• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New Equipment Opinion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
asimp16109

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: New Equipment Opinion Reply with quote

I have been thinking about looking into getting a "lead" mouthpiece to switch things up a little.

Playing insight: I play on a Bach 1c mouthpiece and, when warmed up, can play up to E and F above high C decently well, but I'm not sure I could play entire shows up there (never really had to).

I'd like to get something that would aid in this venture. Perhaps give me up to an A and help in longevity compared to my 1C.

I saw a Monette B2S3 in the marketplace for a great price and was wondering if this would help? I know on the Monette site they compare that size to a 1 1/4C, but I wasn't sure if the altered design would aid in me getting that extra 3rd plus endurance.

Any information would be appreciated!
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have range to E/F above high C on a Bach 1C then that mouthpiece is working for you and switching to something else won't increase your range to any significant degree. A different mouthpiece may make it a little easier to produce your existing range and may give you a little more endurance but the difference between an F above high C and an A above high C is a dramatic difference you're not likely to cover, or even come close to covering, with just a mouthpiece change.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having said that, sometimes the attitude change that comes with a mouthpiece change can help up there - often not, but sometimes.

If you're looking to make what you already have easier and improve endurance, you can't go far wrong with a Reeves 43C or 43M - neither are so shallow that you're likely to get bottoming issues, but they add some real zip and are very easy to play up there.
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GR designed a mouthpiece for symphonic players who play larger mouthpieces with lower alpha angles, but then they have to play a pops show and need a more efficient mouthpiece. Check out the 67CT-Z.

From the GR website:
"67CT-Z
This is a commercial mouthpiece designed specifically for players who are used to playing larger mouthpieces!
This model features a medium alpha angle for tons of chop room, a high compression cup, high compression #1 GR backbore, and the C-T rim that many players are familiar with.
If you are a symphonic player and need a high compression mouthpiece for pops or commercial work, this is the one!"

Try through a GR dealer, or if there are none around you, try Thompson Music in Nebraska as they offer a return policy and they are more than happy to ship to you.

Brian Scriver
www.grmouthpieces.com
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, I agree the mouthpiece won't give you anything, but will assist what you can do. - May make what range you have a little more consistent, less work to get the tone you want (helps endurance), and pitch issues with upper register notes.

I suggest Curry Presicion moiuthpieces. The rim is very comparable to Bach's as far as feel, they are very consistent within a number (all 3's feel the same - something that is not consistent with other makers), and there is a logical range of designs. I find them more comfortable but similar enough that if I want I can pick up my Bach mouthpiece and play without issue.

Just check sizes, i.e. a Curry 3 rim is/feels larger than a Bach 3...
I was a long time Bach 1 1/2 C player that switched to Curry 3's. Play a 3C for "standard" work (Concert Bands, Orch, quintet, solo), and a 3* (star) for commercial work.. I'm not a screamer but often split lead when needed, I'm comfortable up to an F, and when on top of things G's and the occassional A.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B. Scriver wrote:
GR designed a mouthpiece for symphonic players who play larger mouthpieces with lower alpha angles, but then they have to play a pops show and need a more efficient mouthpiece. Check out the 67CT-Z.

From the GR website:
"67CT-Z
This is a commercial mouthpiece designed specifically for players who are used to playing larger mouthpieces!
This model features a medium alpha angle for tons of chop room, a high compression cup, high compression #1 GR backbore, and the C-T rim that many players are familiar with.
If you are a symphonic player and need a high compression mouthpiece for pops or commercial work, this is the one!"

Try through a GR dealer, or if there are none around you, try Thompson Music in Nebraska as they offer a return policy and they are more than happy to ship to you.

Brian Scriver
www.grmouthpieces.com

If you play a 1C now, this is likely your best option for a mouthpiece that feels similar on your face, but will give you a great commercial sound.

Bri knows his stuff.
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaysonr wrote:
B. Scriver wrote:

From the GR website:
"67CT-Z

Brian Scriver
www.grmouthpieces.com

If you play a 1C now, this is likely your best option for a mouthpiece that feels similar on your face, but will give you a great commercial sound.

Bri knows his stuff.

I'm definitely NOT saying that Brian doesn't know his stuff (spoiler: He does!) and that GR isn't great, but telling someone their best option without seeing/hearing them play based simply on the parameters the OP gave is a bit like recommending a long distance walking shoe without knowing a person's foot or gate.

That being said, to keep things somewhat consistent the GR and a Curry 1M or 1* would probably be something to investigate as well.
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had similar trials in the past where I really liked the sound of my normal, everyday use mouthpiece, but found it to be too much work for 3 hour parties, longer Catholic services, busy quintet gigs, or when I really need that strong F at the end of a tune. My answer was a Bob Reeves Purviance 9AB. The reason it worked is because I liked the basic tone I was getting with it. The other thing that I found helpful was defining my niche as a player. I like to be able to give a true lead player a break when asked but don't pretend to be more than a reasonable facsimile lead player. Switching to true lead equipment simply doesn't work for me as I don't produce a sound I'm happy with. I'm happy helping out the guys that really play lead well. Hope these insights help some.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reeves makes a larger diameter, the 43.5 which is closer to your 1C in ID.
The Curry 80M or 80S swould put you in the same ballpark. If you can find one, the Jettone T2B is another good choice. I think Patrick makes a version of it.

Warburton also has pieces of varying depths in your ID, I think the #2 rim falls into that slot. Tim Morrison endorses them with a 2M cup and #6 backbore for pops on his Bb.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: New Equipment Opinion Reply with quote

asimp16109 wrote:

I saw a Monette B2S3 in the marketplace for a great price and was wondering if this would help?

Probably not.

Try the GR, Reeves, Curry, etc. suggestions already mentioned.
Also consider something in the Stork Studio Master series, especially in the XMS cup.

Just don't skip the GR in your hunt; they're really something special.
asimp16109

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the advice!

I guess that means, in theory, the B2S3 or even a B15 would be something I could replace my 1C for if I feel more comfortable playing it, but not to enhance range. Correct?

I probably should have elaborated more in my OP. When I warm up, I can hit those notes, but I'm not sure if I would play them for the public yet . Before my gig yesterday I was able to get up to F# and hold it, but wasn't the worlds most powerful sound. E and F were decent though.

If I want to look into, what some of the people I've been playing with lately have called "a fun toy" for lead mouthpieces, do you have any extra recommendations?

I was looking into the GR Bergeron Studio and several Monettes, but coming from the classical world, this is a bit new to me.

Any extra insight would be appreciated!
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJCarter wrote:
jaysonr wrote:
B. Scriver wrote:

From the GR website:
"67CT-Z

Brian Scriver
www.grmouthpieces.com

Bri knows his stuff.

I'm definitely NOT saying that Brian doesn't know his stuff (spoiler: He does!) and that GR isn't great, but telling someone their best option without seeing/hearing them play based simply on the parameters the OP gave is a bit like recommending a long distance walking shoe without knowing a person's foot or gate.

That being said, to keep things somewhat consistent the GR and a Curry 1M or 1* would probably be something to investigate as well.

Hence the line...

I never tell anyone to buy a mouthpiece, especially without fitting them in person. I always listen to history and make suggestions. The CT-Z suggestion is being made using data from hundreds of customers who are happy with them and coming from larger diameter mouthpieces. Also, it is best to just get a GR on the customer's chops and use that as a baseline. So, deal with a GR dealer who offers a trial or return opportunity and report your findings to me. Better yet, get your phone out and video yourself playing the GR Playing Tests. That way GR and I can both assess the situation and make further suggestions if necessary.

Bri
www.grmouthpieces.com
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJCarter wrote:
jaysonr wrote:
B. Scriver wrote:

From the GR website:
"67CT-Z

Brian Scriver
www.grmouthpieces.com

Bri knows his stuff.

I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression. The OP said he played a 1C, and wanted a more commercial style piece. The 67CT rim from GR is a great option for folks used to a 1C rim, and the CT-Z specs provide the commercial sound.

There is only so much any of us can go on via a web forum.

That being said, depending on the Bach 1C he has, he may be more comfortable with a Curry 1HM or 1H* as I've found the 1H rim closer to most Bach 1C's I ahve personally tried. The Curry 1 rim feels flatter, has a sharper bite, and lower alpha angle and to me feels more like a Bach Mt. Vernon 1 or modern 1X rim. Just my impressions though, every one feels and responds to these things differently.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asimp16109 wrote:

I guess that means, in theory, the B2S3 or even a B15 would be something I could replace my 1C for if I feel more comfortable playing it, but not to enhance range. Correct?

Correct - those models are intended to fulfil a similar role to your 1C, so if you find you get better results in your regular playing than with your 1C then there woulld be nothing wrong with choosing to play one instead of your 1C.

I've always considered Monette's to be good pieces - the marketing may be rather dubious (but the same goes for several other makers) and the prices may be sky high but the pieces themselves are nicely balanced and play very well...
I don't choose to use them, but that's not because there's anything wrong with them.

asimp16109 wrote:
If I want to look into, what some of the people I've been playing with lately have called "a fun toy" for lead mouthpieces, do you have any extra recommendations?

I was looking into the GR Bergeron Studio and several Monettes, but coming from the classical world, this is a bit new to me.

Honestly - GR's and Monettes are great pieces, as are Reeves (which I mentioned further up the thread....

But if this is more something to mess around with a bit and get a feel for, maybe going straight to the most expensive manufacturers isn't the wisest move?
There are some excellent pieces available for a lot less money (and some choose them regardless of price) that would probably teach you just as much as a first foray into the "fun toy" lead piece... Pieces from the likes of Marcinkiewicz, Curry, etc

Regardless, the best policy is to try and get to somewhere you can try a few out in person and pick what seems most appropriate.
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to consider is volume and sound. Regardless of range, if you are trying to play lead over a band at some point you're gonna have to play loud and carry over the band. This is much different than the symphonic loud that you are used to with a 1C. You may find that it's hard work with the 1C. That's why most commercial lead players don't play a 1C.

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: