• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Customs/Duty and Shipping

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject: Customs/Duty and Shipping Reply with quote

Can somebody explain the process involved after purchasing a horn and having it shipped from overseas and what I need to do before I take delivery.

How do I get charged and how do I pay customs and duty fees? Do I get a bill? Do I have to pay before delivery? Where do I pay or go to pay?

I don't want the horn stuck in some warehouse somewhere waiting for me to do something and my shipper doesn't really know what happens or what I am to do after he ships it.

Any info is appreciated.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It varies widely, especially depending on where you are taking delivery, and where the shipment is coming from.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to visit the right website for the importation of goods. There you will find the right information. This is country dependent.

If you dont do this, you will receive notice of the arrival of the goods, where to go to collect them and how much is owing.

The goods will be stored for you and all they need is your delivery address to contact you, but you might be surprised at how much duty is charged. Dont be caught out find out first.
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what website do I go to? And how do I find out? I'm in the US and the used horn is less than $1000 coming from a small dealer in Australia.

Before I bite and make the buy, I want to make sure of custom and duty costs, but I just can't seem to find out where I get that information.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What US port of entry will this be coming into? How will it be sent?
When you know the port of customs entry, call customs at that port and ask for advice. They will help you.

You must tell the shipper to make an invoice giving the price you paid for the horn, whether it is used or new and what country it was made in. Basically, the shipper needs to give a complete description of the horn.

Because it has a value under US $2500 this should get through without the need of a customs broker to clear it for you.

As we have a trade agreement with Australia, there should not be any duty or taxes on your importation, however there could be some carrier charge on something not prepaid by the shipper.

Until I retired in March, I was a licensed US Customs Broker for over 40 years and imported many thousands of various shipments, including instruments.

With proper documentation there should be no problem, but it is impossible to guarantee something or someone will not hold up your shipment.

R. Tomasek
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the direction and suggestions. Got it sorted I think. And looks like it's much easier and cheaper than I thought. And shouldn't take more than ten days from ship date.

Let's see if it really is this easy, I'll post back when I get the horn.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you know what the port of entry will be, you can look here for the phone number.
https://www.cbp.gov/contact/ports
R. Tomasek
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin DiBona wrote:
Once you know what the port of entry will be, you can look here for the phone number.
https://www.cbp.gov/contact/ports
R. Tomasek

This was very helpful thank you. It's only a 40 minute drive from my house and the guy on the phone answered a bunch of questions for me. And I emailed my seller some forms he directed me to use.

I've always avoided international purchases because I thought this bureaucratic stuff would be a nightmare. It's not so bad as it turns out. Actually it seams pretty streamlined.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must add something I forgot in the original post.
If the horn is not made in Australia or the US, it could be subject to duty of 2.9% and a small customs fee.
It also could go right through with no duty or extra customs fees.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.trader wrote:
I've always avoided international purchases because I thought this bureaucratic stuff would be a nightmare. It's not so bad as it turns out. Actually it seams pretty streamlined.

This is one of my pet peeves about dealing g with the US. There seems to be this mania about NOT wishing to follow a process which (one hopes) was designed to be as easy on the government as possible, and just fleece a reasonable amount out of its citizens. And here we see that it IS easy for you guys south of the boarder.

At the end of the day, just think about the saying, 'You can't fight city hall'.

I just imported a trumpet from the US. We now pay a goods and services tax of 10% on EVERYTHinG which is imported. The process is:

Sit back and wait for a customs notice...
Fill the on line forms in, or email scanned versions.
Wait a bit.
Pay the amount of tax due.
Watch for the postman
Open your goods and enjoy.

It adds a week of two to the process, but you CAN'T win if you fight it. You CAN win, if you go with the flow and actually get the horn you want, or manage to sell one faster to/from an overseas person...

cheers

Andy
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin DiBona wrote:
I must add something I forgot in the original post.
If the horn is not made in Australia or the US, it could be subject to duty of 2.9% and a small customs fee.
It also could go right through with no duty or extra customs fees.

Nope, made in the USA, made its way Down Under, now its coming home again. No import duties or taxes. The guy I talked to says since it's such a low price and it's used vs new there won't be any extra duties or fees.

And since the port is so close a quick 45 minute drive is really no big deal for me, I can listen to two entire albums on the way up and back. Gives me an excuse to download some new music for the drive.

Now knock on wood and wait a week or so. I've lost out on lots of horns over the years because I didn't want to deal with the hassle of international dealings. Too bad I didn't know the process was easy enough even for a dummy like me to figure out!!
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anybody interested I got my horn from down under. Customs and duties were zero and everything was painless and the horn arrived with no damage.

Thanks for all the tips and info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: