• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet playing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FivePointer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Trumpet playing Reply with quote

Has anyone ever experienced any I damage from the pressure of playing the trumpet? I went to the optometrist the other day discovered some slight bleeding on the retina of one of my eyes. Before I get check to see if I have diabetes I was wondering if anybody out there had problems with their eyes just by playing the trumpet? Thanks
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know two players who have sustained eye damage that they attribute to playing the trumpet. In both cases it was a ruptured blood vessel that caused some loss of vision that eventually healed. One player took his doctor's advice and gave up playing. The other, having suffered a few episodes of this, continues to play at a very high level.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another great reason to learn to play with as little pressure as possible. Since this is a relatively rare phenomenon, one would have to wonder if the amount of pressure was partially or completely responsible or if some folks are just predisposed to this kind of thing.
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
Peter Bond
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Trumpet playing Reply with quote

FivePointer wrote:
Has anyone ever experienced any I damage from the pressure of playing the trumpet? I went to the optometrist the other day discovered some slight bleeding on the retina of one of my eyes. Before I get check to see if I have diabetes I was wondering if anybody out there had problems with their eyes just by playing the trumpet? Thanks

I have had 5 retinal sureries over the past two years. Most folks assumed ithe problems were trumpet related, but doctors assured me that playing was not a factor in the tears or partial detachments, nor should worry about future eye problems because of playing (age and nearsightedness were the cause).
After surgery however, I was told to avoid playing or strenuous activity for a period of time until severed blood vessels could heal properly.
That said, learning to play with as little physical effort as possible I always a good thing.
Belanna

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happened to me once. In a class of mine we were doing experiment that required me to play one long note from a distance. Given the opportunity to play as loud as I possibly could, I got a little ‘overexcited’ and burst a bunch of blood vessels in both eyes. Blood vessels in the eye can burst randomly due to an increase in blood pressure such as exuberant sneezing, exercising, or, of course, playing the trumpet. Generally, playing the trumpet doesn’t exert enough pressure on your blood vessels, unless you are playing very loud or high with extreme exertion like I was. It should only be a rare, spontaneous thing so if this is happening to you regularly it is most definitely because of an underlying issue, not your trumpet playing.
Trumpjerele
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a documentary about Quincy Jones where they said he suffered a stroke from playing the trumpet. The doctors recommended him to stop playing the trumpet.

You have to admit that the man knew how to reinvent himself!!!

Trumpet: Yamaha 8310Z
Mouthpiece: the great Yamaha11b4

Sax tenor: Yamaha YTS 23
Mouthpiece: Otto link tone edge
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 'too much pressure' situation might result from using an embouchure technique that emphasizes producing extremely high 'resistance' as the way to upper register notes. That resistance could be gotten through extreme rim pressure, tightly 'clamped-shut lips', extreme tongue closure of air passage, etc. And then blowing with extreme force in an attempt to overcome the high resistance.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Trumpet playing Reply with quote

FivePointer wrote:

The short answer is that it's very unlikely. Most of these phenomena (including retinal detachment, retinal hemorrhage, amaurosis fugax) are often degenerative in nature, and related to hypertension, diabetes, and vascular disease. And all of them can result in a loss of vision, and require evaluation by a physician.

Belanna's reply is worth repeating. He is talking about subconjunctival hemorrhages. They can come from sneezing, coughing, heavy lifting, trumpet-playing, etc. They look serious, but are painless and harmless. And they heal spontaneously over the course of a a few weeks to a couple months.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of trumpet playing causing anybody damage to their eyes. Just their ears
mograph
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at risk for glaucoma, mostly due to the shape of my eye. I asked the doc about brass playing elevating the eye pressure, and he said that he knew of no studies suggesting such a connection.

HOWEVER, these studies suggest (to me) that lead players might be at risk for higher intra-ocular (within the eye) pressure increases, and there's some risk for all players depending on frequency of play, and general levels of pitch.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10647731/

link
Playing for fun since 1979.
Fmr member 48th Highlanders of Canada Mil Band
Into that jazz devil music
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: