• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Rotary trumpet information wanted

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Rotary trumpet information wanted Reply with quote

I acquired a rotary Bb trumpet recently and hope someone in the TH world might have some background information on it. The emblem on the bell states:
"CHR. HERMANN GLASEL
PLAUEN i.v.
FRIEDRICHSTR. 17

My research on the web didn't turn up an exact name match and I'd be grateful for any info.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Is it not Basel? There is a Friedrichstrass in Basel...and a Plauen in Germany...
Something like the Paris/Chateau-Thierry for Couesnon?
Regards
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi tony

there is in fact a Friederichstrasse in Plauen germany. right in the center of town.

my guess is that that your horn was made during the East German days.
seeing the proximity to the former Czechoslovakia and their craft of rotaries it makes sense.

now to dig around to find info on the company........

ron
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Rotary trumpet information wanted Reply with quote

I had found the address in Plauen, Germany but nothing on this maker. It certainly seems to be pre-war but could be during the East German era as well. There are a couple Glassels listed in Marienkirchen who made brass instruments with (almost) the same name. I appreciate all the help as my intent was to use only the valves on a rotary flugelhorn I would build with my bell and leadpipe. If it turns out to be worth a restoration as is, that is what I'd do. I'm still looking for Amati or Cerveyny rotary trumpets or flugels to buy if someone has one to sell.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Sebby

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: rotary trumpet Reply with quote

Hi,
I just came across your post. Hope you see this.
I actually have that rotary trumpet as well, the same bell markings. I got it off the internet a few years ago, not sure where anymore.
I think it would be difficult to track the horn without actually going to the town in Germany it was made in.
I would send you a picture of my horn, would love to compare the two, but I'm out of town for the rest of July.
Thanks
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, let’s start with some geography here Basel is a large city in northwestern Switzerland and the Swiss are very sensitive in that Switzerland is not part of Germany. There sure is a Friedrichstraße in Basel but that does not mean much because there are numerous Friedrichs after which to name streets makes sense. In Basel, this would for example be Friedrich Miescher.

Now on the other hand, there are numerous Friedrichstraßen all over Germany because Friedrich is a famous name for a number of kings and the like, the most prominent being Frederick the Great, Friedrich der Große. We sure have no shortage of Friedrichs here.

Plauen is a town close to the former border between east and west Germany and the i.V. stands for “im Vogtland” which is the region Plauen is located.

I have never heard of the manufacturer but Plauen is not too far from Markneukirchen-Klingenthal, one of, if not THE, center of instrument manufacturing in Germany or even Europe. Nice region for vacationing, too.

If the name is Glassl rather than Glasel this could lead somewhere. I don’t know many details but the Glassls moved from Bohemia to Germany and ended up in Rüsselsheim around Frankfurt/M where they built trumpets and flugelhorn that are among those underrated vintage instruments we all know about: Bauerfeind valves, handmade but no famous name and hence hard to sell. This is roughly what I have gathered - I may be wrong on some things here, but that’s about what I remember.

For more info, the local Musikinstrumentenmuseum may be able to help you. AFAIK they also speak English even though the website only seems to be in German. https://museum-markneukirchen.de/
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: