• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach Mouthpieces Old and New, Equivalents

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HarryRichardson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach mouthpieces seem to by much more consistent that they used to me. There's not a whole lot of difference between the Bach 3's and 5's on paper, but the rims feel much different, which I believe makes them feel very different. The Bach 3c that I played best on in college had a flatter rim with a sharper inner edge than many 3c's I see now. The closest I've seen to that mouthpiece is the Schilke Symphony Series M3. It has a larger throat and backbore (which my 3c did too), but it's one of my favorite versions of a 3c right now.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
dr_trumpet wrote:
dcjway wrote:
I thought Mr. Herseth got the job using a 7B, nice piece I have one that came with my 34 NY Bach.

There are a couple other threads on here that clarify that...the 7B rumor is incorrect, it was a NY Bach 7C.

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1216449

With all due respect Dr. Lilly, I think you might be wrong. I just searched all six pages of the topic thread you referenced to support your assertion (I used the "Find" feature of my Firefox Web Browser searching for each time "7C" appears). There are no claims, anywhere in that entire thread that Herseth played his audition with a 7C, let alone any references to real evidence supporting that idea. If you have some evidence you could refer us to that provides documentation of which mouthpiece Herseth actually used for his audition that would be great.

Though Herseth does not specifically state that he played his audition on a 7B, in the ITG Interview Article Adolph Herseth: In a Class by Himself this is what Herseth himself had to say about the mouthpieces he used in his first few years with the CSO:

https://s25.postimg.org/no9ewjtxr/Adolph_Herseth_7_B.jpg

Barring any evidence to the contrary, it seems to me that given the fact that Herseth preferred his 7B over his 7C, the 7B would be his choice when playing what he knew was going to be the most important audition of his life. Personally, I didn't audition for the CSO on my second favorite mouthpiece (but given that I lost, maybe I should have).

Cheers,

John Mohan

Thank you for your kind, and well-researched reply. I appreciate the thought, and can see how you might figure the 7B ended up in Mr. Herseth's horn, and rightly so.

I will say that if you compare the NY Bach 7C and the Monette B7H on the Kanstul Comparator, that they are exact. That gave me the idea that the more contemporary Mr. Herseth liked that NY 7C shape.

All my best

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbacon wrote:
dr_trumpet wrote:
dbacon wrote:
I wonder how many professional Orchestral Trumpet Players perform regularly with a Bach 7C?

It would be a matter of going around to their individual websites and seeing what they say, or someone on here knowing what they play and reporting as such.

And, most everyone we have discussed is playing or did play in a North American orchestra. The choices of mouthpiece and instrument are far more divergent when one considers the orchestras worldwide.

Al

Do you know of any?

http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/playerhorn/

Great place to start....many trumpeters have their own websites now as well, and information can be gathered there.
Daniel Barenboim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:
dbacon wrote:
dr_trumpet wrote:
dbacon wrote:
I wonder how many professional Orchestral Trumpet Players perform regularly with a Bach 7C?

It would be a matter of going around to their individual websites and seeing what they say, or someone on here knowing what they play and reporting as such.

And, most everyone we have discussed is playing or did play in a North American orchestra. The choices of mouthpiece and instrument are far more divergent when one considers the orchestras worldwide.

Al

Do you know of any?

http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/playerhorn/

Great place to start....many trumpeters have their own websites now as well, and information can be gathered there.

Thank God John Mohan made the list!

DB
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:
I have a NY 7C that has a flatter rim contour than the newer 7Cs, and is a bit larger in cup diameter and depth. These were confirmed with measurements and with the Kanstul Comparitor. To me, my NY 7C is very playable for me, and I like it. My newer 7Cs are not, and possess too sharp an inner edge for my liking. I can see why Mr. Herseth liked the NY 7C for orchestral playing as well, because it is very comfortable. This from a confirmed Monette B1-5M player who also likes a Bach 1C rim. Different eras of Bach mouthpieces are different in size, shape and even design. Usually....

The 5C is a great starting point for some of my students, and many stay there because the do not like the feel and shallower cup of a 3C. Some use a 5C for concert work, and a 3C for marching and jazz. If I recall correctly, Gerard Schwartz used a 5C as his mouthpiece when playing in the NY Philharmonic.

My trumpet teacher at Butler University was the principal of the ISO, and he played a 2 3/4C at the time. Not asked lately what he is playing, but I hear that Conrad Jones (new ISO principal) plays a 3C.

If it works, it works. Numbers and measurements matter less than the product. They get you a comparable standard between makers. But they do not tell you it will work, or it won't. The player makes that decision.

+1
There isn't any standard - it's what works, nothing more.
Conrad's a great player, no? Got to hear him when he was here in SF playing at the opera.
https://yourbrass.com/
Russell Iser

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are Bach Mt. Vernon considered superior to New York when it comes to mouthpieces?
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell Iser wrote:
Are Bach Mt. Vernon considered superior to New York when it comes to mouthpieces?

Not sure. I myself prefer my NY mouthpieces, but that to me is a personal preference and not a statement of quality.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:

+1
There isn't any standard - it's what works, nothing more.
Conrad's a great player, no? Got to hear him when he was here in SF playing at the opera.

Fantastic, and a super friendly guy as well!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: