• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

More doubling possibilities

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: More doubling possibilities Reply with quote

I went for it . . . now in my second week as a tuba owner, hopefully not too terribly long before I can begin to call myself a tuba player.

Chris LaBarbera called me the other day and I asked him if he had any recollections that Doc may have told him about tuba players. I told Chris what I remembered Doc telling me about bass trombonists. Between the two of us, I was hoping for more.

So I figured I'd put it before the Reinhardt population here at Trumpet Herald and ask if anybody remembers anything Doc ever told them about playing tuba.

By the way, I sound pretty awful at this point, but can already tell that I'm improving. Slow and steady (and at times "painful") progress.

TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like fun, Rich.

Pure curiosity... Which type are you on tuba?
(It was you using different types on trumpet and trombone, right?)
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
Sounds like fun, Rich.

Pure curiosity... Which type are you on tuba?
(It was you using different types on trumpet and trombone, right?)

Actually, it turned out that I was a IIIB on both trumpet and trombone. To this day I believe that Doc "made" me a IV on trombone to help heal the mental scars from all my struggles on trumpet. Plus, he knew that the pivot for a IV was identical to a IIIB.

One of the things Chris told me that Doc told him was that "all tuba players are IIIAs" which amazes me. Hard to imagine not pulling down for the upper register, but I am experimenting with it.

Truthfully, at this point everything is experimental. When I figure out how to play this thing it will be a huge triumph, lemme tell you! And also at this point, I'm only trying this at home.

TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting!

I know some serious tuba players with very, very low placements - can't say I've had chance to watch closely but I'd be surprised if they're IIIA's... Then again, you guys know this stuff far better than I ever will, suppose anything is possible.
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few minutes ago while I was practicing, I remembered borrowing a clear tuba mouthpiece from Doc and watching a "street band" tuba player play through it (this was shortly after I moved to Philly in the summer of '81). His bottom lip was absolutely way out farther than his top lip and I could see the bubbles splashing against the upper part of the inner cup. Definitely an upstream tuba player, so I think Doc might've been joking around about all tuba players being IIIA. I think he was implying that their mouthpiece went so far up on their upper lip that there was no other way for them to play.

And, interestingly, I think my tuba mouthpiece doesn't sit much higher on my top lip than my trombone mouthpiece (which is about the same place as my trumpet mouthpiece), so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm still a IIIB on tuba.

Time will tell, I suppose.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall, also, that there's a tuba player on one of Mr Wilken's youtube clips who was flipping between up and down stream mid-register, but should've been upstream only?
JoshMizruchi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good friend and former roommate of mine is a tuba player. I still don't know much about the tuba, but one thing that amazed me is it seemed at least at the time that so many tuba players I knew had cheek puffs. I thought there might be something inherent in the pressure level of the instrument that really brings that out.

Other than that, I learned a bit about the Arnold Jacobs approach, which is pretty different from Reinhardt to say the least although they both seemed to stress letting the core of your sound be your guide.

And the Vaughan Williams tuba concerto is awesome.
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at this point I'm still a tuba owner and wouldn't call myself much of a tuba player yet.

But it is doing wonders for my trumpet chops, I have to tell you!

I've been asking around some to see if there are any actual tuba players who were Reinhardt students and so far I haven't found one. I would love to hear some of the tuba-specific things that Doc taught.

Anyway, practicing is far more enjoyable these days. I'll keep you posted and let you know when I've crossed the line and have become a tuba player.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: