• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tense Chest and Abdomen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YoungMW

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Tense Chest and Abdomen Reply with quote

Every time I play, I feel really tense in my body. I have tried for a couple weeks doing Breathing Gym, but I gain all that tension back when I pick up the horn. Are there any specific exercises that I could do to relieve this tension when I play?
Sometimes I will feel really relaxed and my sound rings, but that feeling is usually short lived. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-MW-
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try buzzing the mouthpiece alone. Fold a napkin or paper towel over the end, not closing it off completely, leave a little space - you just want to make it have about the same resistance at the horn. And catch the spit.

It's really hard to cram the mouthpiece into your face, you'll feel silly doing it. Buzzing the mouthpiece alone, you can work on being relaxed. You could try breathing really relaxedly, and "snoring", that is, buzzing a lazy buzz into the mouthpiece and seeing how relaxed you can be.

Keep in mind Claude Gordon was always talking about keeping the chest up, so you don't want to be a slouching, droopy-shouldered blob.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
there is not enough elements in your description to give you appropriated answers, but like you live in NM, i'd suggest you to have lessons with Bobby Shew
best
dcjway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have similar issues, I tense up when I go above the staff, when playing slurs in the Colin book and during lessons. I have a good teacher (Jeff Purtle) and he's giving me good feedback to help me work through my playing issues. JVL's suggestion sounds like a good idea, we all need help along the journey.
1935 NY Bach 26-59 silver plate
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what kind of physical shape you're in, but my upper body tension issues disappeared entirely when I 1) quit smoking and 2) got in great shape.

P90X changed my life!

Solid core strength, cardiovascular fitness (great for breath control), and a ripped upper body will likely help eliminate those issues. They certainly did for me!

If you're already fit, then please disregard the above.

Cheers!
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply take a breath like you are going to say something to a person sitting next to you and then play. Just that much, a relaxed conversational breath. No cares or concerns and play. No lift this or do that. Breath in to say hello to your friend, put the horn on your chops and play hello.

Check out 2:40 in this video. Conversational breath. Then relaxed controled exhale.

Link

Best, Jon

Remember this is supposed to be fun.
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to use a dollar store pinwheel. Practice making it spin. Don't worry about making it spin really fast or slow or making it spin from a long ways away; just hold it up and make it spin with your air. Practice back and forth with the horn, imagining the spinning pinwheel while you play. If you hold the wheel up while you play, it makes it easier to imagine spinning it.

You can try the same thing with a piece of paper. Practice making it flap in the wind. Don't worry about distance or making the paper flap hard, just move it easily.

Listen to Bill Fielder here starting at 2:07:

Link
Arjuna
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Tense Chest and Abdomen Reply with quote

Harry James is great to watch for how to breathe naturally. There is a saying of breath like a baby. I like the syllables "O" on the inhalation and "Hoo" on the exhalation which is really in alignment with Bill Fielders concept. All great trumpet players and artists are very natural with their breathing. The concept of approaching the breathing like a world class opera singer is desirable. The entire body is the instrument and the trumpet is an extension of that instument. Choose equipment that allows you to play with the most resonant sound possible.

YoungMW wrote:
Every time I play, I feel really tense in my body. I have tried for a couple weeks doing Breathing Gym, but I gain all that tension back when I pick up the horn. Are there any specific exercises that I could do to relieve this tension when I play?
Sometimes I will feel really relaxed and my sound rings, but that feeling is usually short lived. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-MW-
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure that you're not pausing slightly between inhalation and the blow. Hesitation will cause tension and may greatly reduce the quality of your tone.

Alan
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone here will do their best to give you what they IMAGINE is the issue. I can do the same, but I don't KNOW what the issue is that h]leads to this 'tense body'.

Your only course of action, if you really wish to sort this out s to get a good private trumpet teacher who can help you. anything less is just asking to go down a different path and end up with even more issues.

cheers

Andy
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me like you are stoked up.

When humans developed they developed the fight or flight syndrome. When facing danger adrenalin is released and this stokes up the body ready for action to face that sabre toothed tiger or run like blazes to get away.

Sadly sabre toothed tigers no longer exist but the fight or flight syndrome does.

You face fear when you play, the fear is that of failure, your sabre toothed tiger is the performance and you get an adrenalin rush when you pick up the horn and face a performance.

Fighters get this when going into battle and when we pick up the horn to perform we go into battle too. Fighters cannot stop this adrenalin rush but they can cope with it and we must too. Coping with it is by practice and familiarity so that the sabre toothed tiger eventually becomes a pussycat.

Practice your ass off perform your ass off. Tame that tiger.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice in this thread so far. Also, take a look at your posture. If your posture is bad, then you'll tense up. Sit up or stand straight, don't slouch, and make sure your head isn't stretched forward, but is back so your neck doesn't have to tense up to hold your head in place. Keep your trumpet at a consistent horn angle that works with your embouchure. If sitting, make sure the seat is at a good height for you and your feet are planted on the floor, not curled around the seat legs. I agree that a good teacher could help with this, but you can also help yourself with simple posture guidelines.

Also, rest frequently while practicing. Not only good for the chops, but gives you a chance to stretch and stay loose.
Piccolo Stomvi
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Tense Chest and Abdomen Reply with quote

Sometimes I will feel really relaxed and my sound rings, but that feeling is usually short lived.

-MW-[/quote]

We often get turned around with cause and effect. Rather than trying to relax to produce that sound, try producing that sound so you relax.

Keep focused on that sound. It is there; stored in your imagination.
Arjuna
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The embouchure is a sympathetic response to the air.
When the approach is correct the music will naturally come.
Trompetolero

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this kind of problems for years. Without knowing how your shape or playing habits are, I'd suggest that you try this: Take a piece, etude or exercise in the most comforable range. Inhale as easily as possible (don't fill up if it doesn't feel relaxed) and play with that one breath until youˋre completely empty. Really empty. Uncomfortably empty. Repeat this a few times.
When I started doing this, I felt like my body taught himself an easier way of playing - which doesn't include tightening up. After exhaling to the absolute limit, your inhalation should be natural. If your body rediscovers an easier, more natural way of doing things, it will like it and learn it easily. This also improved my efficiency and breath control. And I don't think this can do you any harm.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good suggestions here something is bound to resonate with you.
make sure your posture is in line, chest up, shoulders back, take a deep breath.
the bobby shew suggestion is a home run. people like that see the multitude of issues and will start you out with what you can handle. it will be like seeing the divine.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=88727&highlight=bubbles
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Tense Chest and Abdomen Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
Sometimes I will feel really relaxed and my sound rings, but that feeling is usually short lived.

-MW-

We often get turned around with cause and effect. Rather than trying to relax to produce that sound, try producing that sound so you relax.

Keep focused on that sound. It is there; stored in your imagination.[/quote]

This. You absolutely have to hear the sound in your mind's ear that you want to produce before you ever try to make it. If you're chasing your sound- hearing it, then trying to improve it as you go, you'll always be severely disappointed in the results.

If you don't already have that sound in your head, you need to do a lot of listening. For me, hearing a live performer was always more affective.
i was so fortunate to be able to sit in with some fantastic players when I was a kid. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: