• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

my range

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tptguru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: my range Reply with quote

hello, i have range to high F above high C most days, on somedays i can have a double high C. but when i get closer to high C one side of my face starts pulling back and mouthpiece goes to side.

any suggestion how to work on this ? caruso 6 notes transposed i have been thinking, i want to have more efficient high note
Thank you
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Caruso 6 notes exercise is a warm-up. The Caruso interval studies would be the proper exercise. Best to find a Caruso teacher to get started on the right track. I would not advise anyone to tackle Caruso without a teacher who is very involved in Carmine's methods.
I was fortunate to have studied with one of Carmine's students on and off for a five year period. In between I also did a year or so with Carmine. He was an amazing man.
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: my range Reply with quote

tptguru wrote:
hello, i have range to high F above high C most days, on somedays i can have a double high C. but when i get closer to high C one side of my face starts pulling back and mouthpiece goes to side.

any suggestion how to work on this ? caruso 6 notes transposed i have been thinking, i want to have more efficient high note
Thank you

When developing the upper register exercise much care not to overtrain your chops. This can be a tricky matter in as much as our embouchure muscles do not give us as much warning as do our other muscles.

Play an extra round of tennis you shouldnt have?
Get a minor case of tennis elbow.

Find yourself in your forties and be pleasantly surprised that you can still hit a softball 300 ft (a damned good tag by the way!)?

Only to find that you can hardly walk to the water cooler at work on Monday morning. Stiffest legs you've ever hsd.

You chops however do not have such definitive warning signs. Not like your legs and arms do. You might even find yourself capable of handling a really nice high G on one day. Then later in the afternoon you've got nothing. Literally nothing above a high C...

Ive done lots of Caruso and found his work physically demanding. Had to be careful not to over do the exercises. So that I wasnt burned out by showtime. Later I invented another set of notes for my warm up. And if or when I still use Caruso, its more to challenge my chops. Preparing for a gig in the days or weeks before. Not as a strict regimen.

One thing I will say for Caruso. It is a practice regimen which well mimicks playing a steady gig. I like that.

Half the battle my friend is knowing what muscles to develop. The next challenge is to know when you've done enough for the day.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: