• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Age of horns

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetguy74

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Age of horns Reply with quote

What's everyone's consensus on how long a well-kept horn can last without major overhaul work? I'm always concerned buying used horns about their age.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Age of horns Reply with quote

Trumpetguy74 wrote:
What's everyone's consensus on how long a well-kept horn can last without major overhaul work? I'm always concerned buying used horns about their age.

Depends on what you do with it. A weekend warrior's well cared for horn will last forever.

If you are a pro playing an average of 6 hours a day, performance and practicing, less.

Care to add any details on your expected usage to the question?
Shipham_Player
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fall into the weekend warrior category now and my 64 Olds Recording is still absolutely fabulous to play.

It looks like it's gone 10 rounds but sound wise it's gorgeous.

No reason it won't last another 20 years providing I get it serviced and cleaned regularly.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main concern with buying an old trumpet is the condition of the valves. Coming in a close second is how well it was maintained and if there's any red rot on it. If the valves show little wear and the original lacquer is mostly intact with no evidence of red rot visible, and the horn isn't beat-up, it's a pretty safe buy. Of course, it should be an instrument with a good reputation and not some unknown brand from eastern Europe...
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Age of horns Reply with quote

Hello all,
As long as red rot is at the minimum and that the valves don't have plating loss and are leaking, old horns should last a long time. My Olds Special from 47-48 has just now started to show valve wear. But they work great and it does not leak much.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought a lot of Buescher horns. Most have needed valve rebuilds because they were loved to death.

I prefer that to a crappy horn with pristine valves.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I inherited a 1940s French Besson Meha trumpet and a 1950s Holton Super Collegiate cornet. Both had been played regularly for 50+ years.

Both horns were still very "playable," but they needed to have the valves replated in order for them to be reliably usable, such as in a performance setting. Having the valves replated is fairly expensive -- around $450 per horn if I recall correctly (which might have included some minor dent removal as well).

So, how long a horn "lasts" depends in part on what you want to use it for. If you simply want to play and enjoy it, and are willing to tolerate a valve hanging on occasion then you probably won't have to worry about overhaul costs. If you want to perform with the horn then you might need pay more to overhaul the horn than the price you paid for it....
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my Lawler TL5-1A since 2004 and I play it professional every day , I have send it two times to Schagerl shop for lead pipe change and silver plating the first time and for tuning slide crook change the second .
I still use it as my main horn and is in great condition , as mentioned if you are a occasional player and you clean and care your horns right it last for ever but if you use it in dayly basis you need a good service from time to time.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: