• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

First time you used.notes above high D on paid gigs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:17 am    Post subject: First time you used.notes above high D on paid gigs? Reply with quote

You had to be scared. Hey its a major threshold to cross. Isnt it?

Me? I had been doing a college major thing before going out on the road. So I knew of the terror a high F or so creates for the young trumpet player the first few times in concert. By my second year of college I had blown many Basie, Kenton and Ellington charts. For a large university audience. All amateur sessions of course but was often required to blow up to high G. For some reason there was a dearth of music major trumpets with lead chops. So even as just a measly first year freshman? No one in the department could compete with my high note chops. And all I had was the G above high C.

Yet we'd had some excellent name soloists to back up. Most notably Max Roach. I took an improvisation class from Max and actually felt like we were becoming friends. Most memorable class in my life. He never bugged me about chord changes, wrong notes or even getting lost. His only concern was that I played with guts and from the heart.

Wish we had more profs like Max! Miss him. RIP.

But my very first paid gig requiring high notes wasnt until after my last semester in college. At a theater on the Cape. Pretty easy gig. Well easy for me now but not back when I was only 20 y/old.

There's a famous Broadway musical titled "Company". Again easy gig for me now but not so much back then. I was scared! At our first rehearsal I thumbed through my 1st trumpet book. Only to discover that near the end of the musical is an oddball female vocal scene titled "Ladies Who Lunch". And near the ending climax is an eighth note phrase starting at G top of staff. Which immediately rises to the third ledger line E natural. Or high E a third above high C. Continues in eighth notes down to high C, A and resting back down on the original G top of staff. You only need to play it up the octave once. Although you and the second trumpet play it down an octave a couple times before the solo lead pops out the higher line. Also the vocalist sings the phrase numerous times. So I had the thing pretty strong in my head. Knew how it would sound well in advance.

Easy for me now but at the time? Looked scary as Hell. In retrospect I could have played it down the octave and no one would have cared. As the music director was a bassoonist who hated high notes on the trumpet anyway. One of the most difficult conductors Ive ever worked with.

But this was how I got my feet wet. Fortunately I never missed the E during all fourteen shows we played. Nor flubbed any other part of the line. Just did as my previous teachers had taught me,

"Use you air Lionel! Put some guts behind those high notes. That's my boy"!!

Yep I truly had some really positive teachers back in the day. However it is up to every young man and that occassional woman to put himself on the line. Ya just gotta do it. Scary isnt it? Terrifying to me at the time. All that practice at home. Even repetitive rehearsal. Yet it still wasnt the same as public performance. But actually putting oneself out there on the line? Yeah and popping notes well into treble clef ledger lines is one heck of an initiation. Dont ya think?

That was my own initiation. Will be most glad to learn of yours.

PS: The more frightening gigs I ended up playing came a couple years later. These involved playing "Star Wars Theme" and Mangione's "Feel So Good". Neither even goes above the high D. But it needs a dominating performance. Those two were scary. More so even than Maynard's "Rocky" theme. That one was kinda easy for me oddly enough.

So? Have at it fellows! And congrats!

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first notes I played above D on paid gigs were in a Latin band I played in during the late 1990s, and there really was no pressure. Hit, miss - it just didn't matter and I still got paid at the end of the night. It was an interesting test tube to help figure out what did and what didn't work.

I played 2nd in the band, but for a time, my friend who played the 1st book would just flat out blow himself out in the 1st or 2nd set, and he'd be passing me charts to play, or I'd bail him out on occasion and we'd just suddenly and simultaneously read off of each other's chart - sometimes there was no indication either - we just "knew" and we'd switch. He was a great guy to play with - it was almost a Zen thing how well we played together.

In any case, much of it was experimental. The highest notes I ever played on a paid gig - legitimately played and not just squealed - were A's above 2nd ledger C.

These days my highest notes are E's, and in two rare instances, F's.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to do a lot of work with a community theater group that actually paid its orchestra. We had some interesting times.

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers was an experience. The rental company messed up so the orchestra sight-read opening night. Wasn't expecting the High Eb that closed out the first half.

Later we did Jesus Christ Superstar - went up to High D in the overture and High E a number of times toward the end of the show.

Nothing that would make you sweat, I'm sure, but at the time it made me a bit nervous.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the musical Gypsy, which went up to an Eb, maybe a F hit somewhere a few times. I think the last scene ends with you hanging out on an Eb for what seems like a long time by that point in the show.

A D really isn't all that 'high' anymore in commercial music. A Motown style horn/cover band I've been playing with recently has them everywhere, and E's and F's occasionally as well. The nice part is most of that style of playing is not the melody, just the horn licks, so you get the horn off your face quite a bit in between.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: First time you used.notes above high D on paid gigs? Reply with quote

Lionel wrote:
PS: The more frightening gigs I ended up playing came a couple years later. These involved playing "Star Wars Theme" and Mangione's "Feel So Good". Neither even goes above the high D. But it needs a dominating performance. Those two were scary. More so even than Maynard's "Rocky" theme. That one was kinda easy for me oddly enough.

P.P.S. I'm fairly sure I recall that Feels So Good has a very brief lick that goes up to maybe an F# near the very end. I remember really struggling what that while trying to learn it by ear, playing along with the recording way back when it first came out.
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: First time you used.notes above high D on paid gigs? Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
Lionel wrote:

P.P.S. I'm fairly sure I recall that Feels So Good has a very brief lick that goes up to maybe an F# near the very end. I remember really struggling what that while trying to learn it by ear, playing along with the recording way back when it first came out.

Randy,

If you're handy with tools and good with your hands? I recommend customizing a cornet mouthpiece. Turn it into a Flugel piece. First find a cornet mouthpiece to match your main trumpet piece.

Next? Enlarge the back-bore and drill the throat out to a #16 or so size. Be careful not to lengthen the throat as this throws the upper register so flat that you may need to play a high C# in order to get a high C.

But if well done? The tone is nearly indistinguishable from a standard flugelhorn mouthpiece. The mouthpiece gap will probably be kinda wide but so far Ive never noticed any musical deficiency from these kinds of customized pieces.

If you still desire an even mellower tone? Drill a Parduba-like "second cup". Make the second cup deep and conical. Like a French Horn piece.

With this kind of customized equipment you can absolutely hammer up to a high F and above. Yet still sound great down in the staff.

Im told that Chuck Mangione not only refrained from performing but actually quit the horn altogether for a decade or more. Kind of a waste but I get it. The performing world is particularly hostile to trumpets.

Fuzzy Dunlop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: First time you used.notes above high D on paid gigs? Reply with quote

Lionel wrote:
And near the ending climax is an eighth note phrase starting at G top of staff. Which immediately rises to the third ledger line E natural. Or high E a third above high C. Continues in eighth notes down to high C, A and resting back down on the original G top of staff.

The line ends on an F#, not a G. The revival version is up a half-step and asks the lead tpt to play it a few times up there. It's a great tune.
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: First time you used.notes above high D on paid gigs? Reply with quote

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:
Lionel wrote:
And near the ending climax is an eighth note phrase starting at G top of staff. Which immediately rises to the third ledger line E natural. Or high E a third above high C. Continues in eighth notes down to high C, A and resting back down on the original G top of staff.

The line ends on an F#, not a G. The revival version is up a half-step and asks the lead tpt to play it a few times up there. It's a great tune.

Picky picky picky lol.
But yes you're correct. It is an F#. I hadnt seen the chart in 42 years.

I had played hundreds of E's F's G's and even a few A's in college and high school. But in a serious off Broadway show? That was scary. First msndatory rule re high notes is,

BLOW! Dont shut of the air! You cant just lip it.

One interesting phrase which Maynard's former lead player didnt blow was the,

B nat, D, to a High G

On the first three notes intro to "Birdland" on the Mike Douglas Show. Circa 1976 or so. This was after Lynn Nicholson left and the guy spoting the lead player Stan Mark was a really fine high note man too. But with a full brown beard.

On Maynard's band the second trumpet player was usually a great double C guy. Such as Lynn. Somewhere Lynn once explained on Facebook that he played the 2nd chair and was to "assist the lead player (Stan Mark) as needed".

In another video known as "The Mark Of Jazz" you can see Lynn popping some outstanding double C's on "Livin For the City" behind the sax solo.

But as for why neither Stan nor his alternate screamer on the second book didnt go for the high G on beginning of "Birdland" has always been a mystery to me. The section certainly had he chops but nobody went for it. A disappointment.

bnsd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope.. never missed a high note in my life and especially not when I'm getting paid for it... no sir.. not me
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: First time you used.notes above high D on paid gigs? Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
Lionel wrote:

Did a song off Chuck's Main Squeeze album called Love the Feeling that ended on F#. I actually went for it once and think I hit it but I'm not entirely sure.
https://youtu.be/-P1_sjdfgxk
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: