• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece Gap

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:
trumpet56 wrote:
Just for your information my Bb Bach trumpet receiver and my Stork mouthpiece has a gap of 1 1/4 inch or 3 cm. My Bach 184 cornet with a Toshi mouthpiece has a 1 inch or approximately 2.5 cm's and both horns slot well!? Go figure.

Where exactly are you measuring the gap?

I was measuring from the end of the outside shank of the receiver. However measuring from the inside the gap is 1/8th of an inch. My mistake.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet56 wrote:
oxleyk wrote:
trumpet56 wrote:
Just for your information my Bb Bach trumpet receiver and my Stork mouthpiece has a gap of 1 1/4 inch or 3 cm. My Bach 184 cornet with a Toshi mouthpiece has a 1 inch or approximately 2.5 cm's and both horns slot well!? Go figure.

Where exactly are you measuring the gap?

I was measuring from the end of the outside shank of the receiver. However measuring from the inside the gap is 1/8th of an inch. My mistake.

Hi

1/8" on your trumpet or cornet?

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

feedback@stomvi-usa wrote:
I want to thank everyone for engaging in this discussion about the annulus, or gap. Anyone who has spoken to me or attended one of my seminars knows how much I believe in adjusting the gap in order to maximize the sound/performance of your mouthpiece/trumpet set-up.

It seems as though I did a not so good job of communicating some of my studies and conclusions in my "Hey Kids" interview and so I would like to clarify as best as I can.

I agree with the poll referenced in another thread in what I read to be a definition of the gap. Colloquially, the gap is the space between the end of the mouthpiece and the start of the leadpipe. That is what the gap is and changing this dimension affects the intonation alignment of the different modes.

IMHO, the goal of adjusting the gap is to get the highest percentage of modes in tune with themselves as possible. This will give you the easiest play and most resonant sound possible with your current equipment.

Later in the interview I talk about how lip penetration affects the intonation. I am not saying the gap or the tuning effect of the gap starts in the cup. Remember the gap is the space between the end of the mouthpiece and the start of the leadpipe.

I mention the tuning effect of lip penetration as one of the main reasons the best gap cannot be calculated. If you understand that lip penetration affects tuning, then you understand that any equation that calculates the gap without including lip penetration as a variable will not work. This is because lip penetration changes from player to player even on the same mouthpiece because of a number of human factors (lip fleshiness, tooth structure, how hard they blow, etc).

It is for this reason that I am a fan of determining the best gap for each mouthpiece and trumpet and player through experimentation. It's easy and it works.

If you really want to dig into this you will note that you can, by changing the rim diameter and/or shape, affect the intonation as well. These parameters vary the lip penetration and can be used to help the relative intonation and thus improve playability and sound. IMHO, this is cumbersome and that is why it is not my primary method of maximizing intonation.

As a mouthpiece designer, I have also studied the change in lip penetration as a player changes registers and how this affects intonation. It is difficult to design mouthpieces that maintain good intonation as the lip penetration changes from register to register. I have done my best to design pieces that take this into account and continue to study this and many other aspects of the player-mouthpiece-trumpet system because, simply, I'm a trumpet geek first!

I hope this clarifies things and please have great gigs!

If you have any questions about Gap or our equipment please give us a call.

K.O. Skinsnes

Sorry for misinterpreting and misrepresenting your work.
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
feedback@stomvi-usa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConAlba wrote:
K.O., you say; 'Many of the "optimal gap solutions" are based on intuitive approaches using airflow. My studies have shown that the main changes happening when you change the gap are acoustic changes'

Do you think that the little turned rings in various lengths placed in the gap as used by Harrelson and others do the job, or does the fact that they don't change the axial position of the mouthpiece itself mean they won't have the correct effect?

Ronnie

Putting spacers in against the lead pipe will definitely affect the relative intonation of the modes. If you decrease the gap using spacers you will get a different intonation pattern than if you achieve this same gap using a system like our Flex Couplers. It's the change in the size (volume) of the gap that changes the intonation. Using spacers to achieve the same penetration measurement as using Couplers, will have a different volume and thus a different change in the intonation pattern. In other words, the same gap with spacers will yield a different intonation pattern than that achieved with Couplers.

I prefer a system like our Couplers because it is quicker and easier than inserting and extracting spacers. Our Coupler system also allows you to increase the gap which, obviously, spacers are not able to do.

The bottom line is that if using spacers or couplers improves your set-up, go for it. It's all about having as much fun as possible playing the trumpet!

K.O.

https://stomvi-usa.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/stomviusavideo
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stomvi-USA/106129483617
https://twitter.com/Stomvi_USA
888-702-7277
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this discussion is very worthwhile, and have some results from very extensive experimentation that may be of practical use to those still confused. Before engaging the conversation I feel compelled to qualify that this is a fine point, and someone starting the school year after not practicing over Summer vacation and now having blown out chops from marching band should spend their time practicing sensibly rather than mucking about trying to fine tune gap. Valid play testing requires stable playing, which is the result of solid mechanics and fundamentals. This can absolutely be achieved at any age and within a couple years of playing for the exceptional student, but a certain skill level is required to make sense of this.

Of the various ways to experiment with this, if you want to get confused and give up in frustration just try to dial in the best feel and resistance for you. Somewhat better is to play​ scales and such, searching for the most even sound from note to note, and throughout your range. (This point deserves to have a sidebar issue addressed:. practicing to achieve the most even tone possible throughout all registers is STILL an important component of sensible practice! Practicing on the right gap sure makes it a lot more rewarding, though.)

Another way to go about it is what I did first, once I bought a means to experiment with gap. At the time it was a mystery who made it, but it is now identified as Jim New's adjustable backbore, which does work. Gap does affect how well I can play my very highest notes, but testing via this method is tiring, burns up a lot of practice time that could be better spent, and requires the highest level of playing consistency, meaning it is the most subject to player variation and placebo effect.

I find if I start by tuning to a concert A in the staff, using a good tuner, then check my other octaves, then do the same with open C, Bb, and G, that whatever gap performs best in this test also performs best (or at least as well) as any other gap in all the other tests mentioned above. This idea of using a good tuner also needs some clarification: a snark doesn't count. Any app I've tried on my phone that claims to be accurate to one cent, is. However, when they register how far off a note is, they drastically overstate and are only reliable in telling you if you're flat or sharp, and by a little or a lot, but not really by how much. More importantly, none of this does any good unless you center the note with your eyes closed, maintain pitch, and only then open your eyes!! In other words, a tuner does not replace good ears, nor does it reduce the need for ear training. You need to play each note you test "where the horn really wants it" for this method of testing to be valid. Once you get used to doing this it goes a lot quicker than trying to write it out.

Using the above methods has produced quite surprising results, demonstrating to me that ideal gap for any mpc is unpredictable, and each needs to be tested, just like KO states.

The most surprising part to me is discovering that what makes me play best on the bandstand is the horn / mpc combo that plays the best in tune, not how it sounds or feels.
jeancalo1198

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GR does speak about the GAP, here is a link

https://www.grmouthpieces.com/category-s/244.htm

Where he writes:

The Gap is a very critical area of the match between player, mouthpiece and instrument.
Variation in this system due to the taper in the receiver, age of the instrument, size of mouthpiece shank, and poor tolerances by manufactures can be an area for trouble.

GR Technologies has defined the Gap components and their working relationship
These components are the Mouthpiece Shank, Receiver, and Leadpipe.

Measurements:
1. Distance from the end of the receiver to the leadpipe venturi.
2. Engagement of the mouthpiece shank into the leadpipe.
3. Exit diameter of the mouthpiece shank.
4. Leadpipe venturi.
5. Exit wall thickness or the mouthpiece shank.
6. Internal diameter of the receiver.
We use a formula to set gap. A change of .001" on the diameter of the shank will cause a difference of about .020" in the gap distance.
You may need to take your horn and have a professional measure it. If you do it at home make sure you do it several times and your numbers repeat.
If these numbers are set exact to this formula you will have the optimum or Zero Gap.
If the gap is greater it is a positive (+) gap measurement and the result will be a bit more resistance, although, the horn will slot and speak well. If the gap is less it is a minus (-) gap measurement and the result will cause less resistance, as well as, difficulty slotting. Some players like this condition and prefer the gap to the minus side.
If your gap is measured correctly and you find it within
.030" of the Zero positions you should be fine.
Formula: Exit wall of mouthpiece (#5) multiplied times 5.
Example, exit wall of mouthpiece = .025" X 5=. 125" .
Next take Venturi (#4) and subtract it from the Receiver ID (#6). You will need to divide this number by “2” to find the” effective wall thickness” of the leadpipe, and finally multiply the” effective wall thickness” by 1.5.
Example, Venturi is .345" and Receiver ID is .385. Subtract .345 from .385 and divide it by 2, you get an effective leadpipe wall of .020, multiply it by 1.5 =.030" . Now add the .125 and .030 and you get a Zero Gap of .155.
We find this formula to work very well. If you are getting good results there is no need for change. If you make a change measure the gap and calculate the change. It is not expensive to have the Gap adjusted. We recommend you set your gap and leave it alone. Constant change in this area will cause your playing to be insecure.

There are companies out there who manufacture "sleeves" which fit on to an altered mouthpiece shank. These sleeves are supposed to offer the player options in gap adjustment. Our finding is that the sleeves on the market today do not meet their advertised spec, plus they have a major design flaw. These sleeves are secured to the mouthpiece shank using a rubber O ring. This O ring acts as an insulator which deadens accoustical feedback to the player, inhibiting response and overall performance. This is why sleeves are seldom used by working professionals. Your best option is a custom mouthpiece with the shank designed specifically for your horn, or have the horn adjusted to gap properly with your preferred mouthpiece manufacturer.

Blow Resistance

Blow resistance is the acoustical resistance created by the mouthpiece when playing the instrument.
Such resistance depends on the specific design of the cylindrical bore and the backbore.
The blow resistance number that we use is a ratio, which is a multiple of the trumpet bore velocity head.
The mouthpiece blow resistance affects the acoustical impedance of the resonating air column.
We use this when analyzing mouthpieces and matching the player to the mouthpiece.
The bore size alone doesn't provide enough information to accurately make a match of the mouthpiece, horn, and player.
Blow resistance is a function of diameter and length.
We also calculate the volume of each mouthpiece.
This includes the cup, bore and backbore.
Type3B
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot of helpful technical information in the many posts in this thread, and most of it by people far more knowledgeable than I am. But I do know very well my own experience. I play a Stomvi Flex mouthpiece and a Stomvi S3 trumpet, and the difference when I change the size of the couplers is pronounced: notes are easier or harder to start; range is more open or more closed; intonation is more consistent or less consistent; sound quality differs. I could go on, but overall, when you find the correct gap FOR YOU ON YOUR EQUIPMENT, it becomes, as Stomvi says, "Simply easier to play."
grune

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Mouthpiece Gap Reply with quote

WillyCook wrote:
Can some of you experts either explain this whole mouthpiece "gap" thing to me? Or maybe point me to a good source that will explain it? Thank you all.

I am one of the old timers who says no gap is best. Many reasons: too many to list here.

The true reason for the gap is not sound: it is expedience and crappy mass-manufacturing. No mass-manufacturer will incur the time and expense to ensure ALL his mouthpieces fit precisely to ALL his instruments. By creating the gap, 2 results: 1/ the manufacturer incurs one less procedure to reduce his margin; 2/ the consumer is assured ANY mouthpiece can be inserted into the trumpet m/p receiver.
chrisroyal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JetJaguar wrote:
I watched the video in its entirety.

To save some TH'ers some trouble, he calls it a "leadpipe" instead of leaderpipe or mouthpipe. That will automatically and immediately discredit him to some.

All kidding aside, he states that gap is not about resistance, but intonation. Which is why he states, at 1:42, that it is not important to know how big your gap is. I can buy that it is a tuning mechanism, because if it is true that notes are "born" in the leadipipe, then it makes a lot of sense that the distance between the player's chops (or maybe it's the venturi, or some point in the backbore), and the crucial spot in the leadpipe for each note is important.

I do have some issues with the vid though. When he mentions "resonance" as a factor, doesn't that depend on the physical space you're playing in? Maybe it can be detected independent of the room, I don't know. Blowing air on a trumpet and feeling for resistance or lack thereof doesn't seem like a good test to me, because it's not the same as playing the trumpet. And at the end of the vid he is selling a do-hickey after all.

But thinking that there needs to be a gap between the end of the mouthpiece and the beginning of the leadpipe, that it should be there, that it helps to have that gap itself, just doesn't make sense to me. The only reason there is a gap is so we can have removable mouthpieces.

And Schilke's paper states that there should be no gap, and that the thickness of the metal of the mouthpiece and the leadpipe should match. Now, it's not catastrophic to the gap theory to not have Renold Schilke on board. It would just be better if he was, I'm sure. (I realize that those who offer that Schilke recanted gaplessness are not stating his paper supports the gap theory).

Resonance is a function of reverberation of the wave within the instrument, and its metal components in sympathetic vibration. Thus, one would not perceive resonance as much in a dead room even though the instrument would be fully resonant within, meaning "in phase" with itself.

All Schilke mouthpieces I have and use with many Schilke instruments do indeed have some gap. I have been told that "zero gap" actually means <1/16" and not literally "no gap."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: