• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

La Fiesta - practice session

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: La Fiesta - practice session Reply with quote

La Fiesta - Maynard Ferguson 🎺3 takes of the same intro lick. - after finding this chart it seemed like a fun one to check out today.

There was a thread speaking about lead players. I thought of Maynard after that and remembered that I had this chart somewhere. Seemed like a fun one to work on.

Maynard made it seem easy. Who knows how long it will take to get consistent but these are 3 of 7 run throughs I did a little bit ago.

He left us so much good music. Wish we could still go hear him play.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWFQpYvO5xiZmyIP3--q5-JeyJbili0wi
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: La Fiesta - practice session Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
La Fiesta - Maynard Ferguson 🎺3 takes of the same intro lick. - after finding this chart it seemed like a fun one to check out today.

There was a thread speaking about lead players. I thought of Maynard after that and remembered that I had this chart somewhere. Seemed like a fun one to work on.

Maynard made it seem easy. Who knows how long it will take to get consistent but these are 3 of 7 run throughs I did a little bit ago.

He left us so much good music. Wish we could still go hear him play.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWFQpYvO5xiZmyIP3--q5-JeyJbili0wi

Start a full octave lower. Seriously. Then gradually begin transposing the line up a minor third. Never ascending until eveything sounds smooth all the way through the line.

You've got the capacity to blow those high notes but you're jamming and they're not musical. Don't take it personally but if you dont start developing that feeling of control? The edge and squeakiness apparent in your tone will become habit and difficult to break out of.

Also, the advice to "take it up a minor third" comes from Maynard himself. The goal is to play with a romantic sound. What you're displaying is not romantic but edginess. That wont sell to an aufience.

Make every note sound like 500 dollars first. Then advance a little higher in register. I know it took some guts to put that video out here. And I appreciate that. Next? Do yourself a favor and refuse to allow yourself to produce that strident edge. Ever!

Lest it becomes permsnent. Sadly I know a fair amount of trumpet players who are eterally stuck with that edgy tone. They've been playing that way for so long. No body has corrected them and now this is the only tone that they can produce...

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionel - thank you for that. That will be the goal moving forward.

You are speaking to the needs of a person wanting to develop. I appreciate it. As a person who wants to improve it is a fine balance with putting a bad recording up on the web yet finding a way to get feedback from an audience of knowledgeable peers now that I am not in school.

There is plenty missing from my skill set but that advice is what I think I needed to start incorporating to get where I want to be.

Thank you again for the honest and helpful feedback.
Paladin53

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionel,
That's good advice and very nicely done.
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
Lionel - thank you for that. That will be the goal moving forward.

You are speaking to the needs of a person wanting to develop. I appreciate it. As a person who wants to improve it is a fine balance with putting a bad recording up on the web yet finding a way to get feedback from an audience of knowledgeable peers now that I am not in school.

There is plenty missing from my skill set but that advice is what I think I needed to start incorporating to get where I want to be.

Thank you again for the honest and helpful feedback.

Glad you took it well. Perhaps I should have accentuated the positive first. Shaft your main positives are,

A. You're able to hit high notes. Granted they could use some development but you do have the high F#. You can make a lead player out of that. Most trumpet players do not have that note.
B. You're willing to put yourself out there. Another admirable quality. Most trumpet players lack the guts to put their best foot foward, accept the blow-back and continue on.
C. You display the perseverance necessary.

Not meaning to sound cocky here Shaft but in orfer to make a certain point Ive gotta mention something a little (not sure of the spelling either lol) "self aggrandizing". In other words I truly believe thatt I could fix anyone who wanted to know what they must do to play solid notes above the high D. Meaning those notes above and imcluding the second ledger line high D. The most common but devastating cut-off tone on the horn. In fact Ive more or less cured the ten to a dozen guys who listened to me and incorporated my ideas. Umfortunately most trumpet players will not take the time nor make the effort necessary to fix themselves.

And Ive long pondered this matter. Okay I realize that a video would greatly enhance my credentials. And success at communicating. That along with a dedicated Youtube channel. And I apologize for the delay as I just went on social security this year so $'s are a little scarce right now. But I'm gonna do something about this. Promise.

Regardless what I have noticed is that even when confronted with the provable cure for all of their upper register problems? Probably close to half of these trumpet players will refuse to make the minimal adjustments to their blow.

Puzzled as to why my efforts were often in vain so just a few years ago I decided to step back away from my previous efforts of "trying to fix everyone". And then look at the matter more from a psychological or emotionsl level. So recently it dawned on me that while certain physical matterd could technically fix all or most all trumpet players it dawned on me that it is the trumpet player's mind which needs to be reached.

That even when the exact tools of knowledge are given to an apparently aspiring high note trumpet player? He is just as likely to refuse these gifts as he is to accept them and fly off to higher and higher heights.

I then concluded that the missing ingredient within thos group was the element of courage. Shaft apparently has this courage. We know this because he has bravely put himself out there in the Youtube limelight. For all to see and hear.

My estimate is that with continued perseverance and maybe some equipment changes he could it off within a couple years. I'm always suspicious of inadequate mouthpiece selections but thus I show my bias.. As a I could be wrong. Yet there are just so many advantages in mouthiece design. Esp as one is just beginning to learn the upper register.

Keep up the good work Shaft but allow me two other suggestions.

1. Regardless of what mouthpiece you use? Practice fundamentals a lot

2. Take care not to get cocky. I havent noticed this in you yet. But there exists a fine line between insecurity and cocksure-ness. We need our egos but they can be a double edged sword. As the ego rrepresents both everythong good in us. As well aa everything rotten.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: