• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha Synthetic Valve Oil - Super Light

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Yamaha Synthetic Valve Oil - Super Light Reply with quote

Hi

I was running low of valve oil, so ordered from the following website, which I have done on quite a few occasions, owing to their price being the lowest at the time in the UK:

http://www.bandsupplies.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?manufacturer=35&q=yamaha+valve+oil

I ordered Light as usual.

When I received my valve oil, I noticed that the bottle had changed, and was now white and labelled Super Light.

I thought that this was odd and the valve oil did seem thinner, but I guessed that it may be a name change in association with the new bottle design.

Anyway, I played my trumpet for the first time with the new valve oil at my orchestra day last Sunday. The valves of my Yamaha 8335 Xeno II trumpet are usually totally reliable, but my second valve did fully come up on the upstroke on two occasions and was slow on others, which I thought was strange, but since it was fine after re-oiling, I thought nothing more of it.

On Wednesday, I played my cornet at my brass band and the valves didn't feel like they normally do, it was as if someone had put on lighter springs, and also on very quick passages I felt as if my valve stroke had very slightly altered in length. I was bewildered at first and thought that maybe I was tired or something and my fingers didn't quite want to go with my tongue. It was very subtle and no one would have noticed anything, but it bothered me. I then remembered the change in name and label colour of my valve oil and looked on google when I got home

If you scroll down the following link, (if you were not already aware of this) you will see that in the new bottle design, there are now four thicknesses of Yamaha Synthetic Valve oil, Regular, Light, Vintage and Super Light:

https://www.alangregory.co.uk/music/Valve_Oil.html

Since I was sent Super Light, which wasn't even an option when I placed my order, I have emailed the company and am waiting to hear. I'm not sure that I have a correct email address, as I used one from a previous instrument enquiry as I couldn't find contact details on their website, so will ring if I don't hear.

Regarding the Super Light oil, it is described on the above link as:

The Yamaha Super Light Superior Valve Oil is designed for instruments with very tight valve tolerances, such as custom and professional trumpets.

Whereas the Light oil is as described below:

The Yamaha Light Superior Valve Oil is designed for instruments with tight valve tolerances, such as custom and professional trumpets and is the same oil included with all Yamaha Professional and Artist Series Custom Instruments.

I've used the Super Light on two Yamaha professional instruments, an older 8335 Xeno cornet and a newish 8335 Xeno II trumpet, and in my opinion it is too thin for either. I oil every time I play, and had to oil mid way through an orchestra day, which I've never had to do before, and my valves on both instruments felt like I hadn't oiled sufficiently.

I really like the Light oil, and to be honest cannot see any reason at all for needing anything thinner, unless Yamaha Artist instruments have closer valve tolerances than the Xeno II.

Anyway, I thought that this may be of use to someone.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
LargoBone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Synthetic Valve Oil - Super Light Reply with quote

I've also had varying success between different "degrees" of Yamaha oil. I tried the vintage, light, and super light on my extremely vintage Boosey euphonium which had it's valves re-plated a couple years ago. The light was nice for a few days, maybe a little sluggish here or there but, since I have an extra bottle laying around, I'll be using this one for a little while. The vintage was WAY too thick and I figured it would be, as the valves are still relatively tight. The super light was actually very nice. The only drawback I found was that I need to re-oil about every 2 days instead of every 3 or 4. All in all, I've never tried another valve oil that was quicker, blew better, or could be used so sparingly.
Regiment Bugle for scout camp-Bach 5C
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Synthetic Valve Oil - Super Light Reply with quote

LargoBone wrote:
I've also had varying success between different "degrees" of Yamaha oil. I tried the vintage, light, and super light on my extremely vintage Boosey euphonium which had it's valves re-plated a couple years ago. The light was nice for a few days, maybe a little sluggish here or there but, since I have an extra bottle laying around, I'll be using this one for a little while. The vintage was WAY too thick and I figured it would be, as the valves are still relatively tight.

Hi LargoBone

Thank you very much.

The super light was actually very nice. The only drawback I found was that I need to re-oil about every 2 days instead of every 3 or 4. All in all, I've never tried another valve oil that was quicker, blew better, or could be used so sparingly.

Regarding the last statement, are you referring specifically to the Super Light or Yamaha Synthetic valve oil in general? I oil every time I play, or at the very least every other time I play, and the Super Light didn't even last for one orchestra day on my less than two year old Yamaha Xeno II trumpet, and I didn't like it on my Yamaha Xeno cornet.

I'm gone back to the Light oil, and am going to see whether the company will take the Super Light back, since it wasn't even what I ordered.

Thanks again.

Take care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou,

Interesting - their regular light oil is hardly what you'd call thick, even for their famously tight valves, I wonder why they felt the need to devise a lighter formula??

Alan Gregory seems to be a mixed bag - friends of mine that have been to their shop in person give glowing reviews, but I had a fairly poor experience with their website (item marked in stock when it clearly wasn't and they didn't reply to emails too quickly... It got solved eventually but put me off a bit)
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Yamaha Synthetic Valve Oil - Super Light Reply with quote

I had been using their "Synthetic Light" for a few months . Recently when I went to order more I came up empty!! I can't find it ANYWHERE and the websites I order it from all say "not available". I have not seen anything that says "Super Light". The places I have checked just start with "Regular". So...I went back to "Hetman Light". Problem solved!!

Butch
TRUMPE: SCHILKE B7 / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "RT1" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
Lou,

Hi TKSop

Interesting - their regular light oil is hardly what you'd call thick, even for their famously tight valves, I wonder why they felt the need to devise a lighter formula??

I'm not sure either. The Light is pretty similar in my opinion in terms of thickness to Hetman 1, so I also cannot see the need for any lighter.

Alan Gregory seems to be a mixed bag - friends of mine that have been to their shop in person give glowing reviews, but I had a fairly poor experience with their website (item marked in stock when it clearly wasn't and they didn't reply to emails too quickly... It got solved eventually but put me off a bit)

Just to clarify, my incorrect valve oil order wasn't from Alan Gregory. Regarding Alan Gregory, I have ordered other things from them in the past with no problems, but I don't think that I have ever contacted them via email.

Take care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Synthetic Valve Oil - Super Light Reply with quote

maynard-46 wrote:
I had been using their "Synthetic Light" for a few months . Recently when I went to order more I came up empty!! I can't find it ANYWHERE and the websites I order it from all say "not available". I have not seen anything that says "Super Light". The places I have checked just start with "Regular". So...I went back to "Hetman Light". Problem solved!!

Butch

Hi Butch

Thanks very much. I am finding Yamaha Synthetic Light available in the UK, so will stick with it, since I've been using it for quite a few years. I'm going to try and swap my Super Light bottle, since this wasn't what I ordered.

Take care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: