• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach Piccolo mouthpieces

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Betelgeuse215
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Bach Piccolo mouthpieces Reply with quote

I am noticing that there is a wide variety of people using something between a 7DW and 7EW for piccolo. What would the benefit be of having the deeper cup? Would it not make it more tiring? Also, would one need to adjust the backbore on a 7DW from a 76 to a 117?
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Bach Piccolo mouthpieces Reply with quote

Betelgeuse215 wrote:
I am noticing that there is a wide variety of people using something between a 7DW and 7EW for piccolo. What would the benefit be of having the deeper cup? Would it not make it more tiring? Also, would one need to adjust the backbore on a 7DW from a 76 to a 117?

Before it was stolen, I used a 7D with a 76 backbore (stock on D cups). Played great. The 76 bb is a high trumpet backbore, so it wasn't tiring at all. Gave a nice mellow sound, velvety - reminded me of a Scherzer.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the letters, the 7D is barely deeper than the 7E (same with the wide versions) - the main difference is in the backbores.

They're both good - more players seem to like the 117 on picc but some like the 76 too.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, it's not much deeper. The cup shapes 7E and 7D were quite a bit different, so I think that gives a valuable contribution to an increase in cup volume.

-Bruce Lee
Betelgeuse215
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might there be multiple applications for either one? I'm kind of new to the piccolo world and am wondering what would be a good starting point for all around piccolo work
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure! A lot of mouthpieces can be used for many things. Many people say a 117 backbore is for piccolo, but I use one on one of my B-flat mouthpieces and it works great.

A Bach 7E is usually recommended as a starting point because it is a very workable piccolo mouthpiece. Give one a try and see if it works.

-Bruce Lee
Betelgeuse215
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
Sure! A lot of mouthpieces can be used for many things. Many people say a 117 backbore is for piccolo, but I use one on one of my B-flat mouthpieces and it works great.

A Bach 7E is usually recommended as a starting point because it is a very workable piccolo mouthpiece. Give one a try and see if it works.

Thanks! I'll give a 7EW a shot since I am used to 1.25 size so it might feel a little better on the chops
Betelgeuse215
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update on the mouthpiece. The 7EW feels great and sounds a lot better(to my ears) than the 11AX I was previously playing. I also happened discover that a 3C(stock) works really well when you want to make it sound like a big trumpet. I wonder if it would work with a 117 backbore to get a better sound out of it or if it's better with a 10.
Daniel Barenboim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the 7ew, but be careful and keep your pin gauges handy. Too often the yahoos at the Bach factory get a little overzealous with that 117 backbore tool and enlarge the throat several sizes too big in the process.

DB
Betelgeuse215
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel Barenboim wrote:
I like the 7ew, but be careful and keep your pin gauges handy. Too often the yahoos at the Bach factory get a little overzealous with that 117 backbore tool and enlarge the throat several sizes too big in the process.

DB

Is that the only way to tell if you happen to not own pin gauges?
Betelgeuse215
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, anybody tried getting a 3D or 7D but getting a 117 backbore put on it?
tubbs831
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, why do a lot of people seem to prefer the W (cushion) rims on their piccolo mouthpiece but not on their regular one.
Betelgeuse215
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tubbs831 wrote:
Out of curiosity, why do a lot of people seem to prefer the W (cushion) rims on their piccolo mouthpiece but not on their regular one.

Makes transitioning between the two easier/faster if there is a large rim difference between the main mouthpiece and the picc one. This is why is use the W.
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:

The Vacchiano biography mentions that he preferred the 117 backbore for all around orchestral playing. In his day I would assume that meant primarily for Bb and D trumpet.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Betelgeuse215 wrote:
An update on the mouthpiece. The 7EW feels great and sounds a lot better(to my ears) than the 11AX I was previously playing. I also happened discover that a 3C(stock) works really well when you want to make it sound like a big trumpet. I wonder if it would work with a 117 backbore to get a better sound out of it or if it's better with a 10.

My 3C with a 117 backbore is best for me on the A side of my Kanstul piccolo. For the Bb side, I use a Bach 7D. The D cup is not a lot deeper than the E cup, but the cup shape is different, and it adds volume to the cup. Mssr. André, who I consider to be the father of all solo piccolo style and performance, used a 7DW, enjoying the wider rim for his playing. He was a confirmed 1 1/2C user on larger horns, so it might be a great idea to try it as well.

Al
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tubbs831 wrote:

I do it to balance the added pressure used to play the mostly high notes.....(runs for cover)
LandonTrumpet

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've seen and tested, the bach 7EW and the 7DW are very similar. My professor swears by a 7DW with a 117 backbore, but most students at my college play on a bach 7EW
Kanstul 920 Bb/A
65strad
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel Barenboim wrote:

DB

Even with CNC machining, or earlier?
'08 Bach factory custom "one off" 43*G SN#2008
'65 Bach 181 37 SN#30836
'67 Bach 180 37 SN#39773
'70 Bach 181 37 SN#58831
'72 Bach 180S 43 SN#70503
'05 Bach VBS 196 Picc SN#560142
'07 Bach Chicago C SN#656602
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: