• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Medium Bore trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
howardjb98

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Medium Bore trumpet Reply with quote

Hi all. I am in search of a medium bore trumpet (bore preferably in the .450's). It doesnt have to be new. The kicker is, my budget is 550 dollars. I may be able to consider more, but it depends on what I think of the horn. What are your suggestions? Thanks in advance!
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a good condition King Liberty or Conn 22B from apx 1925-1938.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d suggest a King Super 20 in non dual bore. I think they are .453. I had one that Charlie Melk did a valve job on and it was the sweetest sounding horn Ive ever had. I traded it (for 4 times what I paid) on something I couldn’t do without and have regretted not just paying the cash since. Great horns.
Rod
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

60's Connstellation. Built like tanks and play great! Models 38b and 36b. If you are patient, you can find these in near-mint condition for reasonable prices. Less than mint, even more so. The bells are extremely dent-resistant and the leadpipes are usually pit-free. Red rot is very uncommon on these models, in my experience.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Medium Bore trumpet Reply with quote

howardjb98 wrote:
Hi all. I am in search of a medium bore trumpet (bore preferably in the .450's). It doesnt have to be new. The kicker is, my budget is 550 dollars. I may be able to consider more, but it depends on what I think of the horn. What are your suggestions? Thanks in advance!

OK, so you take a .460 bore trumpet, don't clean it for a month, and you have a .455 bore trumpet.

TADA!

In other words, such small differences in bore size are completely meaningless when the tapers involved affect the blow so much more, and how you play the horn even more of a difference.

Perhaps you could tell us what you're playing, what your perceived issue is, and what your goal is so we can give you real advice?

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boog wrote:
60's Connstellation. Built like tanks and play great! Models 38b and 36b. If you are patient, you can find these in near-mint condition for reasonable prices. Less than mint, even more so. The bells are extremely dent-resistant and the leadpipes are usually pit-free. Red rot is very uncommon on these models, in my experience.

Well, I'd like to know where. The O.P. is looking for a $550.00 horn. I paid twice that much for mine plus adding a valve job.

It's a killer horn, though, and fits the O.P.'s requirements otherwise. That was the first thing that came to my mind when I read the post.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
bear30101

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two Conn 22Bs at Rich Ita's Brass Instrument Workshop. One for $450, one for $750. www.brassinstrumentworkshop.com. He's a Master Craftsman and completely trustworthy.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
I’d suggest a King Super 20 in non dual bore. I think they are .453. I had one that Charlie Melk did a valve job on and it was the sweetest sounding horn Ive ever had. I traded it (for 4 times what I paid) on something I couldn’t do without and have regretted not just paying the cash since. Great horns.
Rod

S1 Super 20's are .448 bore.
S2 Super 20's are .458 bore.
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
boog wrote:

Well, I'd like to know where. The O.P. is looking for a $550.00 horn. I paid twice that much for mine plus adding a valve job.

It's a killer horn, though, and fits the O.P.'s requirements otherwise. That was the first thing that came to my mind when I read the post.

I bought my 36b for $150 in a pawn shop (~15-20 yrs ago). It DID need some soldering on the tuning slide. Last fall I bought a pristine 28a long cornet on ebay for $420 including shipping. I DID say IF you are patient! Yes, the Connstellations have skyrocketed up in price in the last few years. But, my, they DO play and sound quite nice!
Evinerate
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try to land yourself a deal for a Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet for 500 and under. These are amazing playing horns, medium #2 bore, rich Martin tone and loose slotting. Very similar to the Handcraft Committee.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iiipopes wrote:
Rod Haney wrote:
Rod

S1 Super 20's are .448 bore.
S2 Super 20's are .458 bore.

I stand corrected. The horn is still worth much more than the cost although mine was 60 years old. Great tone and play.
Rod
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: medium bore trumpet Reply with quote

I would pay attention to what Boog says. The Conns are good medium bore horns. You can find them for reasonable price. Ones that are more pristine gor for $1000 and up, but both the 36 and 38 could throw some massive sound and project to the far wall for sure. Good Luck
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Conn trumpets, but they are mostly SMALL bore, not medium. If the OP is looking for a medium bore the first that came to my mind are Callet SIMA or Yamaha 8310. Price is higher but imho they are both worth considering.
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evinerate wrote:
You could try to land yourself a deal for a Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet for 500 and under. These are amazing playing horns, medium #2 bore, rich Martin tone and loose slotting. Very similar to the Handcraft Committee.

In response to you - the Martin HCI is not a loose slotting horn, not in the #2 bore #37 bell configuration. I would expect the #2 or #3 bore with the M bell might be more loose slotting as that is much more like a large bore Committee but there's no way you will find one of those for 500.

Here is my video on the HCI:

Link

Absolutely agree that these are wonderful sounding and playing horns!

To the OP - do you want a more resistant horn, is that why you want a medium bore, or do you want a medium bore horn just because?

Best,
Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
howardjb98

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I am sorry that I am just now checking this, it's just that a lot has happened in the last few days and I have been extremely busy. I currently play on a bach strad lt180s77 (7 leadpipe). The large bore and openness of it just wears me out. That's why I am looking for something a little smaller with more resistance.
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen, in my small collection of brass trumpets I have noticed the following (from 'more resistance in the blow' to 'less resistance in the blow')

Getzen Eterna II 700 .460
Olds Super 1949 .460
Vincent Bach 180/37 .459
Olds Super 1962 .460
Conn Director Coprion .438

The tightest bore instrument has the LEAST resistance in the blow!

Bore size says little. Go find yourself an instrument that meets your expectations rather than focus yourself on bore sizes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: