• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Struggling with pedal C

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Struggling with pedal C Reply with quote

I'm working on pedal tones & slurs, trying to get rid of the transition in partials, for example, middle C to pedal C. I can only play pedal C with 1-2-3 or 2-3 fingering, if I try to play it open, at best it comes out as a Bb, and I can only lip it up to about a B before the break occurs, the buzz stops. my instructor said try working down from middle C, playing each note open- I get stuck around F# that way.

What's the trick? I've been at it for a couple of weeks, not getting anywhere.
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Struggling with pedal C Reply with quote

BGinNJ wrote:
I'm working on pedal tones & slurs, trying to get rid of the transition in partials, for example, middle C to pedal C. I can only play pedal C with 1-2-3 or 2-3 fingering, if I try to play it open, at best it comes out as a Bb, and I can only lip it up to about a B before the break occurs, the buzz stops. my instructor said try working down from middle C, playing each note open- I get stuck around F# that way.

There are some "tricks" that can be used to play pedal C in tune. One trick is to use a mute to add resistance to the horn, like a silent brass not connected to the ear phones, i have found that it helps to get the "feel" for the note, you then must learn to transition to playing it with out the mute. Another "trick" is to use a V shaped mouthpiece, like a curry TC or TF, both make playing pedal C in tune much, much easier, but they make playing pedal F to pedal C# more difficult. Eventually you can transition to your normal cup mouthpiece, after you have the feel, Another "trick" is to use the air from your throat more efficiently. Lots of air coming from a wide open throat helps pedal C to play in tune. say "HOE" as you try to play the note using lots of air.

Ofcourse after you start to feel what an in tune pedal C feels like the real "trick" is to play it without moving your chops too much to compensate.

I won't go into if you should play them or not, thats been beaten to death in TH a million times.

Those are some of the "tricks" that helped me play it in tune anyway!

good luck !

regards,

tom

Last edited by deleted_user_680e93b on Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to the tubing diameter dimensions of a Bb trumpet or Cornet, the Pedal C will slot approximately one and a half steps low (it'll sound around an A). It can be forced into tune (or closer to it in your case). While it can be forced all the way up to the C pitch, it's usually best not to try to at first. If you force it up the wrong way (over-tightening your lips and creating a thin, buzzy sound) it'll do more harm than good. The proper way to get it into tune is to put a lot of air through the horn and use the air properly to move it up in pitch. This takes time (as in months or even years for some). And again, for what we want the Pedal Notes to do for us (help correct embouchure deficiencies, learn to blow while staying relaxed, develop more control over the instrument, etc.) there's no need to force the Pedal C through Pedal Gb into pitch (though as you get down toward the Pedal Gb the notes get easier to play closer and closer to the correct pitch). Just let them lay flat and strive to get a big, full sound on them.

Once you get down to the Double Pedal F you'll find it and the notes below it very easy to play in tune (these notes have no slot as they are below the fundamental tones of each valve position). Play all pedal and double pedal notes with the same fingering as the lowest normal octave on the trumpet.

Note that if you play a Pedal C on a Flugelhorn it'll play right in pitch. This is due to the greater difference in the ratio of the leadpipe diameter to the bell tubing diameter. Pedal C also plays in pitch on a French Horn, Tuba or a Bass Trombone for the same reason.

The way Claude Gordon taught us to play Pedal Notes and use them for development is the best way to learn and use them. His method book Systematic Approach to Daily Practice for Trumpet and his short text book Brass Playing Is No Harder Than Deep Breathing contain excellent descriptions of the pedal register and instructions on how to use that register correctly.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Struggling with pedal C Reply with quote

BGinNJ wrote:

Don't sweat it. For some pedals work well, others they tear down more than build. Probably ask the Gordon guys if you wanna pursue them. I don't find them helpful, for me and my embouchure. Double pedals a la Callet do much more good, for me.

Best,
Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can only play pedal C with 1-2-3 or 2-3 fingering,

That is not playing the resonance of the pedal. So not the true pedal.

Quote:
if I try to play it open, at best it comes out as a Bb, and I can only lip it up to about a B before the break occurs, the buzz stops.

That is perfectly fine, The pedal resonance is naturally flat on its pitch center, and you can get benefits from that. Over time you may be able to raise the pitch more. If not, don't worry about it.

Be careful not to play the pedals too loud or "raucous" or with excessive air flow. They are more beneficial when played controlled, even softly. With as pleasing a tone as you can play them.

Last edited by kalijah on Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rank this or anything related to pedal tones close to the bottom of the list of things to work on or be concerned about.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having taken a lesson with a major symphony principal that advocated pedal note practice, I expressed the same concern: that I can't get that resonant pedal C played open. He said not to worry about it, because neither could he. That was all I needed to hear to stop worrying about it.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Struggling with pedal C Reply with quote

bach_again wrote:

Don't sweat it. For some pedals work well, others they tear down more than build. Probably ask the Gordon guys if you wanna pursue them. I don't find them helpful, for me and my embouchure. Double pedals a la Callet do much more good, for me.

Best,
Mike

I just want to echo this...

I don't find pedals useful, I know people who are prepare to swear that they do - either way, if you want to find the best ways to practice them (be most likely to benefit) it makes sense to talk to teachers of the schools that advocate them.
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've dabbled with bigger mouthpieces (5C, 1D) but that's not much help (or really the solution). I find I do about as well with a Warburton 4SV cup, though it's a little fussier from middle C to low F#.

I've tried the Systematic Approach in the past, so playing pedals isn't new to me. What my instructor is leading me to do with slurring them is to eliminate the break between partials, which I've already found works great in the upper register.

I like the more resistance, more air ideas, I'll give those a try.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good discussion here a while back about hitting the open G below pedal C and then working the pitch up. i am giving this approach a go. the key is to be very patient and take plenty of sessions getting the pitch raised. your lips and mental feedback cycle will do this for you.
two weeks is a good start. keep with it for the duration.
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some info here might help.

Link

Best, Jon

Remember this is supposed to be fun.
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petal C comes and goes. Blow it up to pitch. It will still sound different. No biggie.

Petals are great for relaxing the lips, cleaning up the buzz after hard playing. I do them but do not really see how they relate to high notes. They are low notes.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Struggling with pedal C Reply with quote

BGinNJ wrote:

The trick is to go back to the practice room, not expecting a fast solution, or a 'trick' to get by...

Cheers

Andy
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ snarky, thanks for that. Practicing more and harder is not the answer if YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.

I appreciate the informative answers about the natural pitch of that note- I did find using a mute brought it on pitch, and helped a bit with the break going to that partial, which is what I'm really working on more than the pedal note itself.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Struggling with pedal C Reply with quote

BGinNJ wrote:

To me pedal C number 1 is a "fake" tone and rather useless. Double pedal C is an altogether different story - agree with Bach again! Lots of threads on the topic. Why pedals at all? The answer is that, in my humble view, double pedals in combination with the so called roll ins are very helpful in developing a very relaxed and flexible embouchure. Period
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: