• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

combo music/horn stand?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: combo music/horn stand? Reply with quote

I've been using a flimsy old metal folding music stand and Hamilton trumpet stand for years, but I'm playing with a big band now and everybody else is using a black orchestral stand- one guy has a combo, I thing it's a Hercules? it has pegs for putting his horn on it, too.

Are there any other brands that have this? Are they risky to use (stand gets bumped, horn falls over, too?)

I'm also interested in a solid black music stand, but one that folds up very small.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Desca Pro stand!

https://www.descahome.com/

To me, it seems needlessly dangerous to have your instrument attached to music stands, which are extremely easy to bump.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:

To me, it seems needlessly dangerous to have your instrument attached to music stands, which are extremely easy to bump.

Agreed, IMO same goes for any sort of horn stand/mike stand combo. I've had both mike and music stands get clobbered during a gig, sometimes by a dancing club patron, sometimes an overly enthusiastic singer.

Brad
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wenger Gig Stand - solid, holds pleanty of weight, and adjusts very low to high. The down side is that it doesn't fold down very much-but worth it to me.

And for trumpet stands, K&M in-bell stands.. solid and low (low center of gravity). These travel in the bell, but I don't leave them long and they tend to trap moisture in the instrument while stored.

The issues I've had with Hercules triple is they are tall-ish and you're locked into the footprint-not always the best in tight settings.
The Hercules Travel-lite is pretty good, low profile and all, but I find they fit fewer trumets - my Bach Commercial wobbles some on these.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting specific:
I generally don't use a music stand these days; my regular band does everything from memory (certainly not always the best idea, but I don't run the band). When I did/do use charts on gigs, I liked the K&M, it has a solid desk that folds down fairly small. Damn thing will bite your fingers in the hinges if you're not careful though.

Honestly, I've never found a horn stand I really like. I use the five leg K&M, it's pretty stable but that low center of gravity also puts the bell pretty close to the floor, easy for someone not watching where they are walking to step on it. Which is partially why I never leave the horn on the stand unattended. The Hercules is higher, but only three legs makes it a bit easier to tip.

IMO, something like the Hercules with FIVE legs might work well, but the footprint and weight might be a factor.

Brad
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Manhasset Voyager stand and a Hercules mute holder.

Regarding trumpet stands, I have used both the inside the bell K&M stand and a Hamilton stand - putting my horn back in the case on breaks - and have never had a problem.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I love my Desca Pro stand!

https://www.descahome.com/

Wow, that's an impressive stand. It's like he figured out all the problems we usually have with music stands and corrected them. I've actually owned a couple of stands in that configuration, but they were bulkier and not as well made. Next time I get a steady gig where we are using a heavier book, I'm getting this stand! Thanks for sharing the link:-)
Www.LexSamu.com
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ljazztrm wrote:

Wow, that's an impressive stand. It's like he figured out all the problems we usually have with music stands and corrected them. I've actually owned a couple of stands in that configuration, but they were bulkier and not as well made... Next time I get a steady gig where we are using a heavier book, I'm getting this stand! Thanks for sharing the link:-)

I used to have one but found it too light and flimsy. I especially didn't like the legs. YMMV.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
ljazztrm wrote:

Wow, that's an impressive stand. It's like he figured out all the problems we usually have with music stands and corrected them. I've actually owned a couple of stands in that configuration, but they were bulkier and not as well made... Next time I get a steady gig where we are using a heavier book, I'm getting this stand! Thanks for sharing the link:-)

I used to have one but found it too light and flimsy. I especially didn't like the legs. YMMV.

Interesting - I use it on my jazz gigs and I have a 2" binder absolutely full to overflowing with music and the stand handles it just fine. It's a very heavy book. I've never had any problem with it, and I am tall so I have the stand extended to its maximum height and have found it quite stable.

Mine works so well, basically everyone that's ever seen mine in action buys one for themselves!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: