• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

"Got To Get You Into My Life", EWF

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: "Got To Get You Into My Life", EWF Reply with quote

Current band is considering doing this one. We have a guy with access to charts, I haven't seen them yet. Does anybody know (I can't quite tell for sure from the recording) if those fast brief trumpet shakes on quarter notes (?)(toward the beginning of the song) can be supported by saxes/trombone? Maybe with a regular trill on sax, WITH the trumpet?

I really like the song, but only if we can do it decently. Fairly sure I can handle the trumpet part, as long as it's not in the last set! (Already told that to the leader).

Brad
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The record sounds like several trumpets but I'm sure the sax and trombone can support you on those brief shakes.

Man ever listen to the "Motown meets the Beatles" album? It's like a soul vaccination into those classic Beatles songs. If you haven't heard here's a link and it's well worth the listen.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAAc7YNk3R0snYO-8tiGeAOAFMrEywSWd
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look on YouTube for the version Chicago did in the 80s. Pretty good.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:
Look on YouTube for the version Chicago did in the 80s. Pretty good.

Tom

I agree, I like their version, but our bandleader is focused on the EWF arrangement. I found a chart, pretty sure we can do it.

Brad
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Live EWF (2004) with only 3 horns this should give you an idea of how the horns might sound with only one trumpet.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kc6XZ7u32To
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blood Sweat and Tears also covered this back around 75-76. Tony Klatka probably did the arrangement. It's a very nice rendition.
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peanuts56 wrote:
Blood Sweat and Tears also covered this back around 75-76. Tony Klatka probably did the arrangement. It's a very nice rendition.

definitely. It's the arrangement I'd like to get.
rick398

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do this tune in a cover band I'm in. I use a lip trill on the C#'s (there's a couple of D's as well.) I don't have the book in front of me but I think most of them are on dotted quarter notes. I usually let the note sound for about an 8th and trill/shake for the rest of the note. One of the D's is longer, dotted half I think, and I'll sit on the pitch a little longer before that shake but they are essentially all the same.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you can hit the pitch, you can probably do the shake/trill with a little practice. You could probably do a valve trill with it too if you wanted to.

I agree, the BST version is great, but if you want a dancy tune, EWF is the way to go.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rick398 wrote:
I do this tune in a cover band I'm in. I use a lip trill on the C#'s (there's a couple of D's as well.) I don't have the book in front of me but I think most of them are on dotted quarter notes. I usually let the note sound for about an 8th and trill/shake for the rest of the note. One of the D's is longer, dotted half I think, and I'll sit on the pitch a little longer before that shake but they are essentially all the same.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you can hit the pitch, you can probably do the shake/trill with a little practice. You could probably do a valve trill with it too if you wanted to.

I agree, the BST version is great, but if you want a dancy tune, EWF is the way to go.

I found a chart, that's exactly what's written on the chart I have.

I think I can handle it, I've been working on it, but for me (I've told this to the band leader) it will have to be fairly early in the gig; one of the things I lose when fatigue sets in is flexibility.

Brad
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blow off the ink articulation markings, and listen to the EWF recording. It's fairly distinctive, and it's not done the same way every time either.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
Blow off the ink articulation markings, and listen to the EWF recording. It's fairly distinctive, and it's not done the same way every time either.

I did listen, the recording I heard (it was a studio recording) sounded pretty similar to the chart I have. Like a lot of cover bands, as long as we do it well and fairly close to the original(s) I doubt anyone will notice if a few things are not EXACTLY like the recording.

But I'll take your suggestion and listen to it with the chart again.

Brad
rick398

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make it YOUR version!
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rick398 wrote:
Make it YOUR version!

Hey, when did you sneak into one of our rehearsals?😉

That's pretty much what tends to happen with this band....though we usually keep the tunes close enough to the originals that we don't have people in the crowd throwing beer bottles at us. Usually.😉

Brad
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:

There are EWF performances of this song on YouTube as well. I think it merits a look, because what you can do live versus studio is rarely the same unless your name happens to be Tom Scholz.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
rick398

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
rick398 wrote:
Make it YOUR version!

we don't have people in the crowd throwing beer bottles at us. Usually.😉

Brad

When they throw the full bottles you can tell yourself they are buying you drinks!

We've taken liberties with some of the tunes we do as well. Some things get opened up for a little more soloing, or we'll extend it in other ways to keep the party going and people on the dance floor. Because at the end of the day, that's the job - keep people having a good time (and the bar selling drinks/food whatever!)
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rick398 wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
rick398 wrote:
Make it YOUR version!

we don't have people in the crowd throwing beer bottles at us. Usually.😉

Brad

When they throw the full bottles you can tell yourself they are buying you drinks!

We've taken liberties with some of the tunes we do as well. Some things get opened up for a little more soloing, or we'll extend it in other ways to keep the party going and people on the dance floor. Because at the end of the day, that's the job - keep people having a good time (and the bar selling drinks/food whatever!)

Agreed, I think most bands, especially those who work clubs do that.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: