• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Anybody play with earplug plugs?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Anybody play with earplug plugs? Reply with quote

I just finished two performances in a 30 piece orchestra and 40 member choir show.

Due to the overall volume, and in particular the trombones behind me, my ears were maxing out.

So I dug out my custom fit musician's ear plugs. They have 25dB filters.

Since I don't practice or play with them the experience was interesting. I sounded like I was playing with a cup mute. But I could really focus on my note attacks and pitch.

However, my counting went out the window and the music was very rhythmically challenging, so I played the performances without them.

Has anybody tried lesser dB filters? Or different level filters in each ear?
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody play with earplug plugs? Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
I just finished two performances in a 30 piece orchestra and 40 member choir show.
Due to the overall volume, and in particular the trombones behind me, my ears were maxing out.

So I dug out my custom fit musician's ear plugs. They have 25dB filters.

Since I don't practice or play with them the experience was interesting. I sounded like I was playing with a cup mute. But I could really focus on my note attacks and pitch.

However, my counting went out the window and the music was very rhythmically challenging, so I played the performances without them.

Has anybody tried lesser dB filters? Or different level filters in each ear?

Its hardly a high tech solution Rusty, but back in the day I always stuck some portion of tissue paper in my ear. I roll up about 2/3rds of 2 ply 4 x 4 inch section of toilet paper. One crumpled section up for each ear. Experimentation will provide best results.

Granted its not as scientific as some solutions but it does have its advantages. As the tissue paper allows more rhythmic and other volume through the ears. Easier to hear where you are in the piece.

Been my answer since 1976.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried these?

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=etymonic+earplugs&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=174244429573&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5762483543446165001&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032179&hvtargid=kwd-104327321487&ref=pd_sl_9rfirr1489_e

(Edit: Wow, that's about the longest URL I've ever seen!)
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1jazzyalex wrote:
Have you tried these?

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=etymonic+earplugs&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=174244429573&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5762483543446165001&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032179&hvtargid=kwd-104327321487&ref=pd_sl_9rfirr1489_e

Yes quite long😏but they do sell the Adaptive plugs too, rather costly but function well. Electronically adjusting the dampening, max 25 dB down
(if level 100, they let you take in 75).
Earlier I used custom made earmolds dampening 25 but as you write, sometimes the rhythm section seems to disappear.
Works for me, although sometimes the tinnitus gets a bit worse. At occassions like that I keep the old ones. But these adaptive ones permits one to take in the orchestral sounds much more&better.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to spend quite a bit of time on shooting ranges. My preference in earplugs were those cheap blue "Silencio" brand jobs.

The shooting hobby has spawned a number of interesting things to try, from the "Hunter's Ear" to custom fitted sculptures of, well, your ear. It can't hurt to look into some of these, bands or the B.A.R. they can all get loud.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1jazzyalex wrote:
Have you tried these?

Etymonic custom fit earplugs

(here is a shorter version of the same url. )

Mine are branded differently but use the Etymonic filters.

I am really looking for whether people have tried different filters with this type of plug. They make 9, 15 and 15 dB filters, but they cost $27 per ear and before purchasing a couple and trying them I was hoping to get input from people who have used them.

re other options: Many years ago I played in an 8 piece dance band and wore the shooting ear plugs that look like Christmas trees. They seemed to take the edge off the major noises.

Please note, hearing protection is a serious concern, so I don't care if this thread discusses other options. Not that it matters what the OP intended.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play all loud gigs with earplugs in - I'm trying to save whatever hearing I have left! Guitar players, drummers, and keyboard players can all go deaf if they want. I'm not having it any more.

You really have to practice playing with plugs in. However, once you get used to it, it's just like playing open. You really just have to be careful not to overblow because you can't hear yourself as well.

I just use the cheap ones you get in jars of 100. They're fine.

Once you get used to it, you'll never go back! Your hearing is too important!
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
1jazzyalex wrote:
Have you tried these?

Etymonic custom fit earplugs

(here is a shorter version of the same url. )

Mine are branded differently but use the Etymonic filters.

I am really looking for whether people have tried different filters with this type of plug. They make 9, 15 and 15 dB filters, but they cost $27 per ear and before purchasing a couple and trying them I was hoping to get input from people who have used them.

re other options: Many years ago I played in an 8 piece dance band and wore the shooting ear plugs that look like Christmas trees. They seemed to take the edge off the major noises.

Please note, hearing protection is a serious concern, so I don't care if this thread discusses other options. Not that it matters what the OP intended.

I started with simple foam plugs but after 20 years I found they did not help enough hence the custom molded ones. Started with 9 dB but later examination showed that this was not sufficient - typical noise related damages according to the MD (who played in a big band himself). So 15 and that wasn't enough either so eventually 25dB. Which of course wasn't easy at all but finally I mastered this dampening ( in very quite and delicate parts I eased one of them just a little).
The bottom line is that you will have to test what noise causes what impact on your hearing. Go examine your ears to get a baseline;watch out for signs of tinnitus etc. No easy solution possible if you really want to preserve your ears!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymor,

It sounds like you have used different level filters in your molded plugs. If you remember how big a difference to the levels make?
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old set of Westone custom-molded musicians earplugs that originally came with three sets of button-shaped "attenuators." The first loud gig I played with them, I used the -25dB attenuators and ended up playing the gig without the earplugs -- I couldn't hear enough of what was going on around me to function comfortably. I switched to the -15dB attenuators and they've been in the earplugs ever since.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nieuwguyski wrote:
I have an old set of Westone custom-molded musicians earplugs that originally came with three sets of button-shaped "attenuators." The first loud gig I played with them, I used the -25dB attenuators and ended up playing the gig without the earplugs -- I couldn't hear enough of what was going on around me to function comfortably. I switched to the -15dB attenuators and they've been in the earplugs ever since.

Thanks. It sounds like I should try the -15 dB filters. My Westone earplugs only came with the -25 dB and solid attenuators.
Anthony Miller

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you can buy in the States (they are available UK and EU) - excellent value and 3 filters. They work well.
Alpine Hearing Protection
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Seymor,

It sounds like you have used different level filters in your molded plugs. If you remember how big a difference to the levels make?

Generally speaking you tend to loose the higher frequencies first while increasing the dampening; these custom made ear molds were designed to preserve the balance of the "spectrum" but I what I lost was mostly the verbal commentaries of the conductor(as well as all these typical jokes always flying around). 15 was rather OK but 25 was more of a challenge music-wise.
Took me a year to master. But your hear "through your scull" besides the ears!
I never had any problems with tuning at all.
But again, bottom line this is personal! My hearing impairment, the different levels are mine, your "set up" might differ. I go check my ears every other year or so (my profession is built on listening, I have modern hearing aids). My indicator today of excess noise levels is the tinnitus. If getting stronger=too loud.
The etymotic adaptive solved these problems, admittedly costly but if music is such a great part of ones life.....In church concerts with the brass band I bring the old molds....lLast concert peaked at 110 dB
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: