• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

'63 LB Committee - Miles Holy Grail?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scipioap
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: '63 LB Committee - Miles Holy Grail? Reply with quote

I finally got my hands and chops on a Martin Committee #3 bore - it's an amazing player, but it seems unique. With serial #218,4xx, I'm guessing the horn's from around 1963 - so either late RMC or early Wurlitzer era? It has what I'd call the Wurlitzer engraving on its big 5 inch bell - no RMC shield, just "The Martin Committee, Elkhart - Indiana, USA". As such, it also has the 3rd slide ring holder relocated from sidemount to topmount. It also had the 1st slide trigger, as introduced by RMC, but the original owner swapped it out for a custom thumb ring, so the trigger was included separately.

What makes it unique for a .468" LB from this 1963 vintage is that it's all brass, with nickel-silver only for the inner slides, so there's no Deluxe marking. I thought this was how Wallace Roney described his most prized LB Committee he inherited from Miles, from the same era. It also has a very tapered tuning slide, per my caliper measurements, similar to Wallace's description, though not exact, although that may be due to my inexperience in measuring. AFAIK, Wallace and Kanstul used that Miles Committee as the basis for their 1603+ model...

[/img]
1963 Martin Committee #3
1962 Martin Committee Cornet #3
1961 Martin Custom Committee C
1941 Martin HC Committee #2
1945 Martin Committee #2
1942 Martin HC Committee Cornet
1941 Martin IBICO Indiana
2012 Kanstul 1525 SLB
1977 Olds CT Flugel
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, amazing specimen is it a relacquer or original finish?
scipioap
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, after 54 years, I can’t imagine it not being a relacquer, but it’s hard to tell, so done well, likely by Kanstul. I actually play a matching RMC Martin Committee #3 bore Deluxe cornet with #216xxx serial close to mint with original lacquer, and in contrast the trumpet lacquer looks like it will last forever.
1963 Martin Committee #3
1945 Martin Committee #2
2012 Kanstul 1525 SLB
1977 Olds CT Flugel

Last edited by scipioap on Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
fredo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi scipioap, hows does it compare to the Adams A9 ?
scipioap
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fredo wrote:
Hi scipioap, hows does it compare to the Adams A9 ?

IMHO, the A9 was a good interim substitute while I waited many years to find this Committee. Both produce a full even sound with great response and projection.

But in just the one weekend I've been comparing, the Martin has opened a whole palette of tonal colors I can't seem to produce on the Adams.

I would give the A9 the edge on centering, with regard to tuning, but at this stage in my playing progression (35 yrs), I'm more interested in the creativity which the Committee allows.

Put another way, I'm considering putting my A9 up for sale. PM me if interested. It's also in mint condition...

1963 Martin Committee #3
1945 Martin Committee #2
2012 Kanstul 1525 SLB
1977 Olds CT Flugel

Last edited by scipioap on Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
fredo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tks, no project to buy an other trumpet ... for the moment

my Committee need a good overhaul
kmag
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a beautiful trumpet and I can not believe what good shape it is in! Congratulations!

Looking at your photos prompted me to take some measurements on my Lawler C7 and it is amazing how similar they are. From the first two places you measured from they are almost identical, the third is the same. You first measurement of .450" is the same. My second measurement is .467". Since they are both .468" trumpets your must reach the .468" a hair later Mine also has the nickle internal slides and the ports in the valve block are vertical, not at angle, which is a difference I see quite often on Commitee inspired trumpets. These are the same. Mine also has a bell width of 5 1/16" width, red brass, with a .472 bell tail.

Since the Lawler was presented as a Committee inspired trumpet and not a faithful copy is indeed interesting to see how similar they are.

The immediate differences that I see are both the first and third slides are male on the Committee and male and female on the Lawler. The Lawler also does not have the trombone style but regular lever keys. I have no way of measuring the bell taper at home but it does go to show you even the trumpets that are closely inspired by the Martin and still not exact which is fine. I love my C7 and only Martin Committees are the real deal.

You must be over the moon to get one in such great shape.

1925 Holton trumpet
1946 Conn 80A
2012 Lawler C7
scipioap
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurt, thanks for your corroborating dimensions. Although I've never tried a Lawler, I've only read positive things about the C7, and was sorry to hear Roy discontinued his trumpet-craft, as the vintage Martin #3's in such condition are nearly impossible to find at reasonable cost.
1963 Martin Committee #3
1945 Martin Committee #2
2012 Kanstul 1525 SLB
1977 Olds CT Flugel
kmag
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

I do love the Lawler C7 but much of the point of my post is that if you want a Martin Committee you need to bite the bullet and get one. Not everyone is going to find one in the great condition that you got one in but all of the others are based on the Committee and that is where it ends, no matter how close, just as there are great trumpets based on the pre-war Bessons but if you really want one you need to find one. That does not mean the others are substandard but there are limited originals of anything. I would love to try an original Martin Committee in good shape some day!

Roy was saying his hands were taking to much strain making trumpets and that I can relate to. I retired partially due to the strain cable splicing was doing to my hands so I get it. When it is time to do something else your body will tell you.

1925 Holton trumpet
1946 Conn 80A
2012 Lawler C7
kmag
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos by the way.

1925 Holton trumpet
1946 Conn 80A
2012 Lawler C7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: