• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Taylor Trumpet sticky and noisy valve

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chefcaleb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zman wrote:
Chefcaleb wrote:
nordlandstrompet wrote:
Which oil are you using?

Next step: Clean the valves and cases properly and reoil with TrombaT2 oil

Currently using Hetmans 3 oil.

Hi,
Before anything try picking up some Hetmann #1 which is a thinner consistency. (#3 is really more geared towards vintage horns with a little bit of wear to them)
I have a Taylor Chicago Lite II with that block myself, and I think I am qualified to comment on CarolBrass and their valve blocks and my experience with them (Distributor for quite some time) The #3 Oil is really too thick. #1 is the one I always recommend for the Hoxon Valve blocks (although they now ship with the Tromba T2 Oils)

Hey so I have a question then specifically for you then since you have my specific model of trumpet. Are the springs on your valves unusually noisy? Or are they real quiet. Because that is one of the concerns I have. Thanks
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll stand by my recommendation of ultrapure ultralight... But hetman#1 is similar consistency - haven't tried t2.

Hetman #3 is WAY too thick for hoxxon valves.

What kind of noise are we talking here?
It sounds almost like brass guides or harder pads (instead of felts) or something like that? It's unusual for springs themselves to be noisy.
Chefcaleb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
I'll stand by my recommendation of ultrapure ultralight... But hetman#1 is similar consistency - haven't tried t2.

Hetman #3 is WAY too thick for hoxxon valves.

What kind of noise are we talking here?
It sounds almost like brass guides or harder pads (instead of felts) or something like that? It's unusual for springs themselves to be noisy.

Yeah, when I get the horn back I'll definitely try new oil, the ones suggested. As for the sound, it is most definitely the springs. It sounds like an old mattress when you sit on it. Ok, not that bad but you get the idea. I'm almost tempted to say the springs are too small and allowed to move around too much when being pressed, if that makes any sense. If I could attach a video I would, but that seems very difficult on here. The sound isn't horrible mind you. It was horrible with the Yamaha springs I tried replacing the originals with, but the originals aren't that bad. Just a mild nuisance. My old taylor that has the spring over piston design is as quiet as can be and that's what I really like. No sound at all...
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...And since this is a 400 buck operation, I wanted to see if anyone on here thinks this is worth that price tag."

Yes, if you want it to work right. European makers have some problems with fitting valves. Some are too loose, and there doesn't seem to be anyone on the continent who can refit them the way that Anderson and Osmun can. So, if you like the way the horn plays, it will only be amplified by a proper refitting.
https://yourbrass.com/
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me get this right... You purchased a trumpet from the manufacturer, as an ex-demo horn. Plays great, but the valves are noisy and at least one of them hang.

The answer from the manufacturer is - go to a tech and pay money to get it working right.

Really?

There is a thing called warranty, and also consumer rights. New, or demo, it is a new horn and you have the right to buy trumpet which actually works. At the very least, the manufacturer needs to make good on the repair and cover ALL costs involved.

cheers

Andy
Chefcaleb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
Let me get this right... You purchased a trumpet from the manufacturer, as an ex-demo horn. Plays great, but the valves are noisy and at least one of them hang.

The answer from the manufacturer is - go to a tech and pay money to get it working right.

Really?

There is a thing called warranty, and also consumer rights. New, or demo, it is a new horn and you have the right to buy trumpet which actually works. At the very least, the manufacturer needs to make good on the repair and cover ALL costs involved.

cheers

Andy

Well I think that this is a case of operator error. After doing some deducing with fellow players on here I think what it comes down to is me using way too thick oil on the valves. I was using the same oil I used on my older Taylor with a different valve block so it seems a thinner oil will do the trick. And better springs as well. So hard lesson learned, but one learned anyway. The tech himself said the valves look good. And I agree I should be compensated for any repairs, but I did get this horn with a very heavy discount due to it being a demo and it was priced thusly. So I do have to take that into account. But I certainly agree with what you said.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: