II with that block myself, and I think I am qualified to comment on CarolBrass and their valve blocks and my experience with them (Distributor for quite some time) The #3 Oil is really too thick. #1 is the one I always recommend for the Hoxon Valve blocks (although they now ship with the Tromba T2 Oils)

Well.... I have been distributor for Taylor since 2009 and CarolBrass since 2011,
and have most of the guilt for that CB is distributing their horns with T2...
Taylor
Chicago Custom X-VR
Chicago Gen III

CarolBrass
CTR-5200V-(D)-L
CCT-9392-GLS(D)
CCR-9990-RSM-SLB
CPT-3000-GLS
CPT-1000 mini
Zman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nordlandstrompet wrote:
Zman wrote:
Chefcaleb wrote:
nordlandstrompet wrote:
Which oil are you using?

Hi,

Well.... I have been distributor for Taylor since 2009 and CarolBrass since 2011,
and have most of the guilt for that CB is distributing their horns with T2...

Oh - sorry didn't mean to not go with your recommendation - I think that's a also a good advice. Hetmann #1 might be easier to find is all. Can you shoot me a PM when you get a chance. Thx
HC Committee #2
HC Imperial #3 LB & #4 XL Bore
Deluxe Committee Bb, C & Eb
Taylor Chicago II Lite
Yamaha 8335LA

www.thebrasscellar.com
www.facebook.com/thebrasscellar
www.youtube.com/channel/UCZk1sIuyVsQzrbsl7HfIfKw/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: