• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I need a favor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkwolfe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: I need a favor Reply with quote

Good evening;

I've had an idea in my head, and I could really use your help with figuring out if there is something to it. So, here's what I'd like you to do: please reply with the highest note you can play on a trumpet comfortably (Bb6, C7, G8, or whatever), and then what is the highest note that you can whistle.

For me, currently, I can play an Bb5, and I can whistle a C7.

Thanks,
D
bnsd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only whistle about a B, and can play a high A above that... I can only whistle in the staff F, and blow pedal tones like a tuba.

my whistling blows
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant whistle well enough to draw attention to my dog. Nor even the local good looking women. To save my life? I can't whistle.

Which leads me to believe that my lips are muscle bound. Work fine for trumpet and trombone but useless for whistling and maybe even flute.

Highest note?

A natural just below quadruple C. Sounds like something frying in a hot pan.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
brassmusician
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whistle F top of stave, play up to first E above stave, sometimes F.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whistle G6 (very sharp, lousy tone)-I'm a terrible whislter, play a solid F, occassional G's.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can whistle a G5. On good days I generally have a double C/D end of a gig. Bad days G-Bb. Highest I've played is F above double C.

If you are trying to correlate whistle range or tongue level etc... to playing range, you're following a fallacious premise. They are entirely different.

PS I can barely whistle with any tone.

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but I'm not fluent in the "C5" type nomenclature (probably should be, but it is what it is). So I'll use good old fashioned trumpet jargon here.

The highest note I can whistle is what would be an E above High C on a Bb trumpet (Concert D). Note that I have to suck in to whistle this note. When blowing I can barely whistle at all. It's been this way all my life. If I blow I can only whistle notes between E above tuning C (on a Bb trumpet) and the B above it, and those notes tend to be very airy. But if I suck in to whistle I have a two octave range and the notes are clear.

I just pulled out my (Bb) trumpet and popped in my mouthpiece. The highest note I could play without really, really pushing it was a Bb above High C (Double High Bb, or Concert Double High Ab).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bach_again wrote:
If you are trying to correlate whistle range or tongue level etc... to playing range, you're following a fallacious premise. They are entirely different.

I totally agree.
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
I'm not fluent in the "C5" type nomenclature (probably should be, but it is what it is).

Looking at a piano, the 1st 'C' starting from the left is C1, so middle C is called C4. The numbering is based on the Ioanian scale - the note below C4 is B3.

This might help:

John Mohan wrote:
I just pulled out my (Bb) trumpet and popped in my mouthpiece. The highest note I could play without really, really pushing it was a Bb above High C (Double High Bb, or Concert Double High Ab).

That would be (concert) A6b

Hope this helps,
Gary
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: I need a favor Reply with quote

dkwolfe wrote:
Good evening;

I've had an idea in my head, and I could really use your help with figuring out if there is something to it. So, here's what I'd like you to do: please reply with the highest note you can play on a trumpet comfortably (Bb6, C7, G8, or whatever), and then what is the highest note that you can whistle.

For me, currently, I can play an Bb5, and I can whistle a C7.

Thanks,
D

Since I began practicing really hard my ability to whistle is more or less gone. Like Lionel I think itīs because of making the lips more muscular.
Not that I miss it. Better miss whistling than notes.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If trumpet playing and whistling were related Ted Weems would have been one heck of a trumpet player.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghelbig wrote:
John Mohan wrote:
I'm not fluent in the "C5" type nomenclature (probably should be, but it is what it is).

Looking at a piano, the 1st 'C' starting from the left is C1, so middle C is called C4. The numbering is based on the Ioanian scale - the note below C4 is B3.

This might help:

John Mohan wrote:

That would be (concert) A6b

Hope this helps,
Gary

Thanks Gary! How's the 914 doing? And I cannot remember - is it a 914 or a 914/6?
Betelgeuse215
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can play an F6 and can whistle an F7. I learned how to whistle last year when I would take breaks while practicing in a very boomy room
dkwolfe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bach_again wrote:

Good Morning;

Regarding the above statement (and I'm NOT trying to start a fight), there actually appears to be some sort of relationship. Except for myself and one other respondent to this thread (both of us can whistle approximately 1 octave above what we can play), everyone else who responded can play an octave above what they can whistle. That's almost a 3:1 ratio.

That said, there are several other factors to take into account before we can actually say anything definitive (so the quoted statement is still correct in many regards).

For me, this is both a personal and professional curiosity. Personal, because I'm a trumpet player, professional because I'm a physiologist and a biomechanist.

Thanks, one and all, for helping indulge some personal and professional curiosity.

D
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While living in Chicago I studied with George Bean. He had this theory that you should form the pitch with your whole air column. IE you whisper the note to you are playing. He also had me playing just short of actually vibrating the lips, but you could hear the pitch on the air coming through the horn. My accuracy improved substantially. He explained it as similar to lining up the lenses in a telescope or microscope so the image (pitch ) was clear.
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:
If trumpet playing and whistling were related Ted Weems would have been one heck of a trumpet player.

Elmo Tanner
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: