• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Well, I bought a valve trombone. What do I do now??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Well, I bought a valve trombone. What do I do now?? Reply with quote

I need to stay off eBay when I've been drinking. Anyway, I bought a valve trombone for super cheap on eBay and it arrived today. It's a Getzen Super Deluxe. I used to own a Super Deluxe trumpet and liked it so I figured the trombone might be fun to play.

What do I do now??

How should I go about gently practicing it so I don't mess up my trumpet chops? Your advice welcomed!

Cheers!
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Well, I bought a valve trombone. What do I do now?? Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
I need to stay off eBay when I've been drinking.

Congratulations on the new horn!

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
KevinInGeorgia
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switch between Bass Trumpet, Euphonium and Trumpet/cornet all the time.. For me it's easier to start with the bigger horns and move to the smaller ones.. I like to warm up on my Euphonium then move to flugelhorn then to trumpet.

It's been a few years but in one concert i went from playing bass trumpet on Gabrieli Antiphonal brass choir piece, to playing Bb Piccolo Trumpet on a Frackenpohl arrangement of Vaughn-William's "Theme by Thomas Tallis"
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevinInGeorgia wrote:
It's been a few years but in one concert i went from playing bass trumpet on Gabrieli Antiphonal brass choir piece, to playing Bb Piccolo Trumpet on a Frackenpohl arrangement of Vaughn-William's "Theme by Thomas Tallis"

I've had gigs needing Bb, flugel, picc, AND synth. That's a hoot. And I'd love an opportunity to add French horn or a lower brass instrument to a single performance. I've currently got a sackbut on loan and am considering getting a trombone.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Trombone purchase Reply with quote

I too, recently bought a trombone online. Mine was from shopgoodwiil.com. It was shipped out today. Surprisely, today I won a bid on a Jupiter 600 trumpet.

Never have played a trombone. It came with a 12 C trombone mouthpiece. Any suggestions on playing it is welcome.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Iron Mike" Bogart had a good suggestion at a horn section clinic.

He said he plays either trombone or trumpet in a practice session, but always ends with trumpet. Bone-to-trumpet is typically a harder transition than trumpet-to-bone (and I guess I'm typical like that), so ending every trombone session with trumpet ensures that I have practiced that harder transition.

Back in the neolithic, when I had to take a trombone class one semester, I had a real problem getting back to trumpet on the same day when I had played the trombone. Now, I'm no better on trombone than an undergrad in a bone class, but I can handle the transition back up to trumpet much better, since I started using Bogart's suggestion.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
BillyM
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a 1957 Conn valve bone and use a Bach 15C mouthpiece. I warm up with 30 minutes of long tones on the valve bone then same on trumpet. Keep from lip buzzing before playing the bone. Have enjoyed the bone double for 50 years. My first valve bone was a Getzen, then King 3B, Olds and finally found the Conn. Enjoy!
ATrumpetBrony
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a trombonist "by nature", having moved over to the brighter side of life about 2 years ago
Biggest thing I noticed, if it's any comparison, is that the airflow on trombone is WAY more like flugel than like trumpet. At least, that's how I've experienced it. Converesly, a small-ish, focused embouchure like on trumpet can help to create a nice rich, centered tone. I'd've defintely been inclined to use a super wide aperture, but a lot of the same rules still apply (of course)

I can move relatively freely between trumpet and trombone/euph, but I notice that moving from large to small makes my trumpet tone more difficult to control and a bit less rich than going the other way. Throwing marching horn into that mix makes moving larger or smaller more difficult still.

Just something to practice!

It's not what you play...
It's HOW you play
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doubling trombone since 1976, and to be comfortable on it and not mess up your trumpet chops, you just have to spend enough time on both to get to a level of comfort and proficiency you find adequate.
I have found it necessary to spend more time on trumpet, as it requires more chop strength, but after a while, it's as easy as changing gears. (You can drive stick, right?)
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LINK

JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Well, I bought a valve trombone. What do I do now?? Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
What do I do now??

You can get yourself a proper trombone without the valves.

Seriously though, doubling on various instruments is a lot of fun and has taught me a lot. I've had the most success not worrying about what I should do and simply just enjoy playing. Switching back and forth between horns, even woodwinds, is only hard if you let it. It might be unfamiliar at first, but it isn't hard. You won't mess up your trumpet chops unless you stop practicing trumpet. It might be weird at first, but you'll adjust.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
LINK

JoseLindE4 wrote:
Turkle wrote:
What do I do now??

You can get yourself a proper trombone without the valves.

LOL
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I double on trumpet and trombone and personally find that it works best to warm up on trumpet first, then on trombone, then alternate practice between the two instruments, not spending too much time banging on one horn before switching to the other, and then ending my practice session on trumpet.

I find it easy to switch from trumpet to trombone, but more difficult to switch back if I've played trombone too loud, low, and long.
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a trombone at the San Jose Jazz thing they were holding in St. James Park, had instruments out (and plenty of mouthpiece sanitizer) and were letting all comers have a go, and I could not get a sound out of it. The MP the guy handed me was huge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: