• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Kanstul 1000 - raw brass ? Any advise ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankcameraska

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Kanstul 1000 - raw brass ? Any advise ? Reply with quote

Hallo

I might be close to buying a Kanstul Chicago - the 1000 model

I'd like to order it in raw brass (just for a banal look reason - sorry for this ..!) also if I know most of those horns (and the Benges) were traditionally silverplated and less of them were perhaps laquered

Apart from the reason of being "historically correct" - which I respect anyway - do you see any "musical" reason for convincing me to place a regular silver plate or laquer order instead of a raw brass ?

Thank you for your advise !

Bach 3C / Artisan 3C
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really makes no difference. Get the finish you want. Use automotive wax to keep it shiny as long as possible, or let the patina set in straight away
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have corrosive body chemistry, it is better to silver plate. My wife's skin turns green, if she were costume jewelry that is brass. I have no such trouble.

I have had success keeping my raw brass flugelhorn nice and shiny with 3M Tarnishield. I know it's a silver polish, but it works especially well on brass, too. Much easier and more effective than Brasso. I use an old valve oil bottle to dilute it 50/50 with water and apply it on the horn, using a makeup brush to spread it around. Let the polish dry, as you would with silver plating, then buff it off with micro fiber towels. Gorgeous!

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, if you are REALLY focused on an unfinished brass appearance, you may (or may not) be able to order it in a "scratched lacquer" finish. A matte look without concerns about how you will react to raw brass.

Brad
frankcameraska

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo all
Thanks for your replies !

No, I'm not concerned about potential "medical" issues - I know my skin is ok with raw brass .. just wanted to know if I'd miss something "musical", sound/tone wise

I don't think so, but I'm just looking for some kind of push from more experienced people than me .. 😀

Bach 3C / Artisan 3C
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankcameraska wrote:
Hallo all
Thanks for your replies !

No, I'm not concerned about potential "medical" issues - I know my skin is ok with raw brass .. just wanted to know if I'd miss something "musical", sound/tone wise

I don't think so, but I'm just looking for some kind of push from more experienced people than me .. 😀

I have played silver plated brass alongside raw brass/copper. There is a difference, but it is probably more the bell material, not the plating. I have also played silver plated instruments next to identical clear finished. The silver seems to produce a more solid, slightly darker timbre than the modern polyester-acrylic finish. The differences are slight and probably only noticeable to the player and only if the two are played side by side.

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, having purchased a raw instrument lately, having a maintainable finish is better than raw. Raw is more work to keep looking nice and has no real advantage to the sound. A person needs to have a strong desire for the look of raw patina for it to be a good choice.

Oh, and if you ever want to sell the instrument, it will move if it has a finish. Maybe not, if it's raw.

frankcameraska

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Brian!

Bach 3C / Artisan 3C
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi frankcameraska

I would recommend against a raw brass trumpet. I also have no medical issues with raw brass, but my spare trumpet, a Boosey and Hawkes Oxford from the 1950s, had most of the lacquer missing when I bought it.

Admittedly this was an old trumpet of which the lacquer had worn off, rather than a new unfinished trumpet, and I simply polished it with brasso.

The result sadly was that it turned my hands black, and hence I've since had it re-lacquered. Maybe there is a product which would have prevented this, or maybe the black was owing to it being a old trumpet, but it has put me personally off raw brass.

I really hope that this will help.

Take care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have no problems with your hands turning black or green there is nothing against raw brass. In fact it's the most honest (non) finish.
And IF finish has any influence on the sound, raw brass is the best deal. If you want a horn for yourself to play on, I should not worry for the resale prices and things like that, it can be but nobody knows that for a fact.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: