• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

CarolBrass cornet blending well in section?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markmashburn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: CarolBrass cornet blending well in section? Reply with quote

I'm looking to get a Bb CarolBrass cornet for brass band and was wondering if anyone has experience playing one within a section and your opinion on how well it blended with other cornets. Thanks!
GuidoCorona
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark, of course I am partial to CB cornet, as I own two of them.... Yet, the answer to your question is a... "Probably it depends!"

Carolbrass makes a variety of cornet targetting several price points, including at least one long model, and several shorter models with one or more crooks,, up to the CCR-7772 with three crooks... standard 4.75" to 5.31" bells, yellow, gold, and red brass bells, and even models built entirely from gold or red brass.... I suspect that their overall tone would vary accordingly to the combination of various build parameters.

And let's not forget the MP... My own 7772 gold brass triple crooker with 5.31" bell is wonderfully sensitive to mouthpiece, and readily modulates its tone according to the mouthpiece and blow.

What cornets brands/models are being used in your band? And what tone are you seeking?

Regards, G.
brianj
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: CarolBrass cornet blending well in section? Reply with quote

markmashburn wrote:
I'm looking to get a Bb CarolBrass cornet for brass band and was wondering if anyone has experience playing one within a section and your opinion on how well it blended with other cornets. Thanks!

Hi

I played a few rehearsals and a couple of concerts last week with a brass band that had a cornet section of mostly Besson Sovereigns. The back row was all sovereigns except the sop which was a Schilke. The front row was a mix though of a Sovereign, 2 CarolBrass 8880’s, a Bach and a Yamaha. There wasn’t a problem with the blend.

All the best

Brian Jones
markmashburn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your reply. I ended up getting a CCR-3880-GSS, and like it a lot. No trouble blending with the rest of the section so far.
pc2001197
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would almost say it has very similar bell flare as the Sovereigns. For some reason personally I always have trouble dealing with the valves on the Bessons, but I never had any problem with CarolBrass valves (Yet!). It blends real well when I subbed in brass band.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for an excellent British brass band (BBB) cornet at a comfortable price, I bought an excellent John Packer cornet (Smith-Watkin lead pipe) specifically for BBB and that is great. Take a good look at them.

(I never used it for that, have an American vintage cornet so don't need the Packer. It's like-new and I'll let it go at a great price. Even if you don't want mine, this horn is worth a close look.)

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: