• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New to me... 1941 Martin Committee Handcraft (first post)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
latestart

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: New to me... 1941 Martin Committee Handcraft (first post) Reply with quote

Hi all;

I have been a 'lurker' periodically for a few years. I have been exploring the idea of learning and decided to buy a vintage horn that would hopefully be a fun instrument and possible to sell at or near the purchase price if I don't fall in love with the instrument.

I think I have had some good shopping fortune worth sharing. I just purchased a Martin Committee, serial 137XXX, made 1940. It is medium bore (has a #2) has had a re-lacquer and has some damage on the leadpipe that will need repaired. The seller was a pawn shop and they reported that it had 'been on the back shelf for several years'. Seller said valves move freely. Since I was buying remote I made a low-ball offer and negotiated a price less than 40-50% of what I see them trade for on eBay. Upon closer examination and research, it is a handcraft, which was not discussed when we were negotiating, so a nice bonus.

It's on it's way so I only have the seller's pictures which are crappy. I plan to find the right shop to do some restoration once I can evaluate the condition. Current thought is mechanical restoration and 'raw' since the lacquer is not original and the leadpipe will need work. Goal is to make it play a well as possible and not harm the value during my custodianship.

Comments welcome. As stated at the top, I am not very knowledgeable, so any mis-statements are just lack of knowledge, not expressions of opinion. But I am pretty excited to go on a journey with this horn.
Def Trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice purchase!
ACB 3CS
Zman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice score. If you need any assistance with information on your new horn let me know.
HC Committee #2
HC Imperial #3 LB & #4 XL Bore
Deluxe Committee Bb, C & Eb
Taylor Chicago II Lite
Yamaha 8335LA

www.thebrasscellar.com
www.facebook.com/thebrasscellar
www.youtube.com/channel/UCZk1sIuyVsQzrbsl7HfIfKw/
Bert Falcone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had 2 handcraft Committee horns restored by Josh Landress out of NYC. His is an artist and can bring this horn back to life for you. Check out his website.
www.jlandressbrass.com
1940 NY Bach ML
1945 French Besson Meha
1978 Benge 1X
1950 Martin C
2008 Selmer Concept Flugel
dcjway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie Melk of Charlies Brass Works has done some horns for me and he is really good too.
1935 NY Bach 26-59 silver plate
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

latestart,

There are a few places you can send your Martin to get it lovingly restored. Josh Landress is certainly one. Robb Stewart in Arcadia, Southern California, is another. You might also call the Kanstul factory. They are working on a medium bore version of their 1603 and might have the tooling for the lead pipe made by now. Their restorations have been highly respected over the years. I see no reason that that would have changed now that Zig has passed. A call would find out.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
latestart

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the great ideas!

When I get it in my hands next week I will first a local player test it and a local shop give feedback. Afterwards i'll check out the people above. I did talk to Charlie today - very nice guy and helpful.

I did have feedback that you can have the bell re-engraved. Mine is faint from buffing and a poor lacquer job. I will have all of the mechanical wrongs made right. Not feeling inclined to re-lacquer.

Any reason NOT to go raw and have the bell re-etched as part of the restoration?

Thanks again for kind words and feedback.
dcjway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lacquer or raw is personal preference, as for fixing the engraving I have had that done and have been very happy with it. Google "Artistic Engraving" she does great work and doesn't charge an arm and a leg.
latestart

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trumpet is lacking a proper case. Is it worthwhile to pursue a vintage Martin case? I have seen a few for over $300 and not in great condition.

Recommendation for a good modern case would be helpful. This trumpet will not be exposed to 'hard travel' so it doesn't need to be overly protective, just good for in-house and to/from lessons. Will any vintage Martin case work?
dcjway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Shires came with a Pro-Pac case that's nice and small, and even though I have the original case for my old Bach I keep it in a Torpedo bag If it were me I'd spend the $300 on a Torpedo bag and pass on the old moldy one.

Last edited by dcjway on Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the motion to get a torpedobag! They are the bomb!

The only reason to buy a matching vintage case for your trumpet would be for collectibility. Beyond that, they can't even compare to today's technology and improvements in design.

Torpedo bags seems to be having a 20% off sale right now, which puts the price around $180
dcjway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, maybe I should get another one, nothing like a case that can hold a car up and not damage the horn inside. I think I need one for my Committee.
latestart

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Question #2 Reply with quote

As mentioned in my OP, this horn has bell damage, multiple patches that were inexpertly applied.

In sharing pictures with Kanstul they suggested that a bell replacement might be the best restoration path. They have the Martin Bell they have designed for the 1603 which is a committee replica. Any idea on how that might impact sound? The cost is reasonable.

Goal is to get to great playing condition, I am not going to lose sleep over 100% originality given the condition it is in now.

Pictures of damage:

DSC09927 by J Murray, on Flickr

DSC09928 by J Murray, on Flickr

DSC09948 by J Murray, on Flickr

DSC09914 by J Murray, on Flickr

Thanks
Wondra
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are ever going to sell it, you are far better off keeping the horn original. Martin Handcraft Committees are rare and collectible. If you change the bell you've changed the horn and will limit any future interest in it. People like Josh Landress and Robb Stewart can fix that bell no problem. They both have restored horns in far worse condition and made then beautiful and playable again.

If you intend to keep the horn, or are not bothered by lower resale value, go for the Kanstul bell. It will be a less expensive way to make the horn playable, assuming the rest of the horn is in good shape.

Don't make me get the flying monkeys...
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
dcjway posted:

If it were me I'd spend the $300 on a Torpedo bag

+1

I've got one and another on the way.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: