• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Identifying Red Rot

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sthomas98

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Identifying Red Rot Reply with quote

Hello,

I have been testing out a used C trumpet for the past week, and I have noticed a very light faded red/brown spot on the main tuning slide and the first valve slide of the trumpet. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with identifying if this would be red rot, or if it is just a discoloration in the brass? I have a picture attached. The horn has recently been relaquered.

IMG_4080.jpg

IMG_4079.jpg
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures not showing
But the 1st slide a bit odd place to get red rot
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
sthomas98

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I can't find a way to attach the pictures. The best way I can describe it is a very faded looking brown/dark red spot behind the laquer. On both slides mentioned above, the spots are about 1/10 inch in diameter. No white or black center. My guess is that it is a discoloration in the brass underneath the laquer. Has anyone had something like this that turned out to be red for down the road? (I clean all my instruments once every 2 months, and will start doing so with this one too)
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't sound like RR, because RR is usually pinkish, with a dark point in the middle. If you can see it from the inside, it will look like a crater. If you can't see it, get a piece of wire, and try to touch the inside of the tuning slide where you think that the RR might be. If you can feel a crater with the wire, then it might be RR. If you can't and it is perfectly smooth, than you are OK.

BTW if you want to prevent RR you need to dry your leadpipe and tuning slide after every playing session.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to host the pictures somewhere like Photobucket or something and then link to them.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
frankcameraska

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can dry my leadpipe with a leadpipe swab but how do you do it with the tuning slide ? Just blow water through the water keys right ?

Thanks

Bach 3C / Artisan 3C
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankcameraska wrote:
I can dry my leadpipe with a leadpipe swab but how do you do it with the tuning slide ? Just blow water through the water keys right ?

Thanks

Hi frankcameraska

You can dry both the leadpipe and tuning slide with a leadpipe swab. You remove the main tuning slide, re-insert just the leg that goes into the leadpipe, feed the chord of the tuning slide through the other leg of the main tuning slide, round the crook of the main tuning slide, down the leadpipe and out through the mouthpiece receiver.

I really hope that this will help.

Take care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
frankcameraska

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo Louise,

I'll try ! Thank you very much !

Bach 3C / Artisan 3C
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankcameraska wrote:
Hallo Louise,

I'll try ! Thank you very much !

Hi frankcameraska

You are very welcome.

It should be fairly straight forward.

My preference is for the H&W Brass Saver, which has a rigid chord.

i.e. https://www.amazon.co.uk/HW-Products-Brass-Saver-Trumpet-Brush/dp/B0002FP364/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1502787665&sr=8-6&keywords=hw+brass+saver

This is really easy to use, even on cornets.

With a swab with a chord, I do it this way. I'll try to explain it from memory, without having a trumpet/leadpipe swab in my hand.

I remove the main tuning slide, put the top leg in upside down with the bottom leg sticking up above the valves. I then hold my trumpet bell down and put the weighted end of the chord into the unconnected leg of the tuning slide. Once the weight has gone to the bottom, I rotate my trumpet, being careful that the spare leg of the tuning slide does not swing around and bang against the trumpet, so that the weight off the chord goes round the crook of the main tuning slide and into the leadpipe. By this time, I'm holding the trumpet mouthpiece receiver down and the weight fall through the mouthpiece receiver.

I prefer the H&W Brass Saver, because the rigid chord saves me having to rotate the trumpet for the weight to drop through. I can simply feed the chord through the unconnected leg of the tuning slide, round the crook of the tuning slide and out through the mouthpiece receiver, with the trumpet laying down on a secure surface. This is much preferable to me, especially with cornets.

I put a swab through around three times, drying it off each time, until it comes out dry. Another reason I prefer a rigid plastic chord is that you can also dry the chord whereas with a shoe lace style chord, even if you dry the leather swab, you are still putting through a wet chord. Probably the wider diameter of the swab dries up behind the wet chord.

I really hope that this will help.

Take care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
You have to host the pictures somewhere like Photobucket or something and then link to them.

Photobucket is now demanding money for third-party hosting, and has blocked access to every photo that yours truly and others have posted. I'm not inclined to pay.
https://yourbrass.com/
kmag
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally had the brass saver cord break on the second time I used it. I now use the ones that Tim Wendt sells here in the classified section.

I have one in every case and my practice area now. I pull out the tuning slide and reinsert the top leg. I drop it in the leg of the tuning slide and pull it through both the slide and the leadpipe at the same time. Reinsert tuning slide and I am done. Everyone has their own way but this is the easiest, and most thorough, method I have used so far.

1925 Holton trumpet
1946 Conn 80A
2012 Lawler C7
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmag wrote:
I personally had the brass saver cord break on the second time I used it.

Hi kmag

I'm not doubting what you are saying, but am nevertheless very surprised, as I have two of the H W Brass Saver's, use them daily, and have never had a problem.

I now use the ones that Tim Wendt sells here in the classified section.

I've got one of these also. I do like it, but find the plastic chord of the H W Brass Saver easier, especially with cornets.

I have one in every case and my practice area now. I pull out the tuning slide and reinsert the top leg. I drop it in the leg of the tuning slide and pull it through both the slide and the leadpipe at the same time. Reinsert tuning slide and I am done. Everyone has their own way but this is the easiest, and most thorough, method I have used so far.

Sounds the same as my method.

Take care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
kmag
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Louise,

I also find that is works great for me on the trumpet but takes more work getting it through my Cornet. It is an old Conn, and it is also the only Cornet I own.
I am not really sure why it is more work than my trumpets. Perhaps it is that I rarely play it and I am not used to the different wrap or the position of the water key.

1925 Holton trumpet
1946 Conn 80A
2012 Lawler C7
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmag wrote:
Hi Louise,

I also find that is works great for me on the trumpet

Hi kmag

Are you talking about Tim Wendt's leadpipe swab?

but takes more work getting it through my Cornet. It is an old Conn, and it is also the only Cornet I own.
I am not really sure why it is more work than my trumpets. Perhaps it is that I rarely play it and I am not used to the different wrap or the position of the water key.

I believe that it is just the longer leadpipe with the extra bend compared to the trumpet, and the narrower mouthpiece receiver, which makes using a leadpipe swab a little more difficult with a cornet.

Maybe I'm being thick, but I don't see how the water key position makes a difference.

Take care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
kmag
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Louise,

Yes I am talking about Tim Wendt's swab.

Sometimes the tip will hang up in where the hole is for the water key. Since it is only the weight at the end which keep it going and the cord is flexible. I have no problem on the trumpet but sometimes I do on the cornet and I need to shake it to get it loose and on its way. I believe the angle it approaches the hole is the hang up since, with the wider wrap, it comes to it at a different angle. My cornet is an old Conn 80A and there is no extra bend in the lead pipe, just a wider wrap.

1925 Holton trumpet
1946 Conn 80A
2012 Lawler C7
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmag wrote:
Hi Louise,

Hi Kurt

Yes I am talking about Tim Wendt's swab.

Thanks very much for the clarification.

Sometimes the tip will hang up in where the hole is for the water key. Since it is only the weight at the end which keep it going and the cord is flexible. I have no problem on the trumpet but sometimes I do on the cornet and I need to shake it to get it loose and on its way. I believe the angle it approaches the hole is the hang up since, with the wider wrap, it comes to it at a different angle. My cornet is an old Conn 80A and there is no extra bend in the lead pipe, just a wider wrap.

I understand now, thanks. I reckon that your suggestion is right, and that it is just the different angle owing to the wider wrap.

Take care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: