• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

lesson teaching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetgal99

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: lesson teaching Reply with quote

Hello all, i am a student education major and would like to start giving lessons, do you have any tips on where i should start when it comes to teaching technique? thank you so much
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

local schools, start at the elementary level and work your way up.

talk less, play more....
Retired Air Force Bandsman
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the lessons address the basics or fundamentals of playing the instrument....tone quality is paramount, articulation, flexibility, embouchure development, finger dexterity, listening skills, etc. Also, work on musical expression, etudes - the development of musical sense.

As I was taught, the most important of all the "basics" is TONE or some might say, sound quality. Emphasize that beautiful, clear, and resonant tone is the player's greatest asset - not the current fixation with extreme high range playing.

There seems to be disagreement on the value of mouthpiece buzzing, but I was taught to buzz everything I played. For me, I think it was very beneficial, and I still buzz today.

My teacher used to be sure to write down all my lesson work from my various method books, solo practice, etc. on a notepad he used - this would help me to remember to practice all the things he assigned over the week (I had a lesson once a week and then went home and practiced for the next lesson).

If you are seeking to give lessons, I would assume you have a good, well-developed tone yourself. So, play along with and play for the student. The ability to produce a good tone is significantly influenced and learned by listening to and imitation of someone who has a good sound.

Just some ideas to consider.

Last edited by DaveH on Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:59 am; edited 1 time in total
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ this. I'd also add intonation, or playing in tune with oneself (proper intervals) and with others (pitch matching). Practicing at home with a drone helps to develop pitch awareness. Also, playing in unison or duets with the teacher during lessons helps.

In her masterclass on youtube, Barbara Butler mentioned that too many players wait too long before addressing intonation. She thinks pitch awareness is a skill that can and should be cultivated early in a student's development.
Piccolo Stomvi
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concerning skill level, it might be actually easier to teach non-beginning level students, assuming their previous learning was good. You can do less damage, LOL.

Ref. tone studies, I have found "moving" long tones more helpful than traditional long tones. Those long tones can really demand an endurance type response that can take away from the main goal; working on pure tone. Alternatives are things like the Concone vocal studies and Chicowitz's Flow Studies (actually long tone studies).

For frugal or unfocused multitaskers, you might consider a lesson book that already has a progressive and comprehensive group of studies in each lesson, like the Rubank or Mitchell studies, instead of several books at one time. Helpful for you to keep track of things, as well as the student. I personally used the Arban book for years, but that was by those experienced in teaching (Schilke, Ernest Williams), which you are not.

A lesson book for the student to keep and refer to is also good.

If you're interested in tone, a read through Chicowitz's teaching methods may be helpful, as well as Claude Gordon's "brass playing is no harder than deep breathing".

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
local schools, start at the elementary level and work your way up.

talk less, play more....

This, especially the last four words. Regardless of the level of student you are teaching, playing during the lesson demonstrates proper tone quality, technique, etc. ( assuming of course you have those things!) far better than verbal explanations, and it establishes your credibility as a teacher. That being said though, remember that students need to learn how to count and figure out rhythms on their own without hearing it played first.

One other caution, I found this out many years ago the hard way: different students at different levels have different levels of enthusiasm and interest.
Sometimes newer, young, enthusiastic teachers assume every kid is as enthused about playing as they are, some will be, some are not and many are somewhere in the middle. Especially with beginners, I consider one of my primary jobs as a lesson teacher to be keeping the kid from quitting; sometimes the seemingly least interested kids and those who practice the least later become much more interested. As a teacher I would hate to think that a student who might later do very well decided to quit because I was putting to much pressure on him, and taking the fun out of learning music. And as much as I agree with the "results, not excuses" teaching philosophy, music is still supposed to be fun. Sometimes school music programs, because of schedules, contests, etc., lose sight of that.

Brad
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been stated, playing with/for the student is important, assuming you have the skills. Many times, you are the only model for them to emulate.

Also, for fun, encouragement, and confidence-building, I like to save a few minutes to play a duet with the student before the lesson is over. As their reading improves, let them play the top part first time through.

Alan
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You learn to teach by being taught.
bamajazzlady
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start with adults as unlike children/teens they can't be forced to do anything, plus they come with a lifetime (depends) of listening to music.
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd make friends with local band directors, go play and prove you are a decent player and offer a slightly (and I mean slightly) lower pay rate for your services until you are established and you should be successful. Offering too low of a pay rate can seriously undercut the industry, which does no good for anyone.
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaTrompeta wrote:
... offer a slightly (and I mean slightly) lower pay rate for your services until you are established and you should be successful.

Please take this opinion with a grain of salt - it may be that this is great advice in a given teaching environment, but, in my experience, I'm not sure it's a good idea to offer discount lessons for a number of reasons.

1. Potential customers' perception of your value will be influenced by what you charge. If you know what you're doing, and charge the going rate then the way you are perceived will, in turn, be categorized alongside the professional standard. Music lessons are a luxury, and pricing yourself as a discount provider doesn't just hurt everyone else, it also makes you look less credible.

2. Unless there's a real financial barrier (in which case you could negotiate privately), the difference between cheap lessons and proper priced lessons will rarely be a difference-maker for people who are going to take the lessons seriously. If they won't take them seriously, then you especially want to be paid well, because there's nothing worse than working for cheaper than what you should get from people who are a pain.

3. If the lessons go well, you might have an ongoing relationship with these people for years, and they may pass your name along to others. If you charge an introductory price, you'll have a much harder time changing that later, and will have an awkward conversation if a parent recommends you at a certain rate, and you ask for another.

It's not easy when you're starting out to make sure that you get paid properly, but, IMHO, tempting though it may be, you likely don't do yourself any favours in the long run by cutting your rates. (Assuming you're not desperate, naturally.)
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve A wrote:
LaTrompeta wrote:
... offer a slightly (and I mean slightly) lower pay rate for your services until you are established and you should be successful.

Please take this opinion with a grain of salt - it may be that this is great advice in a given teaching environment, but, in my experience, I'm not sure it's a good idea to offer discount lessons for a number of reasons.

1. Potential customers' perception of your value will be influenced by what you charge. If you know what you're doing, and charge the going rate then the way you are perceived will, in turn, be categorized alongside the professional standard. Music lessons are a luxury, and pricing yourself as a discount provider doesn't just hurt everyone else, it also makes you look less credible.

2. Unless there's a real financial barrier (in which case you could negotiate privately), the difference between cheap lessons and proper priced lessons will rarely be a difference-maker for people who are going to take the lessons seriously. If they won't take them seriously, then you especially want to be paid well, because there's nothing worse than working for cheaper than what you should get from people who are a pain.

3. If the lessons go well, you might have an ongoing relationship with these people for years, and they may pass your name along to others. If you charge an introductory price, you'll have a much harder time changing that later, and will have an awkward conversation if a parent recommends you at a certain rate, and you ask for another.

It's not easy when you're starting out to make sure that you get paid properly, but, IMHO, tempting though it may be, you likely don't do yourself any favours in the long run by cutting your rates. (Assuming you're not desperate, naturally.)

This.

Brad
Trumpetbjorn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people teach how they learn (or learned). This is our most natural way and a good place to start with respect to finding your teaching technique.
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetbjörn wrote:
Many people teach how they learn (or learned). This is our most natural way and a good place to start with respect to finding your teaching technique.

Having been an educator for 30 years - not music, however - I can verify this statement as being absolutely correct. It is true of any kind of teaching situation. Whatever your personal learning style will be your teaching style as well.

I also feel there is wisdom in the concept of charging an appropriate fee. If you are good enough and qualified to be giving lessons, you should charge accordingly. I am sure that people like to get a discount, but I have found in general that people also tend to lack respect for that which doesn't cost very much and is priced too inexpensively.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: