• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Warburton trumpets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xtremetrumpeter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Warburton trumpets Reply with quote

Hi everyone! So, I'm on the list for a lacquer 132 ML trumpet. Anyone have any reviews about the Warburton horns? What kind of configurations do you have? I've been using Warburton mouthpieces for years and can't wait to try out their horns!
Yamaha 8335 LA
ACB Doubler's Flugelhorn
Carol Brass 5000L (backup)
Kanstul 1510C with Copper Bell
Brasspire Piccolo
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Warburton 335-ML, which was nice for all-around playing. Terry's horns are well made. The fit and finish on mine were excellent. He uses the Hoxxon Gakki (CarolBrass) valve block, I believe, which worked fine. I didn't notice that the "slot receiver" made much difference, but it certainly didn't seem to do any harm.

My 335-ML setup is a lot different than the one you ordered, so I can't offer much else in terms of useful information, other than to add that Terry's horns are unfortunately not well known, which hurts resale. I put mine up for sale a little over a month after I received it -- I inherited several horns from a decreased relative and thus no longer needed the Warburton. It took over six months to sell at about half the price I paid.

I hope that you enjoy your new horn!
xtremetrumpeter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
I had a Warburton 335-ML, which was nice for all-around playing. Terry's horns are well made. The fit and finish on mine were excellent. He uses the Hoxxon Gakki (CarolBrass) valve block, I believe, which worked fine. I didn't notice that the "slot receiver" made much difference, but it certainly didn't seem to do any harm.

My 335-ML setup is a lot different than the one you ordered, so I can't offer much else in terms of useful information, other than to add that Terry's horns are unfortunately not well known, which hurts resale. I put mine up for sale a little over a month after I received it -- I inherited several horns from a decreased relative and thus no longer needed the Warburton. It took over six months to sell at about half the price I paid.

I hope that you enjoy your new horn!

Thanks for the info! I'm hoping I won't need to resell this horn. I've been going through a lot of horns finding one that will fit everything that I do. It's harder for me in Hawaii...especially on Maui since we don't have any musical instrument stores to try out horns.
Yamaha 8335 LA
ACB Doubler's Flugelhorn
Brasspire Piccolo
xtremetrumpeter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my Warburton 132ML trumpet this past weekend and used it for the opening weekend of the musical 9 to 5. It's an amazing horn! I was once told that if I ever found a horn that has a double A on it to keep it...I've struck gold! I'm able to not only get out a double A, but also the B as well. These 2 notes have always given me grief, but not anymore. Can't wait to try this horn out with my big band this week and see how my fellow trumpet players like my new horn!
Yamaha 8335 LA
ACB Doubler's Flugelhorn
Brasspire Piccolo
islandtrumpeter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Warburton Flugel (serial number 13) in a brushed lacquer and absolutely LOVE it. Feels huge in sound and bore compared to other flugels I've played (Yamaha, Bach, etc..) The Warburton 4FLX mouthpiece I had with it was a little too deep for my taste (and love of doodling in the upper register) so I am currently waiting for a medium deep piece from Trent Austin at Austin Custom Brass, as their pieces are slightly less expensive and I use them on my Bb and C trumpets already.
I got a chance to try out their trumpets at a couple different conventions and clinics. I don't remember numbers at all, but every horn Terry and Kim had me try seemed to do exactly what they said it was designed to do and had a great sound. They seem to have more and more artists playing their stuff every day.
Bach Artisan C
Yamaha 6810S Piccolo
ACB Flugel
Austin Custom Brass MPs
xtremetrumpeter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

islandtrumpeter wrote:
I have a Warburton Flugel (serial number 13) in a brushed lacquer and absolutely LOVE it. Feels huge in sound and bore compared to other flugels I've played (Yamaha, Bach, etc..) The Warburton 4FLX mouthpiece I had with it was a little too deep for my taste (and love of doodling in the upper register) so I am currently waiting for a medium deep piece from Trent Austin at Austin Custom Brass, as their pieces are slightly less expensive and I use them on my Bb and C trumpets already.
I got a chance to try out their trumpets at a couple different conventions and clinics. I don't remember numbers at all, but every horn Terry and Kim had me try seemed to do exactly what they said it was designed to do and had a great sound. They seem to have more and more artists playing their stuff every day.

Hi islandtrumpeter...I was wondering if you knew what the difference is with the bigger ferrules on the horn?

Thanks
Yamaha 8335 LA
ACB Doubler's Flugelhorn
Brasspire Piccolo
treymeansthree

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 434 ML in silver as does the lead player in my high school jazz band. I took the band to a jazz festival in St. Louis. Terry and Kim were there with a display. My lead player went into the room and tried out some horns. She came up to me and told me about the horn she had just played that made her double G's so much easier to hit. She was talking about slotting without knowing the terminology. I went in to listen to her and she was right. I jokingly told her to text her mom to tell her she needed a new trumpet right then. She already owed a pro-Yamaha. Her mom amazingly okayed it and she bought it in less than an hour and played it on the gig that day. After I played around on it the following week, I ordered mine. The horn envy was bad until I got mine. I played an 8310Z prior to the purchase of my Warburton. The 434 configuration, in my opinion, plays very similarly to the Shew horn, but is more open and resonant. I can't speak highly enough of my Warburton. A custom horn for less than $2500 is just a price you can't beat.

Bb - Warburton 434-ML
Picc - Yamaha 6810S
Flugel - Yamaha 631
islandtrumpeter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]Hi islandtrumpeter...I was wondering if you knew what the difference is with the bigger ferrules on the horn?[quote]

I do not, but I would definitely ask Terry!
terry@warburton-usa.com
Bach Artisan C
Yamaha 6810S Piccolo
ACB Flugel
Austin Custom Brass MPs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: